P.O. The Rentals - Q36

The Rentals put out a new song. I think they're announcing something today. Hopefully an album and pre-order. Yesterday, Matt Sharp posted a clip of smokey and the bandit captioned "tomorrow..."

I'm looking forward to this. I know he was working with Nick Zinner, Ronnie Vannucci, and Dave Fridmann

Edit: Just saw this go up - https://therentals.bandcamp.com/ First pressing on Translucent Gold colored vinyl for advance orders. limited to 500 copies only available here!

Edited by deftbarley

5 minutes ago, craigeduk said:

Still waiting for the 1st 2 albums on vinyl

I wonder who owns those? 1st album would be a great candidate for Run Out Groove if it was owned by warner. Odds are it is because Warner owns everything. As long as they don't burn down the warehouse that holds the masters.

25 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

I wonder who owns those? 1st album would be a great candidate for Run Out Groove if it was owned by warner. Odds are it is because Warner owns everything. As long as they don't burn down the warehouse that holds the masters.

Matt Sharp had previously said that the 1st album (maybe the 2nd as well, can't recall) would be coming to vinyl at some point, but that was quite a while back now. Think maybe in 2016 with an early 2017 expected release, so a long while back!

As they came out on Maverick/Reprise they would have been Warners, so I'd assume they still own the rights.

5 minutes ago, glass realms said:

I get that Matt is probably financing this entire album but $37 shipped for a single LP is a bit much.

It's 2xLP. I wonder if they're only pressing 500 or if there will be a black version to follow? There's probably not much margin left after pressing and shipping 500 double albums. Probably just enough to pay to get them made and have someone ship them.

Whoops. Missed the bit about it being a double LP. He'll most definitely sell through 500 copies though. He has enough of a fanbase to do so. But I'll wait for a bigger pressing/cheaper version. Definitely looking forward to the vinyl pressing of ROTR though. It sounds like it's already been (re)mastered for vinyl. Hopefully it happens sooner than later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, unravelled said:

Personally,  I thought Lost in Alphaville was a really good album. 

Def need presses of the 1st 2. 

Lost In Alphaville was a real slow burn but nostalgia aside, it's probably the most solid front to back. The sound and feel of return is tough to beat but the songs themselves are better now, imo.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 2:44 PM, deftbarley said:

It seems that I'm the only one into this but the full album was released today and it's really great. It's nothing like the old stuff. Not that it's a good or bad thing, just different. First pressing sold out but there's going to be more. Just posting this in case there's any other fans out there...

I’m digging it too

still hoping one day we get pressings of their first albums. 

Edited by derby625

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...