PO Now: Caspian - On Circles (1/24/2020)

zaoza

8 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Dude, I love them both. I talked to Phil for like half an hour about it. 

“Unabashed optimism and an imminent journey. That is Flowers of Light man. All the way.” -Phil 

I feel like breaking a hiatus is a good time to give ya some info on the pressing details if ya care for it. 

I’ll be at the show Saturday and pretty stoked for it. I also got tickets for the LA and San Diego shows. You going? 

Always down for pressing details if you’re at liberty to disclose them.  Especially these mystery 3.  I’m guessing one must be a tour variant?

I wish I was hitting those Southern California shows.  The band has graced me with a night at a new venue way up north-state, which saves me a whole lot of driving.  Small, cozy venue – it’s been years since I’ve seen them and I can’t wait to catch them once more in an intimate space.

I could be mistaken but I think I recall the band saying that D&D was very much a “dark” record for them.  A lot of reflection, and perhaps even a bit of mourning over the loss of Chris.  I love the atmosphere on that record and still find it to be such a desolate, beautiful, crushing album.  It would make sense that they’re onto a new chapter, and in a place where they can afford to write “brighter” tunes to mix things up.  Can’t wait to hear the rest of what they’ve got in store.

6 minutes ago, justin_cole12 said:

Nice to see Matt back 😀😀 I'll hold off for a little while until more is announced. Most of my other Caspian records are a splatter variant so I'll probably follow that trend.

Figured I’d pop back in for a Caspian release. :)

My best guess for the other three are:

Tour

Standard

Indie Retail

If so, you can imagine when those will be available. I’ll let everyone know as I find out more. 

Anyone else seeing them on Saturday in Beverly? 

11 hours ago, Derek™ said:

It's like the climax of Halls of Summer stretched out for an entire track.  I'm way into it.

Shit this is such a perfect description of this.  Song bangs real hard.  

My Yip concerns have melted away.  Bass thumps nicely & nothing sounds buried in the mix.

4 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Shit this is such a perfect description of this.  Song bangs real hard.  

My Yip concerns have melted away.  Bass thumps nicely & nothing sounds buried in the mix.

Totally.  I’ve listened to it several times over and each time there’s a distinct that BASS tho moment.

3 minutes ago, ExtraFox said:

@Dave Grohl - any insider information on European distribution? Nothing on BSM or Hobbledehoy.

If there's a tour variant, is there anyone who can get me one?

No EU distro at the moment. May come in the future. I can grab a tour copy. 

Also, Saturday’s show is going to be recorded (audio) and most likely released at some point. 

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Always down for pressing details if you’re at liberty to disclose them.  Especially these mystery 3.  I’m guessing one must be a tour variant?

I wish I was hitting those Southern California shows.  The band has graced me with a night at a new venue way up north-state, which saves me a whole lot of driving.  Small, cozy venue – it’s been years since I’ve seen them and I can’t wait to catch them once more in an intimate space.

I could be mistaken but I think I recall the band saying that D&D was very much a “dark” record for them.  A lot of reflection, and perhaps even a bit of mourning over the loss of Chris.  I love the atmosphere on that record and still find it to be such a desolate, beautiful, crushing album.  It would make sense that they’re onto a new chapter, and in a place where they can afford to write “brighter” tunes to mix things up.  Can’t wait to hear the rest of what they’ve got in store.

So now you know about the 3 that are up. And there are 3 others that aren’t released yet. One of which will be a tour copy. 

Awesome. Glad you’re able to make it. I know your drives can be pretty lengthy. I’m flying out to see an old friend and hit up two Caspian dates while I’m at it. Was a really good excuse to go. Plus I haven’t been to CA in 20 years since I moved. They announced DC and Richmond so I’ll be hitting those as well. The Richmond venue is very, very small so that’ll be good. 

And yes, you’re absolutely right about that. That’s exactly what that record was about. This new album is going to be more bright, warmer, a new side of them, but still Caspian at the core. And it’ll definitely have it’s heavy moments as well. I can’t get over that guitar part at 4.08. Wow. 

Im ready to watch Cal crush that mandolin part on Saturday. Haha. As stated above, the audio of that show will be recorded and most likely released on some format. Not sure if digital or analog or both yet. 

Also, not sure if anyone noticed, but this isn’t is Caspian’s first 45RPM release. (As in the first master was 45RPM.) So that’s pretty cool. That plus Yip should make for a very, very good experience. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Interesting that the black 180g is the limited variant!  Picked that up and the splatter.  Trying hard to wait until after school to listen.  Saturday is gonna rule.  Really curious what old tunes are getting dusted off for this. 

black looks sold out.

darn

39 minutes ago, drds89 said:

I love when this happens - more and more every year 

I have definitely been hopping on the black 180g bandwagon hard lately.  Maybe I'm just tired of splatters and such; I definitely used to be WOW for them when I started, but now i just want the music to sound good even more than I care about a cool variant. 

34 minutes ago, dapeebs said:

Wow they’re coming to Woodstock. Haven’t seen them live since Minus the Bear’s farewell tour. Gonna have to catch that date.

See you there :) 

22 minutes ago, JRHews said:

One of us, one of us, one of us. Our young padawan.

Haha.  Yeah.  Honestly though I think its the 180g thing, because the A Thousand Arms and Dunk! pressings are now all 180g and they use colors and they all sound fantastic.  But the 180g with black combo...  it's the best you can get.  Sure, there are always good pressings with splatter and whatnot (ie: every Jesu and Isis splatter I own) but outside of someone with absolutely batshit crazy quality standards (ie: Aaron Turner) it seems safe to say that the odds are always in favor of the 180g black sounding better than a non-180g colored variant.  But who the hell knows haha.  Could be totally psychological.