PO: Frances Quinlan (Hop Along) - Likewise - 1/31

AlexH.

38 minutes ago, corey. said:

It def made me happier with my yellow VMP variant after knowing it's just regular sky blue. Plus the VMP is foil stamped / numbered so that's cool too. None of the variant's match the artwork particularly well haha

They really don’t.  I was thinking the same thing when they were announced, too.  Surprised there wasn’t a cream variant or something basic.  It’s all good though.  I’ve been itching for some new Hop Along and I suppose this is the next best thing.

I like all the variants but blue is best by default because of the two signed prints. Mine doesn't seem to be coming before Thursday at midnight so that'll be my first time hearing it and I can't wait. How does it compare to the Hop Along stuff for those that listened already? I'm not too worried it won't deliver after the singles though. 

1 hour ago, Sh100by said:

I like all the variants but blue is best by default because of the two signed prints. Mine doesn't seem to be coming before Thursday at midnight so that'll be my first time hearing it and I can't wait. How does it compare to the Hop Along stuff for those that listened already? I'm not too worried it won't deliver after the singles though. 

It's available to stream here if you don't want to wait:https://www.npr.org/2020/01/28/799335901/first-listen-hop-along-frances-quinlan-likewise

I got the "Emerald Smog" variant, and it is beautiful. Sad I missed out on the art prints, but otherwise really satisfied with this version. Loving the tunes as well; quite different than Hop Along with more minimalistic instrumentation. The Built to Spill cover is wild. Posted photos of my copy on Instagram.

Edited by Alan P

So I’m not disappointed, but my initial takeaway is that this album isn’t half as sticky as a Hop Along record.  On paper, it’s totally akin to early, stripped-back Hop Along.  I’m about that.  It really provides a platform for Frances to showcase her vocal prowess and the additional instruments are nice little flourishes.  But nothing has really sunk its hooks into me, which has me suspecting that there is a kind of magic that happens when the band collaborates with their songwriting.  Perhaps I’m being biased and my love of a good guitar line is clouding my early judgement.  But a bulk of Likewise feels like it sort of just exists.  In one ear and out the other.  Whereas with any Hop Along record, there are a generous handful of “ooh, shit” moments on round 1, and even more on round 2.  This was especially true of BYHOD, for me.

Like I said, I don’t regret my pre-order by any means.  I hope I’m wrong and this will just take a bit more time and effort to fully reveal itself and click.  But for now I gotta’ say that I love ya’ Fran... but please oh please do not give up on Hop Along anytime soon.