PO Now: Dead Meadow - Feathers (2019 Reissue)

I don't know if this will gain any traction at all but I've been a big Dead Meadow fan for a long time, bit by bit the band have been re-issuing their old records  under their own label Xemu records I figured they would hit a wall around album 3, 4 and 5 as those were originally issued by Matador who might not give up the rights. That being said whilst I was scouring the web I stumbled across details for a 2019 re-issue of their 4th studio album Feathers.

Dead Meadow: Feathers [2019 Reissue]

here's the blurb:

Feathers is the fifth* album by the time Washington, D.C. based rock band Dead Meadow. It was released in 2005 by Matador Records on CD and LP now about to reissued by Xemu Records under license by Matador Records. The upcoming release will be an exact copy of the original double vinyl and CD packages with original art and masters. In addition to the reissue this new product will include a "demo rarities CD' that will be included additionally in both the CD and LP releases. This demo CD will include outtakes from the 2004 recording session as well as demos with different song structure/ arrangements and even a couple tunes that were axed off the final album. The fourth full-length studio album by Dead Meadow, was the first to include an additional guitar player with Cory Shane. Previously as well as for the majority of the band's career the DC to LA transplants have been a power-trio at essence. This departure in line up wasn't the only other noticeable difference the band was also shifting from pure 60's-70's heavy psych sounds to a more gentle and layered new-psych sound almost more influenced by dark Brit-pop and early new wave bands like the Cure and Stone Roses but through their own hazy interpretation. The different approach shocked current fans and gained lots of new ones as well as garnering solid underground praise at a much needed and delicate time of Dead Meadow's career. Revered and as equally hated** this divisional record would be a landmark in the band's history and important piece of the puzzle that has kept the boys rocking and relevant.

*its only fifth if you count the live album "Got Live If You Want It!" released by Bomp! records

** I personally don't remember this album garnering any critical press it got an 8 on pitchfork so I don't get this statement at all but whatever

EU/UK preorder: https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstore/recordstore/Feathers-2019-Reissue/6A3Y0000000

I'm sure this will become available from other retailers state side including Xemu themselves who as far as I can tell haven't spoken up about this just yet. Typically I just picked up a great quality OG press about 2 months ago whilst I was clearing out my collection of non essentials but that Demo's and offcuts cd does make me tempted to grab the CD version. If it's true to the original pressing that means black vinyl but the fact this one is getting a repress does give me hope for Old Growth which is currently the only studio album I'm missing.

Releasing on 15th November dates may vary by territory