PO Now: Whirr - Feels Like You (out on oct 31)

10 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Exactly that. And then interestingly enough...G.L.O.S.S. then called it quits shortly afterwards.

Wasn’t that because they signed some record deal then realized they were going against all their own DIY ethics? I don’t think the one goof from Whirr cyber bullying them factored in.

8 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Wasn’t that because they signed some record deal then realized they were going against all their own DIY ethics? I don’t think the one goof from Whirr cyber bullying them factored in.

The cyberbullying played nothing into their break-up. I think it may have been the record deal you mentioned and more. If the Wikipedia entry is legit...it was the record deal and stress:

In the summer of 2016 G.L.O.S.S. was offered a record deal by the well known punk rock label Epitaph Records. Smith expressed on her Instagram account that the band considered taking the $50,000 deal because it would present them with an opportunity to donate a percentage of the money to social and economic causes that the band supports, such as Black Lives Matter, helping the homeless, disabled queers, etc. However, because of Epitaph's affiliation and distribution deal with Warner Bros., the band decided to turn down the offer because they did not want to contribute financially to a large corporation. The band had so far self-released their records and cassettes on their guitarist’s label, Total Negativity, and felt it was better to keep things that way.[1]

Soon after announcing that they would not be signing a deal with Epitaph Records the band gave a statement to popular punk and hardcore zine Maximum Rock and Roll stating that they had decided to end the band. The reason for the breakup revolved around the mental and physical stress that being in a touring band involves, and the toll this has taken on their home lives, community involvement, and personal growth. They felt that the large amount of visibility and attention the band had gained made it difficult for them to stay "honest and inward". The statement also explained that the buzz around the band and the polarizing effect that it had on people was beginning to overshadow the band itself, and that this was not a healthy position for the band and its members to be in.

47 minutes ago, jhulud said:

You are 100% correct. It got them a greater exposure while making WHIRR look like a bunch of assholes.

This is why my Whirr records went away. I know it means nothing to them that I won't buy their shit anymore, but it does give me extra money to buy other records.

29 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

This is why my Whirr records went away. I know it means nothing to them that I won't buy their shit anymore, but it does give me extra money to buy other records.

I don’t want to get too off topic but I’ll just say this: if I got rid of any records from bands that are jerks, I’d have a very small record collection. 

Edited by unknown pleasures

13 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

I don’t want to get too off topic but I’ll just say this: if I got rid of any records from bands that are jerks, I’d have a very small record collection. 

No doubt. We all decide what our tolerance level is. I don't expect to like or agree with every music artist I listen to. Phobes and fascists are generally the lines I draw.

Edited by lexicondevil

9 minutes ago, kylec123 said:

My order number was 919398......so idk how to interpret  it.  

4 minutes ago, januarytwenty said:

Mine was #919411. I assume it’s last three digits? I just preordered about 5 minutes ago. 

Something must have happened after the first 250 then. Either way theres a zero percent chance you guys are in the first 250 so your order # is moot.

Fun fact I zoomed in on the credit sheet and this was recorded at Time Well Studio in Indiana which means Cloakroom had something to do with producing it (I'm almost positive). They're all analog and proud of it, this being vinyl only has a great chance it's actually mastered well for the format. Hyyyyype.

10 minutes ago, azvd said:

Oh, boy. Judging by the sample, looks like Diiv is getting their "rock/shoegaze AOTY" status threatened.

I wonder if they kept the production duties with Jack Shirley.

I f*ckin love this band.

Tennis System made the best shoegaze album this year already. To answer your question though Jack Shirley didn't produce.

8 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

Super exited for this record, I hope they get back on the road too. They always put on a good, loud show. 

Yes, a very NOISY show where we hear zero vocals in clouds of fog. I am ready to get GAZED again though.

Edited by tetsuodaironman

Now that this is sold out I wonder how they sold almost 900 copies of a pressing limited to 650. Obviously 650 plus the 250 numbered copies equals 900 though so either they just decided to ignore those as being part of the press or it's a different variant too. They took the numbered description out when they sold through the 250 too btw so technically the description for the last 650ish orders stating it was limited to 650 was correct if that indeed were the case.

1 hour ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Yes, a very NOISY show where we hear zero vocals in clouds of fog. I am ready to get GAZED again though.

I liked what I heard when I saw them live, so yeah let’s get gazed. 

now there’s someone on reddit saying they won’t tour for this