Just wondering a few things.

Hello VC.

I've been reading/watching reviews and trying to come up with a stylus and cartridge upgrade for my AT-LP120.  I'm on the fence between the Ortofon 2m Red and the Nagaoka mp-110 (coming from the AT95E)

Another thing I've considered is just leaving my TT as-is and selling it.  Use the money towards another deck - I really like the setup included with the Fluance RT-85.

If I were to keep the table I have now, aside from the cart/stylus upgrade - I intend to remove the preamp, get a heavier counterweight and headshell.  So my upgrades alone are pretty much the cost of the LP120.

Which end result would you go for?

Regards,

Duran Durandall

Edited by Duran Durandall
clarification

I have owned both cartridges and much prefer the Nagaoka. I found the Ortofon too clinical and harsh at times. The Nagaoka was warmer and much more fun to listen to.  Both are good starter cartridges but what you choose would be dependent on your tastes.

I personally would go for a custom Uturn turntable with acrylic platter and cue lever(other options available) over a Pro-Ject. I have owned both and preferred the Uturn. It's hand-built, sounds great for the price, and feels of overall better quality than the Pro-Ject. I would put the Nagaoka on the Uturn for a total of ~$400. Or you could go with the Ortofon preinstalled on the Uturn for $75, total ~$370.

Uturn is also built in Massachusetts, has a 30-day return period, and a 2-year warranty.

Good luck!

On 11/16/2019 at 10:11 AM, Smellman said:

I have owned both cartridges and much prefer the Nagaoka. I found the Ortofon too clinical and harsh at times. The Nagaoka was warmer and much more fun to listen to.  Both are good starter cartridges but what you choose would be dependent on your tastes.

I personally would go for a custom Uturn turntable with acrylic platter and cue lever(other options available) over a Pro-Ject. I have owned both and preferred the Uturn. It's hand-built, sounds great for the price, and feels of overall better quality than the Pro-Ject. I would put the Nagaoka on the Uturn for a total of ~$400. Or you could go with the Ortofon preinstalled on the Uturn for $75, total ~$370.

Uturn is also built in Massachusetts, has a 30-day return period, and a 2-year warranty.

Good luck!

I feel like you just sold me on buying a new U-turn... and I'm not even looking for a new table, ha!

And just to play devil's advocate, you can get a Debut (even the III I have now) sounding pretty good with a few upgrades. A possible third option would be to go for the 2M Blue. This will set you back roughly $220, but I've been super happy with mine for almost five years now and although I've never owned one, a quick search seems to favor the blue greatly over the red... I'd bet it gives the U-turn a run for it's money but you'd have the Debut maxed out - purchasing a "better" cart than the Blue would be a bit wasted on that table.

Edited by bluethumb