PO Now: Caspian - On Circles (1/24/2020)

zaoza

9 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Pretty sure label is dead.  Caspian/Phil even made some announcement way back about ending things with them, serving them with legal papers, etc etc. 

My guess is that one of the owners died and the other one spun into madness.  Their IG posts are so weird and cryptic.  It's very sad. 

MS is virtually dead, though neither of the owners is. This guess is not so far from the truth, but I cannot imagine the other partner being able to salvage the label. It is not my place to divulge things, and I don't know everything, but if you have an outstanding order with them, you should probably just cut your losses and be happy with all we got from them. I know the end of the label eats away at their soul, but I would not expect compensation or order fulfillment. A terrible situation but unfortunately that info is all I can offer.

Holy fuck. I have no words. That was an amazing experience and I feel super lucky to had been front row for it. I got a print and Erin gave me his set list. The new song was insane. And god damn is Castle High amazing live. Probably my favorite closer. 

4 more shows to go, but none will top that, ever. 

3 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

And god damn is Castle High amazing live. Probably my favorite closer. 

Sycamore would like a word with you.

But really, CH has had such a climactic vibe to it from day one.  I don't know if it could top the synergy of Sycamore's drum unison – truly the punctuation mark to their setlist that never gets old, for me – but I'd love to see it live this tour.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Sycamore would like a word with you.

But really, CH has had such a climactic vibe to it from day one.  I don't know if it could top the synergy of Sycamore's drum unison – truly the punctuation mark to their setlist that never gets old, for me – but I'd love to see it live this tour.

Yah. It’s strange. Sycamore has made me feel more things than I can explain, but there’s just something about Castle being a closer. They’ve been closing with it the last couple years on tour and it just fits so well. It’s a great summation of everything that you just heard. Sycamore is more epic, in that sort of way, but Castle, it just works. They’re both 11/10s in their own right. 

You’ll get what I’m saying when you see it. Trust me. 

Set list:

Nagoya

Ishmael 

The Dove - “Four White Birds”

Hymn - “...Weeks Come War”

ASA - “Angel Side Angle”

Arternum Vale

Dust & Disquiet - “All Worry”

Division Blues

Intermission

Wildblood

Flowers of Light 
High Lonesome - “...The Low Retire”

Hickory 54 - “For Norman Dale”

Rioseco - “Dry River “

Gone In Bloom & Bough - “...Flush and Branch”

Arcs of Command

Encore

Castles High, Marble Bright 

Edited by Dave Grohl

13 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Yah. It’s strange. Sycamore has made me feel more things than I can explain, but there’s just something about Castle being a closer. They’ve been closing with it the last couple years on tour and it just fits so well. It’s a great summation of everything that you just heard. Sycamore is more epic, in that sort of way, but Castle, it just works. They’re both 11/10s in their own right. 

You’ll get what I’m saying when you see it. Trust me. 

That sounds nice.  Hard to believe they've retired Sycamore as a closer for so long.  It's been ages since I've seen them... guess I should be counting my blessings that I got to witness it on multiple occasions.

What's Nagoya?

14 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That sounds nice.  Hard to believe they've retired Sycamore as a closer for so long.  It's been ages since I've seen them... guess I should be counting my blessings that I got to witness it on multiple occasions.

What's Nagoya?

A new song, that I believe didn’t make the album. 

33 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Damn.  They're relentless.  Between everything on the album, Barfly, and now Nagoya... it sounds like there's no shortage of new material from their last writing session.

I’m really curious how much material they ended up recording, and how much outside the album is going be released. 

The shows tonight were filmed. So hopefully they get enough footage to release it. 

Yeah that show was fun.  Glad I made the drive.  Audiotree snagged video and audio, but Triple Crown bought the content so they're releasing it at some point.  The dudes didn't know what would end up happening with it, so we'll see.

Kinda surprised we didn't get Sycamore, but the bustouts were fucking sick.  D&D live was maybe my highlight, although Rioseco and ASA crushed hard.  New songs are fantastic. 

I definitely could have done another full set last night.  That time went by so fast. 

I was there too!  I do have to admit - Caspian themselves destroyed the building, naturally, but I honestly didn’t think the orchestra added to the performance.  At least the brass section seemed a bit out of place.  I much prefer just Caspian.  Although the sax guy KILLED it during the 2nd half of Bloom & Bough, & Rioseco was easily the best with the orchestra imo.

But, the new songs were all AMAZING.  I love Flowers, but legit liked every other new song even better.

Nothing from Tertia was a huge bummer.  And I was praying for Fire Made Flesh.  But getting Castles & Hickory 54 were nice surprises.

Overall, definitely worth the trip.  But it definitely wasn’t my all time fav Caspian show.

1 hour ago, Dave Grohl said:

I may or may not have footage of Division Blues...

That was probably the best song from that night and would love to see it again. If you decide to share it let me know. I started to record Flowers Of The Light but felt guilty for some reason and stopped, I did film Rioseco though. Finally seeing ASA was a plus too.

Im glad they ended with Castles and that’s how it’s been the last two times I’ve seen them. It’s definitely the staple for a while to come.  I’m glad they’ve given Sycamore a rest as well. I thought the sax player absolutely killed it on Bloom and can’t wait to hear that again. 

I really enjoyed the new stuff and it was amazing to see Erin bringing his classical experience to the show. I feel redeemed since I didn’t do the Larcolm show last minute. I also bought tickets and skipped post fest for this and I’m extremely glad I did. 

I’ve ordered all 5 copies and have a feeling I’m going to be spending some money the weeks to come. 

Edited by jtoth000

20 hours ago, mrewest said:

I was there too!  I do have to admit - Caspian themselves destroyed the building, naturally, but I honestly didn’t think the orchestra added to the performance.  At least the brass section seemed a bit out of place.  I much prefer just Caspian.  Although the sax guy KILLED it during the 2nd half of Bloom & Bough, & Rioseco was easily the best with the orchestra imo.

But, the new songs were all AMAZING.  I love Flowers, but legit liked every other new song even better.

Nothing from Tertia was a huge bummer.  And I was praying for Fire Made Flesh.  But getting Castles & Hickory 54 were nice surprises.

Overall, definitely worth the trip.  But it definitely wasn’t my all time fav Caspian show.

Yeah no Tertia material is a letdown, especially given the context.  I was kind of with you on the orchestra for some tunes; maybe my thoughts would be different if i was downstairs with different sonics.  However, i found it interesting that I *DID* miss the thickness of the orchestra during Castles.  It felt a little empty after the thickness we'd been hearing. 

Not sure how I'd rate it.  It's probably un-rateable.  I think my first show is my favorite because I got Sycamore and Raven, and haven't seen either since. 

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah no Tertia material is a letdown, especially given the context.  I was kind of with you on the orchestra for some tunes; maybe my thoughts would be different if i was downstairs with different sonics.  However, i found it interesting that I *DID* miss the thickness of the orchestra during Castles.  It felt a little empty after the thickness we'd been hearing. 

Not sure how I'd rate it.  It's probably un-rateable.  I think my first show is my favorite because I got Sycamore and Raven, and haven't seen either since. 

I also wonder if sitting under the balcony hurt the acoustics for me a bit.  I dunno.

But yeah my fav show had Sycamore, Ghosts, Asa, Heart that Fed, Raven, and early Arcs.  Don’t think I’ll ever top that one.