Third Eye Blind - Screamer

Tommy

It’s my second least favorite, in front of Ursa Major, but it’s still fun and I’ve been listening to it non-stop. The slick pop production and slight tweak away from their guitar focus rubbed me wrong at first but this is packed with those 3EB ear worm melodies and Stephen Jenkins’ satisfying delusion. I just think Dopamine and OOTV had better 3EB power and I give them extra points for being committed, focused rock records, so it’s a thumb up even if it’s near the bottom for me.

Edited by Oblivions

5 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Really? I heard the single and hated it so much. And I love literally all their albums before this. 

I'm with you.

Absolutely hated the single, saw some of the other new songs live and they didn't really so it for me, but I love their first 3 albums. Holding off to hear the whole album before deciding, but likely not a buy for me.

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

For the love of JESUS please listen to the album as a whole

This!  I gave it two spins when I first got it.  It was a quick grower and one of my favorites this year.

There’s also two LP versions.  The retail/standard is white with pinkish red splatter, comes with a printed innersleeve and a label layout similar to the artwork.

The other is the 10 Bands, 1 Cause version which by the pictures looks like pink on pink splatter, a plain (?) pink innersleeve, but a different label layout.  Seems like this was in production first since it’s more available than the standard.

Edited by curator

2 hours ago, [Banned User] said:

You’re telling me the stretch of songs from “Losing a While Year” through to “Hows It Gonna Be” is worse than an album with the song “2X Tigers” on it..?

I don’t think anyone is comparing this one with the S/T.  That one is classic and stands in its own.  It’s just nice to hear a band that started in that era to be releasing good, relevant music in 2019.  Also ‘2X Tigers’ is great!  A hip hop song on a 3eb album sounds odd, but strangely works well especially after a few listens.

3EB have been delusional and extravagant in a fun, dumb way since the very beginning, so releasing a trap-inspired hip hop song is kind of on brand. 

The way I see it, S/T through Out of the Vein are straight up, sincere efforts of dumb, fun music. Ursa Major was a bit of a shallow attempt to replicate the 3EB sound and stay alive as a band that was in zombie, legal-battle mode and it trails a bit behind. Dopamine is a weirdly straight-forward and timeless, self-contained rock record that bought the band a second wind. Everything since then has been a hodge podge of decent/embarassing songs that are all pretty fun to listen to (even 2x Tigers) if you are OK singing along with and/or laughing at Stephen Jenkins.

Final part of my essay is to echo the Pitchfork review and say SJ deserves some credit for trying to make something worthwhile. Listen to that new Sugar Ray record or any of the pivot-to-country records from 90s alt-rock bands (Nine Days, Lit, Stain'd front man dude) and then listen to 3EB and hear the difference between phoning it in and being delusional enough to still put effort into what you do.