PO Now: Arab Strap - Philophobia

Not sure if this will resonate with anyone here but Chemikal Underground have just announced a re-issue of Arab Strap's second album Philophobia, the first vinyl reprint in 21 years.  Personally love this band and they quietly re-issued the debut album "The Week Never Starts Around Here" earlier this year so maybe this is the start of a full run of re-issues, although I'm not sure if "Elephant Shoe" will get the same love as that was on Go Beat! not Chemikal.

Won't paste the album art cos it's a nude painted portrait of Aidan's girlfriend from back in 1998. I mean it's not really scandalous but a lot of you guys scan this site at work.

Here's the word from the horses mouth:

Available to preorder now and is released on the 6th of December. The first 100 preorders include a signed postcard by Aidan & Malcolm.

Twenty-one years after its initial release, Arab Strap’s second album Philophobia is reissued on vinyl, having been out of print for twenty years. The 2LP heavyweight vinyl comes in a wide spined sleeve and includes a 320kbps MP3 download card.

Philophobia was recorded on the outskirts of Glasgow in the early incarnation of CHEM19 Studios with engineer/producer Paul Savage & at Cava Studios in Glasgow with engineer Geoff Allan. Initially released in 1998, it was the follow up to the band’s 1996 debut The Week Never Starts Round Here.

Instrumentally ambitious, Philophobia is adorned with sepulchral guitar, trumpet, cello & Scottish rainfall, providing a most beautiful backdrop to Aidan Moffat’s bold lyrical presentation as he articulates experiences most of us are too embarrassed to even think about; confessional, intimate, insightful and hilarious, ‘Philophobia’ remains a literate & musical revelation.

‘Philophobia’ - (from Greek "φιλέω-φιλώ" (love) and "φοβία" (phobia)), is the fear of falling in love / emotional attachment.

Preorder from the label here:

https://shop.chemikal.co.uk/browse/chemikal-arab-strap/products/arab-strap-philophobia-vinyl-reissue-2019 (Warning again link has the art which could be construed as NSFW)

£20 for a double lp is a pretty good deal. I imagine it will make its way to other retailers too.

19 hours ago, Skacel said:

I have the box set but may pick these new reissues up. I wonder if they’ll repress Monday At The Hug & Pint.

Id easily snatch that and the red thread if they do. When they reformed n played in 2016 they did release a self titled compilation n I think that sold out in physical form. The label shop doesnt have any physical stock at least. If these sell well enough I could see them doing the lot save for the ones on different labels.