PO: Sufjan Stevens/Timo Andres - The Decalogue (LP/ Deluxe LP)

AlexH.

Oscar- and Grammy-nominated composer, vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Sufjan Stevens will release his acclaimed score for Justin Peck’s ballet The Decalogue October 18 digitally and on deluxe edition, with CD and standard to follow on December 6, 2019.

Performed by the pianist Timo Andres, the recording is the first time the score, premiered during the New York City Ballet’s 2017 season, is available to the public. 

The Decalogue is the fifth collaboration between NYCB Resident Choreographer Peck and Stevens, following 2012’s Year of the Rabbit, 2014’s Everywhere We Go, 2016’s The Countenance of Kings and most recently, 2019’s Principia. The piece was widely praised upon its premiere; The New York Times lauded the “beauty and charm” of Peck’s choreography as well as Stevens’ “romantically modernist études.” 

Brooklyn-based composer-pianist Timo Andres is a Nonesuch Records artist, who has written major works for the Boston Symphony, Carnegie Hall, the Barbican, the Takács Quartet, the Concertgebouw, and elsewhere. He performs regularly with Gabriel Kahane, and has frequently appeared with Philip Glass, Becca Stevens, Nadia Sirota, the Kronos Quartet, John Adams, Ted Hearne, and others. As a pianist, Timo has performed at Lincoln Center, for the New York Philharmonic, the LA Phil, at Wigmore Hall, for San Francisco Performances, and at (le) Poisson Rouge. Upcoming highlights include a curated program for the Cincinnati Symphony (featuring Dance Heginbotham and a performance of Andres’s cello concerto, Upstate Obscura), and a solo piano recital for Carnegie Hall. Previous work with Sufjan Stevens includes the orchestration of “Principia” for Justin Peck and the New York City Ballet.

There's a standard edition shipping December 6th, and the deluxe is shipping sooner(!): October 18th, and it sounds pretty sweet:

Stoughton tip-on gatefold jacket, 180-gram vinyl, 40 page songbook, 9x12 art print, special bonus photography booklet (limited to AKR only), and download card.

https://music.sufjan.com/album/the-decalogue

https://store.asthmatickitty.com/products/sufjan-stevens-the-decalogue?variant=30120081784903

The music itself sounds relatively avant-garde, I guess we'll see how the whole thing sounds in a month:

Bought. As a true-blue Sufjan fanboi I threw my money at the PayPals before I knew the title of the album - quite happy after hearing the first released track. It's funny, I was just listening to All Delighted People and telling my wife that I wish Sufjan would do more piano work - the dude delivers.

1 hour ago, bluethumb said:

Bought. As a true-blue Sufjan fanboi I threw my money at the PayPals before I knew the title of the album - quite happy after hearing the first released track. It's funny, I was just listening to All Delighted People and telling my wife that I wish Sufjan would do more piano work - the dude delivers.

I love All Delighted People!Remember when he released this and then two months later dropped Age of Adz?

I find myself revisiting ADP more than Age of Adz. 

12 hours ago, TonyPerkins said:

I love All Delighted People!Remember when he released this and then two months later dropped Age of Adz?

I find myself revisiting ADP more than Age of Adz. 

Same, it's such an underrated EP and that last piano piece on side D is incredibly entrancing. I'm probably in the minority in that Age of Adz is one of my all-time favorite Sufjan albums, but it reminds me a bit of what Bright Eyes did when he released I'm Wide Awake/Digital Ash - a simultaneous release of a fully-acoustic and a fully-electronic exploration of material. ADP feels very much like the acoustic footprint for Age of Adz, but either way both are fantastic!