PO: Zao - Reformat/Reboot (remixes by Anberlin, Leverage Models, Makeup & Vanity Set, Zombi, Metavari, Emanuel and the Fear)

daegor

73144906_10156870462043215_3208218292393

https://officialzao.bandcamp.com/album/reformat-reboot

1. Reformat/Reboot (Jeff Gretz Remix)
2. Xenophile (Joseph Milligan Remix)
3. The Observer (Leverage Models Remix)
4. Vessel Collapsed (Dave Hidek remix)
5. Broken Pacts (Makeup And Vanity Set Remix)
6. Antivirus (Steve Moore Remix)
7. Left In Pieces (Metavari Remix)
8. Apocalpyse 2.0 (Emanuel Ayvas Remix)

Formats:

• Picture Disc - Limited edition of 600 numbered copies on 12 inch Picture disc. Comes in die-cut sleeve.
  • CD - Edition of 500 compact discs housed in a 5.25 Floppy Disc. Numbered out of 500. Completely hand assembled by Zao.
  • Cassette - Limited/Numbered edition of 100 on Lime Green Cassette.
  • NES Cartridge - The entire Reformat/Reboot album on a classic Nintendo Entertainment System cartridge. Playable in an NES system. NOT 8-Bit audio. This is the actual album audio. Lyrics and liner notes will appear on your TV screen. Comes with an Expansion Audio Chip and instructions on installing. NOTE: These will NOT work in top loading NES. Limited to 100.

Note that the Cassette and NES Cart are already sold out, but more are coming at some point.  They also mentioned they MIGHT do a non-picture disc pressing in the future.

One track released so far:

https://officialzao.bandcamp.com/track/the-observer-leverage-models-remix

29 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

Initially I was bummed that I missed it at 9:56 am but judging by how well they’ve run their label/imprint I’m sure we can get another crack at it. 

You absolutely will.

1) initial release - bulk of copies

2) 2nd wave - reserves after initial orders have arrived safely

3) 3rd wave - getting the last couple copies from us at a show.

it isn't truly gone until you no longer see the item on the page, (marked sold out or not). 

I truly believed these were going to take an hour or two to move due to the price tag. 

25 minutes ago, gretz said:

I truly believed these were going to take an hour or two to move due to the price tag. 

I balked (but still bought), I get it though.  I'm sure it was a lot of hours to design and program that thing.  Where do they get the carts and circuit boards/chips? I assume they have to re-purpose existing carts or is there someone out there creating new blanks?

23 minutes ago, daegor said:

I balked (but still bought), I get it though.  I'm sure it was a lot of hours to design and program that thing.  Where do they get the carts and circuit boards/chips? I assume they have to re-purpose existing carts or is there someone out there creating new blanks?

i am almost positive they are getting them fresh. there is a whole underground NES game subculture where new games are happening.

https://retrotainmentgames.com/

2 hours ago, gretz said:

You absolutely will.

1) initial release - bulk of copies

2) 2nd wave - reserves after initial orders have arrived safely

3) 3rd wave - getting the last couple copies from us at a show.

it isn't truly gone until you no longer see the item on the page, (marked sold out or not). 

Thanks for the info Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gretz said:

Thank you! I may be biased but I can honestly say it sounds better than some non-picture discs I have. We were very surprised at how well it turned out.

The pic disc does sound surprisingly good. I usually avoid them like the plague, but I couldn't pass on getting this. Also, thanks for properly packaging this. So glad it wasn't in one of those heavy PVC  sleeves that always react with records and ruin them.

13 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

The pic disc does sound surprisingly good. I usually avoid them like the plague, but I couldn't pass on getting this. Also, thanks for properly packaging this. So glad it wasn't in one of those heavy PVC  sleeves that always react with records and ruin them.

This too. It was in a plastic inner-sleeve, in a cardboard cover, in a poly sleeve. That kind of attention to detail is great.

Edited by somethingvinyl

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, daegor said:

Stoked to hear that they haven't stopped bothering with represses after the FoG BS

EDIT:  Though technically they might be referring to represses of current, independent, material.

I think they would have said represses instead of reissues. I'm hopeful that they did mean their back catalog. I'm still willing to throw money at Fear on vinyl.

19 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

I think they would have said represses instead of reissues. I'm hopeful that they did mean their back catalog. I'm still willing to throw money at Fear on vinyl.

Technically meeting in the middle of Represses/Reissues.  Not straight represses... different sources, different packaging. Stuff that has been on vinyl before but put out on vinyl in a better way. 

19 hours ago, daegor said:

Stoked to hear that they haven't stopped bothering with represses after the FoG BS

We learned a lesson on that one. This is being handled differently.