Jason Molina - "Live at La Chapelle" (January, Secretly Society first press)

sc395.jpg

https://www.secretlystore.com/live-at-la-chapelle-jason-molina

Tracklist not available yet. Secretly Society edition is blue vinyl, I've heard rumblings that a regular black press will come in the spring.

I believe this blurb is from the record club newsletter:

"On a rare day off during Magnolia Electric Co.’s 2005 European tour, a pair of fans in the south of France convinced Jason Molina to abandon the promise of leisure to play a show in an old church in Toulouse. Now, fifteen years later, the result is making its way into the world for the first time via Live at La Chapelle, an 11-track album of Molina’s performance at the former church squatted and converted into a hub for the arts.

Recorded with just a static microphone and a minidisc on June 7th, 2005, in front of a reverent crowd of 200, Live at La Chapelle is aglow with the hushed murmurs and whispers of an engrossed audience, of Molina’s stripped-back performance reverberating to the rafters. The neighbors’ penchant for calling the police with noise complaints meant acoustic shows only, so Molina split the difference and came with his electric guitar, choirboy voice, and Magnolia Electric Co. member Michael Kapinus’ occasionally guesting on trumpet.

The sparse record finally made its way Secretly Canadian in 2014, and six years later, as part of the process of unearthing work from the extensive Molina archive, Live at La Chapelle will finally be widely heard.

Here, Molina remarks some of his canonical work as well as the more obscure, deeper cuts in the special environment of La Chapelle. Nowhere better to hear a solo performance of Jason Molina’s catalog than in a house of worship, a cavernous structure with ceilings nearly high enough to contain the impossible reach a holy, lonesome voice."

4 minutes ago, Jnaught said:

Do you have to sign up to order this? 

For the colored vinyl,  yeah, you do. Noloveforned (the moderator at the official JMo board) said that the Secretly Society newsletter mentioned a standard black version coming in the spring that, I imagine, you wouldn't have to sign up for. 

I emailed Secretly Canadian and they replied:

“The new Molina is a Secretly Society exclusive”

So that’s sort of a bummer. Does anyone know if they sell out ahead of the subscriptions ahead of time? November and December records have no appeal to me so I’d prefer to wait and hope for better selections down the line if I have to sign up to get the Molina record 

The colour is unique to Secretly Society but the LP is not, according to the Secretly Society e-mail I received on Tuesday:

Molina's Live at La Chapelle will be available exclusively from Secretly Society on limited blue dream splash vinyl. The record has never been released before, it won't be widely available for folks to hear until later this spring, and Society members are receiving the only color variant of the title.

I subbed for the purple Axxess and Aces a few months ago and really liked it. But they are bad for releasing unique pressings to records that recently came out. Strand of Oaks' new record got a Secretly Society pressing about a month or two after it came out in stores, so lots of people ended up with two copies. You can skip a record and take the next month's but you can only do that once every six months. 

I'll sign up for this but I'll wait till after this month as I already have the Faye Webster record. 

In that case I’m wondering if they’re being purposefully vague because they want people to sign up. That email just confirms it will released later “to hear” meaning not necessarily another vinyl pressing while also saying it would be the only color variant meaning perhaps there was a regular black version.  For what it’s worth that email I quoted from Secretly Canadian was in response to me asking if a regular pressing would be available at some point. But even that response seemed like it could be worded vaguely... 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, bonedigger said:

Has anyone been able to confirm If there will be a regular pressing available for this release? 

This has not been confirmed either way. 

I get more and more excited about this every day. It should be shipped around this time next week. 

Edited by simple_torture

These have started to arrive. Apparently it's hand-numbered out of 450 copies. Here's the tracklist:

A1 East St. Louis Blues

A2 Trouble In Mind

A3 31 Seasons In The Minor Leagues

A4 Carmelita

A5 Montgomery

A6 Hold On Magnolia

B1 In The Human World

B2 Bowery

B3 Nashville Moon

B4 Leave The City

B5 I've Been Riding With The Ghost

What's with all the fuss? This isn't that great. Vocals and guitar are tinny---swallowed up by the room. The recording doesn't do Molina justice which makes me believe that there's not much out there to mine from in terms of live recordings and discarded tracks/recordings. I can't remember what was said, if anything at all, in Riding with the Ghost as far as unheard material is concerned.

1 minute ago, streetwaves said:

What's with all the fuss? This isn't that great. Vocals and guitar are tinny---swallowed up by the room. The recording doesn't do Molina justice which makes me believe that there's not much out there to mine from in terms of live recordings and discarded tracks/recordings. I can't remember what was said, if anything at all, in Riding with the Ghost as far as unheard material is concerned.

ill buy your copy.

4 minutes ago, streetwaves said:

I remember from that book that Secretly has a ton of unreleased material in the vault. 

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, email went out today that this is coming on black vinyl this week. Secretly Society members can order today, up for general sake 2/5. The email says the black edition is limited as well.

You asked and we listened. We've brought Jason Molina's Live at La Chapelle back, this time on black vinyl, available exclusively to Secretly Society members now, in advance of its wider release on February 5. That means you have two days to get it all to yourself! As Secretly Society members, we wanted to give you first dibs on ordering this limited release – which has quickly become a favorite of ours – and at the member price.