Would you take a quick survey about record collecting?

Hey Vinyl Collective - I'm new to this forum, but have been collecting records for about 6 years now. If this post is in the wrong thread, please let me know!

Long story short, I'm taking a UX Design bootcamp and my capstone project is to design an app that serves record collectors like us. I'm currently researching the industry and the behaviors of record collectors, so I would greatly appreciate a few minutes of your time to answer some questions. Here's a link to the survey.

As a note, I'm also looking for about 5 people to interview for 30-minutes each in order to gain deeper insight into the world of record collecting. Interviewees will be paid $10 for their time. If you're interested, please provide an email address in the final question of the survey.

Also, if you have any ideas or suggestions about app features that would improve your vinyl experience (from discovery, to purchasing, to organizing, to listening), please feel free to share!

2 hours ago, rwtibbitts said:

Hey Vinyl Collective - I'm new to this forum, but have been collecting records for about 6 years now. If this post is in the wrong thread, please let me know!

Long story short, I'm taking a UX Design bootcamp and my capstone project is to design an app that serves record collectors like us. I'm currently researching the industry and the behaviors of record collectors, so I would greatly appreciate a few minutes of your time to answer some questions. Here's a link to the survey.

As a note, I'm also looking for about 5 people to interview for 30-minutes each in order to gain deeper insight into the world of record collecting. Interviewees will be paid $10 for their time. If you're interested, please provide an email address in the final question of the survey.

Also, if you have any ideas or suggestions about app features that would improve your vinyl experience (from discovery, to purchasing, to organizing, to listening), please feel free to share!

What problem is your app trying to solve? That's the fundamental question you need to answer before you put together a survey like this. Most of these questions will provide no value to your project. You need to find out the frustrations record collectors currently have, and then your app should address those. Either that or you need an app that solves a problem record collectors don't know they have yet. 

TELL ME. WHAT CAN YOUR APP DO THAT OTHERS CANT?! NOTHING. 

You're wasting your time. If you've been collecting for 6 years then why the fuck do you need a survey/interviews from random people when you could just ask your friends?  Be gone with your college project and do something else.

Calm your tits Satan. Jesus.

I don't have 10, even 5 vinyl savvy friends I discuss any of this with. Most peoples eyes glaze over and I can tell they don't care. He went to a place where people would definitely care. And I'm pretty sure he's gonna do it even if you don't think it'll be useful.

Okay, I want your app to do two things:

1. Allow me to scan my records each time I listen to them and record the number of listens

2. Tap into the Spotify API and associate the number of streams with each record in my collection

If you do those two things, I will download it. I won't pay for it, but you could maybe make a few bucks a month in ad space. 

Here's a wild one for you - this would sell me in half of a heartbeat:

Keeping up with new releases can be daunting. I subscribe to many label email lists and things like VC/Reddit help, but I still miss releases fairly often. If your app could aggregate all of the record labels I have in my existing collection and provide a feed of new/upcoming records being released (maybe something like Discogs's "New Releases" feed, but personalized to the labels I have in my collection), I would fawn over that feature .

2 hours ago, bluethumb said:

Keeping up with new releases can be daunting. I subscribe to many label email lists and things like VC/Reddit help, but I still miss releases fairly often. If your app could aggregate all of the record labels I have in my existing collection and provide a feed of new/upcoming records being released (maybe something like Discogs's "New Releases" feed, but personalized to the labels I have in my collection), I would fawn over that feature .

This would be flooded with major label reissues. 

3 hours ago, bluethumb said:

Good idea. I'm not sure if you're familiar with or use rateyourmusic.com (RYM), but it's the primary tool I use for cataloging what I've listened to, what I'm looking forward to, as well as making AOTY and other lists. And I discover a ton of stuff from other users' lists. Because so much of what I listen to is digital these days, physical media sites like Discogs aren't useful for tracking that stuff. RYM displays an "Upcoming" list on my homepage, alerting me of upcoming releases based on my collection. It's not specifically label-based, but artist based for things I own or have cataloged in any way. Unfortunately this also includes singles, and artists you may no longer care about but still have cataloged, so you have to wade through that. It also depends on things actually being entered into the database. I personally add new releases to the database several times a week after learning about them elsewhere. Anyway, the site is ugly and primitive, but the userbase is large and I've been using it for 12 years so I'm invested. https://rateyourmusic.com/~sidewinder03

1 hour ago, Tidal Wave said:

True, but somehow I've not found this to be a problem on RYM because people aren't as vigilant about cataloging reissues.

5 hours ago, bluethumb said:

In Discogs, add all of those labels or artists to a list and select "Notify me of new submissions related to this list." You'll get a daily email of all releases that were added the previous day. It works fine and you'll get all the info you want and more, but currently there's no way to select an option for filtering. For example, filtering out the new submissions to only show what's new on vinyl.

20 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

That's true with no modifications whatsoever, but it's not too difficult to imagine a layer of comparative processing either by catalog number, artist/album title, or even something more intuitive such as a web/page scrape to find keywords like "repress" or "reissue." We're talking pie in the sky wishlist functionality so I'd still like something like this.

In all honesty I live in a collection of mostly smaller labels that don't do a ton of reissues so I hadn't thought of that - your point is totally valid though.