PO Now: Whirr - Feels Like You (out on oct 31)

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Is it actually good or are we fanboying? Need to decide if I should save first listen for a ritualistic turntable sesh.

If I’d gotten in on the preorder I’d say turntable ritual all the way. It’s my favorite way of listening to new albums (that is of course unless they turn out to suck). It’s all in the surprise.

1 minute ago, jrodan said:

I think you would’ve been better off going with magnum opus. 

But that can happen at any point in their discography, no?

Looking around and there’s no indicator that a swan song has to be particularly good.  Everything I thought I knew was a lie – a mediocre or even bad swan song is entirely possible.  Guess I lose the internet for the day.  Donating my copy as punishment for my transgressions.

4 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Also, their first release was Distressor with the Eyes Wide Shut cover and now this has EWS artwork too, so it’s safe to say that they’ve come full circle. Seems like it might be it.

Still haven’t seen EWS but does the final track sample from it?  Sounds a lot like Distressor’s opener which instantly gave me “full circle” vibes, I agree.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

But that can happen at any point in their discography, no?

Looking around and there’s no indicator that a swan song has to be particularly good.  Everything I thought I knew was a lie – a mediocre or even bad swan song is entirely possible.  Guess I lose the internet for the day.  Donating my copy as punishment for my transgressions.

I was just trying to give you a term that actually worked, man. 

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Still haven’t seen EWS but does the final track sample from it?  Sounds a lot like Distressor’s opener which instantly gave me “full circle” vibes, I agree.

I haven’t heard the album yet but someone else said it was from the end of EWS. Whereas Distressor was a clip from the beginning of EWS. See the movie, it’s so atmospheric and the vibes just fit so well with Whirr’s aesthetic and vibes. They played a whole ass monologue from a scene in the film at the end of their set years ago.

2 minutes ago, phantasmatt said:

I haven’t heard the album yet but someone else said it was from the end of EWS. Whereas Distressor was a clip from the beginning of EWS. See the movie, it’s so atmospheric and the vibes just fit so well with Whirr’s aesthetic and vibes. They played a whole ass monologue from a scene in the film at the end of their set years ago.

It's a great movie, but not my favorite Kubrick, by a mile. 

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Would you rank it that high just yet, yourself?  It's tough for me to say but I was really impressed with my first listen.  I could see it becoming their magnum opus for me, depending on how it holds up.

I think it’s incredible. I’ve listened like 5 times already today. Distressor was always my favorite (bought the og UK version as whirl) and I feel like this one is a great combo of that and Sway. Just really beautiful and definitely a high note (maybe the highest) to go out on. 

3 minutes ago, jrodan said:

I think it’s incredible. I’ve listened like 5 times already today. Distressor was always my favorite (bought the og UK version as whirl) and I feel like this one is a great combo of that and Sway. Just really beautiful and definitely a high note (maybe the highest) to go out on. 

Very nice.  I've only put in the one listen so far but I think – as much as I enjoy the various sounds they've dipped their toes into – Distressor is probably my favorite, too.  The drumming doesn't feel quite as urgent or energetic as their earlier stuff, on FLY, but I think they've truly nailed the guitar tones and chord progressions.  I liked a whole lot of what I heard on first spin and am definitely revisiting it tonight or first thing tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Very nice.  I've only put in the one listen so far but I think – as much as I enjoy the various sounds they've dipped their toes into – Distressor is probably my favorite, too.  The drumming doesn't feel quite as urgent or energetic as their earlier stuff, on FLY, but I think they've truly nailed the guitar tones and chord progressions.  I liked a whole lot of what I heard on first spin and am definitely revisiting it tonight or first thing tomorrow.

Oh man, on repeated listens the drums hit so hard to me. Maybe not urgent but god damn they really hitttttt. Also, Loren’s voice seems up just a smidge more than before. 

That being said, them not touring doesn’t bum me out too much, cuz that dude was fucking Shy Ronnie in a live setting. Legitimately laughed when I saw them. 

1 minute ago, jrodan said:

Oh man, on repeated listens the drums hit so hard to me. Maybe not urgent but god damn they really hitttttt. Also, Loren’s voice seems up just a smidge more than before. 

That being said, them not touring doesn’t bum me out too much, cuz that dude was fucking Shy Ronnie in a live setting. Legitimately laughed when I saw them. 

Unpopular opinion, it seems, but I said the same thing to my buddy who agreed to tag along when I caught them years back.  Where'd you see them?  Our show was at a tiny hole-in-the-wall venue in SF that usually has stellar sound quality.  Really think it was their mixing choice above all else; even the guitars were pretty muddy and undistinguishable.  The audience was definitely shouting at them to up the vocals, too.  Bit of a bummer but it sounds like others have had much better luck than we have.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Unpopular opinion, it seems, but I said the same thing to my buddy who agreed to tag along when I caught them years back.  Where'd you see them?  Our show was at a tiny hole-in-the-wall venue in SF that usually has stellar sound quality.  Really think it was their mixing choice above all else; even the guitars were pretty muddy and undistinguishable.  The audience was definitely shouting at them to up the vocals, too.  Bit of a bummer but it sounds like others have had much better luck than we have.

Dude I think we may have been at the same show. I saw them once in Oakland at the new Parrish and once in SF, I forget where. Honestly both times i saw them, he could not be heard whatsoever. Not hating, cuz I could never have stage presence, but man oh man. 

I saw them at a very small venue/room where Adventures opened up for them. They filled the ENTIRE place with fog, you couldn’t see 2 people in front of you. The organizers tried stopping the show one song early, turning the lights on and saying “shows over! Thanks everyone!”  because of all the fog, but Whirr ignored it and played the final song lol. It was packed. I have some great video from it.

I had good earplugs in, so the sound didn’t bother me, but it was LOUD, the vocals were definitely low, almost nonexistent. It’s still one of the most memorable shows I’ve been to, the atmosphere was great. The instruments weren’t terrible sounding, but it was all so loud that if you didn’t have earplugs, there’s no way you’d be able to decipher what was going on. 

Edited by phantasmatt

13 minutes ago, phantasmatt said:

I saw them at a very small venue/room where Adventures opened up for them. They filled the ENTIRE place with fog, you couldn’t see 2 people in front of you. The organizers tried stopping the show one song early, turning the lights on and saying “shows over! Thanks everyone!”  because of all the fog, but Whirr ignored it and played the final song lol. It was packed. I have some great video from it.

I had good earplugs in, so the sound didn’t bother me, but it was LOUD, the vocals were definitely low, almost nonexistent. It’s still one of the most memorable shows I’ve been to, the atmosphere was great. The instruments weren’t terrible sounding, but it was all so loud that if you didn’t have earplugs, there’s no way you’d be able to decipher what was going on. 

Wow the infamous “we invented fog” show. Big time jealous.