Audio cuts out suddenly

Hi all,

I just got my set-up for my 40th ( 😕 ) it’s a Project Debut Carbon Recordmaster going through Audioengine HD6 speakers. I have them connected via an optical cable. Every now and then the audio cuts out completely from the speakers. I can hear the audio very faintly from the turntable, but that’s it. If I power the turntable off and on again, it fixes the problem. Is this cable issue or something bigger? Thanks everyone - I’m very new to the hobby so forgive my naivety :) 

I agree with poster above. I just looked up the turntable you have. The Debut Carbon is a fantastic line, but when you're using the Optical out, you're actually doing way too much conversion of the sound and to me, it defeats the purpose of having a turntable at all (see below).

Record playing [analog]- Recordmaster's ADC [analog to digital converter] - optical out [digital] - HD6 speakers' DAC [digital to analog converter] - music from speakers [analog]  

The ADC is designed for folks who want to rip tracks from records to make uncompressed audio on computers.  You'll be way better off using the RCA connection, which is designed for analog:

Record playing [analog] - Recordmaster's built in phono amp [analog amplification] - HD6 speakers RCA in [analog] - music from speakers [analog]

No digitization, and also fewer rooms for errors, or dependencies on ADC or DAC chips. 

• 2 months later...