PO Now - Turnover - Altogether (Out on November 1st)

4 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Shhhh you’ll offend sunshine and he’ll think you’re a pleb. It doesn’t matter that this album is hot garbage at all.

I just think it's hilarious that we have a bunch of adults bickering over a band.

The problem isn't that this album is bad on its own merit. The problem is, like deafening alluded to, whenever people talk about Turnover, they're talking about PV.  Comparing GN and Altogether to PV really hurts them as independent albums. Like, yeah, GN sucks in comparison to PV, but I like quite a few of the songs because I take them as they are. Same with Altogether. If you don't like Altogether on its own, that's fine, not your thing. But not liking something doesn't mean it's bad. 

Pretty sure I said this before, but it’s really funny how bent out of shape y’all are getting about a band that changes their sound on every album they’ve released. Now they’re ripping off Captured Tracks band from 2010 that we’re ripping off C86/Flying Nun bands. Haha

14 minutes ago, erasedtapes said:

I just think it's hilarious that we have a bunch of adults bickering over a band.

The problem isn't that this album is bad on its own merit. The problem is, like deafening alluded to, whenever people talk about Turnover, they're talking about PV.  Comparing GN and Altogether to PV really hurts them as independent albums. Like, yeah, GN sucks in comparison to PV, but I like quite a few of the songs because I take them as they are. Same with Altogether. If you don't like Altogether on its own, that's fine, not your thing. But not liking something doesn't mean it's bad. 

I agree with what you’re saying but I can’t help but at least judge it in the context of their body of work. I don’t like it cause it isn’t PV, I just don’t like it, unfortunately.

also you might note people were just kinda sounding off with their opinions till sunshine decided he had to climb up into his ivory tower and start hitting his keyboard with his pecker. I even said I normally pass by his shit but I’m cranky 🤷‍♂️

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

30 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

I don’t like it cause it isn’t PV, I just don’t like it, unfortunately.

Exactly. People assuming you only dislike these albums just because they are not Peripheral Vision is a lazy argument.

It is possible for an album to lack any depth, be forgettable, and hold no lasting value to a person. This isn't new, and Turnover didn't invent the boring album, they just perfected it (ohhhhhhhhhhh!)

4 minutes ago, deafening said:

Exactly. People assuming you only dislike these albums just because they are not Peripheral Vision is a lazy argument.

It is possible for an album to lack any depth, be forgettable, and hold no lasting value to a person. This isn't new, and Turnover didn't invent the boring album, they just perfected it (ohhhhhhhhhhh!)

"Words of wisdom, Lloyd. Words. Of. Wisdom."

14 minutes ago, deafening said:

You can @ me next time, man. It's not a lazy argument––what I said holds true for the majority of people criticizing Turnover's new stuff. Notice how my response literally says "if you don't like the new stuff on its own, that's fine." But you can't blame me for being fucking sick of the majority of people whining that it's not PV when that's not the point.

58 minutes ago, Spirit Level said:

How is "because it's not PV" a lazy argument?

It's a perfectly reasonable and valid argument

It's an easy argument to assume that people don't like Good Nature or Altogether because they are not Peripheral Vision. It just seems like a lazy way to brush off someone's negative opinion of the album(s) when that may not be the case at all.

Good Nature and Altogether, on their own, as separate entities, fall flat to me, but I do get why people like them. I do think Altogether has a better chance of growing potential though, and I liked the jazzy elements.

2 hours ago, deafening said:

It's an easy argument to assume that people don't like Good Nature or Altogether because they are not Peripheral Vision. It just seems like a lazy way to brush off someone's negative opinion of the album(s) when that may not be the case at all.

Good Nature and Altogether, on their own, as separate entities, fall flat to me, but I do get why people like them. I do think Altogether has a better chance of growing potential though, and I liked the jazzy elements.

Oh, I was saying that "It's not PV" is a perfectly reasonable argument for not liking altogether.

All good

9 minutes ago, Spirit Level said:

Oh, I was saying that "It's not PV" is a perfectly reasonable argument for not liking altogether.

All good

It's valid sure, but not reasonable by definition. Let's take a look at the argument from a different angle and see if you agree:

Sunshine: Hey Spirit Level, what do you think of the new Turnover record?

Spirit Level: Is it Peripheral Vision? If not then I don't like it.

rea·son·a·ble
/ˈrēz(ə)nəb(ə)l/
adjective
(of a person) having sound judgment; fair and sensible.

You can dislike the record for any reason you want and it's valid, but reasonable doesn't mean the same thing and can't be tied to your argument unless you look at it in the way Deafening outlined.

• 2 weeks later...