PO Now: Queens of the Stone Age Reissues - Songs for the Deaf, Rated R, Era Vulgaris

23 hours ago, OU818 said:

Does anybody here have an OP SFTD to compare the master? I’m still holding off on these until I know how they sound

Its cut by Chris bellman and pressed at Pallas. That's basically as good as it gets 

Edited by youspinmeround

• 2 weeks later...

My standard black edition from bestbuy.com arrived today. I'm thoroughly satisfied with the packaging. The spine is closer to a classic dual gatefold thickness and the records themselves are not obnoxiously thick. Feels like a normal release and not some overbloated 10 lbs. behemoth of extraneous raw material and that pleases me. Now I just hope the cut is better than the UK original.  That one sounds a little crispy/burnt/hot. I wonder if we'll ever know whether this got cut from CD or a stereo master closer to the production process.

2 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

My standard black edition from bestbuy.com arrived today. I'm thoroughly satisfied with the packaging. The spine is closer to a classic dual gatefold thickness and the records themselves are not obnoxiously thick. Feels like a normal release and not some overbloated 10 lbs. behemoth of extraneous raw material and that pleases me. Now I just hope the cut is better than the UK original.  That one sounds a little crispy/burnt/hot. I wonder if we'll ever know whether this got cut from CD or a stereo master closer to the production process.

It was cut by chris bellman...what do you think?

23 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

It was cut by chris bellman...what do you think?

Touche. I at least assumed it was going to be better than that. My point is it could either be stellar or merely "good enough" but at the time that I posted that, I did forget that particular detail. So yeah, I'm assuming it will at least be better than clipped to hell but to what degree, I'm still in the dark on. Working the late shift tonight so won't be able to listen for another few hours. Still, the fact that it comes from a major leads me to believe that there's a chance they may have only supplied a mere retail CD copy to cut from. I don't think that would be up to him and the majors have been known to do that.

35 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Touche. I at least assumed it was going to be better than that. My point is it could either be stellar or merely "good enough" but at the time that I posted that, I did forget that particular detail. So yeah, I'm assuming it will at least be better than clipped to hell but to what degree, I'm still in the dark on. Working the late shift tonight so won't be able to listen for another few hours. Still, the fact that it comes from a major leads me to believe that there's a chance they may have only supplied a mere retail CD copy to cut from. I don't think that would be up to him and the majors have been known to do that.

You are making no sense. Trust me chris did not work with a retail cd copy

Edited by youspinmeround

1 hour ago, youspinmeround said:

You are making no sense. Trust me chris did not work with a retail cd copy

Usually the engineer doesn't get to strongarm the worldwide major record label to influence what the source mix is going to be for the cut. That's just not the power dynamic. I would love to believe that we don't live in a world where that would ever happen but it does happen.

Here's to hoping its not the case with this title.

58 minutes ago, marc32137 said:

The $40 non-subscription version of SFTD says sold out on the VMP site. Did they already go on sale or does it just default to that until they actually go on sale? I’ve never bought anything from there so I don’t know what the process is. 

They are more than likely Sold Out. Mine came with a split and they Said they didn't have replacements and that they were sold out and instead sent me a refund. 

16 hours ago, marc32137 said:

The $40 non-subscription version of SFTD says sold out on the VMP site. Did they already go on sale or does it just default to that until they actually go on sale? I’ve never bought anything from there so I don’t know what the process is. 

I picked up one one ebay last week for 50 bucks shipped not that bad of a mark up for now

Just cranked Rated R and am currently cranking SFTD and I have no complaints. Sounds baller. I enjoyed R a lot more today than I remember enjoying it in the recent past. Part of me wants to say these might be slightly altered mixes, in addition to being new vinyl cuts, from what I'm used to hearing from any other format. And I only mean to imply that there are very minute variations from the other formats I've played these albums on but a few things felt a little different than I remembered. 

Anyone who's on the fence about getting, especially if you don't have any vinyl edition, I would just grab these if I were you. Who the fuck knows when they'll dry up. Don't kick yourself later. Looking forward to hearing the new press of Lullabies even more now.

21 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Just cranked Rated R and am currently cranking SFTD and I have no complaints. Sounds baller. I enjoyed R a lot more today than I remember enjoying it in the recent past. Part of me wants to say these might be slightly altered mixes, in addition to being new vinyl cuts, from what I'm used to hearing from any other format. And I only mean to imply that there are very minute variations from the other formats I've played these albums on but a few things felt a little different than I remembered. 

Anyone who's on the fence about getting, especially if you don't have any vinyl edition, I would just grab these if I were you. Who the fuck knows when they'll dry up. Don't kick yourself later. Looking forward to hearing the new press of Lullabies even more now.

SFTD is due to arrive tomorrow from Amazon, but they don’t have a ship date for Rated R yet.  Can’t wait!

10 hours ago, Sclemmer said:

59 minutes ago, zdkaiser said:

Bellman was on vacation. His assistant cut the album from his notes. Still sounds great, and I agree, Pallas is a mighty fine pressing plant.

The discogs link that he’s replying to is for s/t, so maybe I’m missing some greater context but it looks like he’s specifically talking about the self titled reissue from a few years back

On 11/22/2019 at 8:07 AM, DecayToDeath said:

The discogs link that he’s replying to is for s/t, so maybe I’m missing some greater context but it looks like he’s specifically talking about the self titled reissue from a few years back

18 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Either a solid troll/joke, or read the last few replies in this thread 

Not really. The link refers to the ST that came about a few years ago. Also done at Bernie Grundman and has the "I" in the deadwax so Chris could have been replying to that.  CB didnt appear to be directly commenting on SFTD so its not really clear

23 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Not really. The link refers to the ST that came about a few years ago. Also done at Bernie Grundman and has the "I" in the deadwax so Chris could have been replying to that.  CB didnt appear to be directly commenting on SFTD so its not really clear

Exactly. I’m not trying to troll anyone, just trying to clarify. CB is clearly referring to self titled and makes no mention of SFTD. 

37 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

10 minutes ago, spaceghost said:

Exactly. I’m not trying to troll anyone, just trying to clarify. CB is clearly referring to self titled and makes no mention of SFTD. 

The quote right above their first post says the ! is in the deadwax on SFTD too though, which points to it not being cut by CB. Still may have been mastered by him though. I guess it still leaves room for doubt, but it seems like if he'd cut it, it would have his usual CB in there.

8 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

The quote right above their first post says the ! is in the deadwax on SFTD too though, which points to it not being cut by CB. Still may have been mastered by him though. I guess it still leaves room for doubt, but it seems like if he'd cut it, it would have his usual CB in there.

That’s the thing. VMP publicized on their site that it was cut by BGM and pressed at Pallas. I think people also have posted that it has the ! In the dead wax. I’m just trying to see if the standard edition is the same run, which would mean it is also.