PO Soon?: Loma Prieta - Last (6/30/2023)

zaoza

New single must be the precursor for their next LP thru Deathwish. Already on Spotify when it hits November 12th.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4lXx8UTcZcHEcci9C3OUac?si=ua0rvs5DTqCq3w-nJFNfDg

https://deathwishinc.com/collections/loma-prieta/products/loma-prieta-continuum-b-w-fate

Edited by zaoza

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Fuck, I’ve been jonesing for new Loma Prieta for what feels like forever.  Cannot wait.

Same. Ever since they posted IG story updates where they went to record at Atomic Garden months earlier, plus a screenshot of dropbox with #LOMA2019, I knew they’ve been sitting on it. About time.

13 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/continuum/1483282932?i=1483282937

a little different from anything from self portrait but that makes sense it’s been 4 years. It’s still Loma through and through - I love it 

Wow.  Those vocals are a wild departure, out of the gates.  But I love the energy the track is brimming with.  Are they dipping their toes into post-punk a bit?  I'm all over this PO – hopefully it drops tomorrow morning.

"Continuum b/w Fate" is a new two song single from Loma Prieta, recorded by engineer Jack Shirley (Deafheaven, Oathbreaker). A-side "Continuum" is artistic editorial in the selfdamning that many face on a day to day basis. Playing as an examination of the perpetual motion that contemporary society demands of each one of us. Musically it glides infectiously with new depth and fuzzed out control. B-side "Fate" uses Pixies-esque lightness to veil the weight of its message before erupting into musical chaos. Here they disguise disgust with melody while singing "Drugs and God the same distractions / Lay on the dirty floor and stare at the ceiling, like it was a planetarium dome". Expanding their unmistakeable screamo approach into powerful Fugazi-like territory.

Already up at a couple sites such as the one below. Update from DW imminent.

https://shop.season-of-mist.com/loma-prieta-continuum-fate-7-vinyl

I'm guessing it's the same MO like when Self Portrait was released. They put out Love b/w Trilogy 0 first, before proceeding with SP down the line. Can't recall the exact gap, but not that long between the two.

Edit:

Checked my email history, ordered Love 7" in July (shipped out in August) and then ordered Self Portrait in August (shipped out in November).

Edited by zaoza

1 hour ago, TheWindBlower said:

Hello gang, this track is nice. Is there an LP that you'd recommend to start with? I've slept on this band. Thanx.

As a fair warning, this track is nothing at all like their previous work.  I think it shares a bit of the distortion they’re known for, but the shrill / screamed vocals hiding low in the mix are definitely front and center on everything prior.  I’d maybe try Dark Mountain or Last City.  Both are fierce and ripe with angular guitars, which is sort of the “Loma” sound I sign up for time and time again.  They’re also both quite brief so if they’re not your cup of tea, you’re only out ~20 minutes.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

As a fair warning, this track is nothing at all like their previous work.  I think it shares a bit of the distortion they’re known for, but the shrill / screamed vocals hiding low in the mix are definitely front and center on everything prior.  I’d maybe try Dark Mountain or Last City.  Both are fierce and ripe with angular guitars, which is sort of the “Loma” sound I sign up for time and time again.  They’re also both quite brief so if they’re not your cup of tea, you’re only out ~20 minutes.

Excellent, I wouldn't mind the vocals being turned up a bit anyway. I'm not a big fan of the low-mixed vocals trend going on in hardcore at the moment. You da man, as usual, Derek. Thanks for the rec. I'll start there tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Excellent, I wouldn't mind the vocals being turned up a bit anyway. I'm not a big fan of the low-mixed vocals trend going on in hardcore at the moment. You da man, as usual, Derek. Thanks for the rec. I'll start there tomorrow.

I just looked and Dark Mountain isn’t available for streaming which is bizarre to me.  If you like what you hear and want to check that out, drop me a line and I’ll hook you up.

Also I think a lot of people would say I.V is the crowd jewel in their discography.  It’s such a good record and takes grimy production to new heights as far as I’m concerned.  Don’t sleep on that one at all, if their earlier stuff clicks with you.

Hopefully you’ll join us on the hype train for the new record.

• zaoza changed the title to PO Soon?: Loma Prieta - Last (6/30/2023)