PO Now: Beck - Hyperspace

Not sure if anyone noticed this but there is also a limited 7" for sale (one per customer) with two covers:

A side - “Hypocrite” by Cage The Elephant
B side - “I Turn My Camera on” by Spoon

That looks like something I would want as well....

https://shop.beck.com/products/beck-limited-7?variant=29489931944034

18 minutes ago, axisrecapital said:

Not sure if anyone noticed this but there is also a limited 7" for sale (one per customer) with two covers:

A side - “Hypocrite” by Cage The Elephant
B side - “I Turn My Camera on” by Spoon

That looks like something I would want as well....

https://shop.beck.com/products/beck-limited-7?variant=29489931944034

Not Beck, though. 2 cover versions. Easy pass 4 moi.

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Mourning Wood said:

I tried to stream this on Spotify this morning and I couldn’t get through a single song. I’ve been a beck fan since Odelay but I think it’s finally over between us. Damn. 😫

It happens. I didn’t like enough of his last record to get it and I won’t be getting this one either. The days of me buying everything from an artist because I like some or most of the artist’s catalog are long gone. Beck is a diverse artist, so it’s understandable if you like one album but another doesn’t click. 

32 minutes ago, kannibal said:

Beck is a diverse artist, so it’s understandable if you like one album but another doesn’t click. 

Beck has been my favorite musician since 1994. I have copies of literally everything he's ever recorded, from early demos to obscure B-sides. 

That said, he hasn't released a good album in 10+ years.

It's no longer an issue of "I don't like this album as much as the last," but an issue of "this is generic, unlistenable garbage." I still haven't made it through Colors, and after trying to listen to the singles from this album, I have no interest in hearing the rest. 

His unique humor and unbridled originality has morphed into seriousness and predictable adult-contemporary bore. 

2 hours ago, cannonfunk said:

I still haven't made it through Colors, and after trying to listen to the singles from this album, I have no interest in hearing the rest. 

His unique humor and unbridled originality has morphed into seriousness and predictable adult-contemporary bore. 

I agree with the part I quoted, 100%. I’ll even say that when I first heard Colors, I thought surely there’s some ironic humor in here, poking fun at the new indie style that he is copping, but no. No, there isn’t.

7 hours ago, Mourning Wood said:

I tried to stream this on Spotify this morning and I couldn’t get through a single song. I’ve been a beck fan since Odelay but I think it’s finally over between us. Damn. 😫

I actually went SLIGHTLY in the other direction.  I still don't like most of what's on there but I am digging the songs that are almost synth versions of Sea Change songs like "Dark Places".  

On 11/23/2019 at 4:28 AM, Mourning Wood said:

Completely agree. What a total letdown. This and the Colours are totally awful. Maybe third time lucky for the next one? Not holding my breath.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:36 PM, ZeroNowhere said:

I saw Beck a few years ago for the first time and was super stoked.  It's one of the worst shows I've ever seen.  I think I've moved on but will give it a listen with an open mind.

Wow this could be my own post and is my exact experience! I saw him a few years back (in between Morning Phase and just prior to colours). What an awful, predictable, overly produced show. It looked pretty and the band was tight, but it just felt so phoned in. Grace Jones came on late and only played like 5 songs and absolutely cleaned Beck up. She is great live. Beck is not. I will not pay money to see him again. 

Edited by mikeburns

• 8 months later...