Swans - leaving meaning. (PO now)

7 hours ago, Derek™ said:

It absolutely won’t.

Also strongly agreed on their live sets.  Hearing them workshop Frankie M and being pummeled by power chords and hypnotic grooves for 15 minutes was a top-tier live Swans moment, back in the day.

This 100%. I saw them on that tour and I swear they both showed me god and curdled my milk. It was exhilarating.

Made some more progress with Swans' discog this week. First was Holy Money, then Greed after realizing they were related and it would be good to hear them back to back, then Children of God. I expected to like Children of God more than I did on the first spin. I'm not sure what wasn't working for me, but clearly it'll need more listens to sink in like anything else. Holy Money was my favorite of the 3, being more immediately accessible, and I played it again this morning on the way to work. I arrived depressed but that's ok. Right now, as I'm wrapping up my workday and anticipating my commute, I started White Light... again. This will be my third listen. Honestly this one worked for me the first time, and is looking like my favorite atm. Gonna have to revisit The Great Annihilator soon – my intro back in the 90s.

Not sure if I'll dig around some more early material before the new one drops or move on to some post-reunion stuff. Probably would make sense to check out newer stuff, but the length of all the recent ones is pretty daunting. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Album is great. Definitely more subdued than the last trilogy of LPs but still goes disjointed at times (Sunfucker, The Hanging Man) although not as chaotic. The prettier moments are really where its at though (What Is This, Leaving Meaning).

Vinyl sounds nice and quiet and clear, packaging is solid like the all the Young God stuff. Only a bit bummed that Some New Things isn't on the vinyl and some tracks are edited for length to fit in on a 2xLP. Wish they just went for the 3xLP and added an extra song or two. 

44 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Album is great. Definitely more subdued than the last trilogy of LPs but still goes disjointed at times (Sunfucker, The Hanging Man) although not as chaotic. The prettier moments are really where its at though (What Is This, Leaving Meaning).

Vinyl sounds nice and quiet and clear, packaging is solid like the all the Young God stuff. Only a bit bummed that Some New Things isn't on the vinyl and some tracks are edited for length to fit in on a 2xLP. Wish they just went for the 3xLP and added an extra song or two. 

Have you listened enough to digital vs vinyl to hear which tracks are edited? I'm pretty well acquainted with this album at this point and I'm absolutely dreading what is missing. I intentionally tried picking things out on multiple listens that the album didnt need but just haven't been able.

It’s all been down hill since Raping  A Slave. That was when music could still horrify people. I remember mentioning the track to a guy at work at the time and he was truly horrified and confused that there could be a song called Raping A Slave, then when I played it for him he was totally overwhelmed in a really bad way.  🤯

18 minutes ago, Mourning Wood said:

It’s all been down hill since Raping  A Slave. That was when music could still horrify people. I remember mentioning the track to a guy at work at the time and he was truly horrified and confused that there could be a song called Raping A Slave, then when I played it for him he was totally overwhelmed in a really bad way.  🤯

Lol shut the fuck up 

On 9/9/2019 at 10:56 AM, easteracrobat said:

Categorically incorrect

Abso-fucking-lutely. Their post-TGM tour had to have been one if not the best live performances I´ve ever witnessed. There´s just no comparison to any other band. Even with earbuds they absolutely destroy. Just sheer amazement. I only wish I´d heard of them earlier because they had a live here back in 2010 after My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky.

After The Seer hit there was just so much novelty due to the sheer amount of hype around them returning. So being late to the party , To Be Kind used to be my favourite but now I would agree that most of their back catalogue is pretty amazing.

Edited by CaptainHerbalLife