Recently inherited father's vinyl collection

FieldMice

My father passed away recently and while he didn’t have many worldly possessions he did have A LOT of vinyl records which he treasured. He owned his own business as a night club disc jockey during the 80’s and 90’s and some of my earliest memories are being with him in the DJ booth memorized by the turntable light illuminating the spinning decks.

An entire wall of his home was dedicated to the floor to ceiling shelves of vinyl. Pictured here is just a small sampling (maybe 5%) of what he had that I was able to go through so far and take home (I have more pics and video). He spun anything from The KLF to Bowie to Fleetwood Mac and everything in between. He had a binder with every record catalogued and numbered and put a sticker on each record with the corresponding catalog number. They are well worn, none near mint. They are worn because this was his livelihood and passion. Him and my mom would load up their car with heavy crates and head to each new gig.

I’m glad to inherit his collection and along with hundreds of vinyl records I also received his two turntables, both Technics SL-1200MK2 in mint condition. I am a bit overwhelmed with the sheer magnitude of the collection, there are many I just can’t keep due to space. I’d like to bring them all to my house and invite friends and local vinyl enthusiasts over to peruse. I am not trying to make money and will keep all of the vinyl that I hold dear. I didn’t have a very close relationship with my father in the last years of his life for many complicated reasons but there is always one thing I knew he wanted, for me to take and care for his vinyl collection. I will honor that and treasure the copies I get to keep and make sure the rest go into great hands. I wanted to share this with a community which would appreciate this share.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, FieldMice said:

My father passed away recently and while he didn’t have many worldly possessions he did have A LOT of vinyl records which he treasured. He owned his own business as a night club disc jockey during the 80’s and 90’s and some of my earliest memories are being with him in the DJ booth memorized by the turntable light illuminating the spinning decks.

An entire wall of his home was dedicated to the floor to ceiling shelves of vinyl. Pictured here is just a small sampling (maybe 5%) of what he had that I was able to go through so far and take home (I have more pics and video). He spun anything from The KLF to Bowie to Fleetwood Mac and everything in between. He had a binder with every record catalogued and numbered and put a sticker on each record with the corresponding catalog number. They are well worn, none near mint. They are worn because this was his livelihood and passion. Him and my mom would load up their car with heavy crates and head to each new gig.

I’m glad to inherit his collection and along with hundreds of vinyl records I also received his two turntables, both Technics SL-1200MK2 in mint condition. I am a bit overwhelmed with the sheer magnitude of the collection, there are many I just can’t keep due to space. I’d like to bring them all to my house and invite friends and local vinyl enthusiasts over to peruse. I am not trying to make money and will keep all of the vinyl that I hold dear. I didn’t have a very close relationship with my father in the last years of his life for many complicated reasons but there is always one thing I knew he wanted, for me to take and care for his vinyl collection. I will honor that and treasure the copies I get to keep and make sure the rest go into great hands. I wanted to share this with a community which would appreciate this share.

spacer.png

Where do you live if you're going to be inviting people over?

3 minutes ago, FieldMice said:

I live in the Austin Texas area. Lots of record stores for sure but would like to try to find friends / family and people I know would appreciate them before taking them that route.

Yeah, I'd imagine friends/family and collectors near you would enjoy a crack at those/give you a bit more money than a store. Was hoping you were Portland based so I could check it out. Best of luck! Sorry to hear about your dad.

Sorry for your loss. I'd keep anything that you deem decent or just keep mostly everything. Your tastes may change as you watch the years pass and if if you could find a place to keep them, you should. Enjoy the sound and have fun listening and examining the covers. That is the reason most of us enjoy records over just streaming or tiny CDs.