PO Now: Caspian - On Circles (1/24/2020)

zaoza

9 hours ago, mrewest said:

I also wonder if sitting under the balcony hurt the acoustics for me a bit.  I dunno.

But yeah my fav show had Sycamore, Ghosts, Asa, Heart that Fed, Raven, and early Arcs.  Don’t think I’ll ever top that one.

Heart That Fed is rarely played live, that’s awesome you caught it. I’d love them to play that one more, so underrated. Asa, Arcs and Raven all in one set is pretty amazing. What was the date of that show?

14 hours ago, mrewest said:

But yeah my fav show had Sycamore, Ghosts, Asa, Heart that Fed, Raven, and early Arcs.  Don’t think I’ll ever top that one.

Jesus fuck.  When/where was that?  I thought I saw the only Heart that Fed because it's only got one entry on Setlist.FM which was my first show. 

ADhkR3C.jpg

qFu9Cuu.jpg

bPb14DJ.jpg

Man, Imgur really compressed the fuck out of these... cause they're shot on an iPhone Pro Max. 

I also have pictures of all but Jani's board if anyone is interested. 

I already have a break down of them all as well. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

13 hours ago, jtoth000 said:

Heart That Fed is rarely played live, that’s awesome you caught it. I’d love them to play that one more, so underrated. Asa, Arcs and Raven all in one set is pretty amazing. What was the date of that show?

July 13, 2014

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/caspian/2014/the-smiling-moose-pittsburgh-pa-3c1618f.html

Yeah I think Heart that Fed was only played for a short stretch around that time so I definitely consider myself lucky to have gotten it.

I think my favorite set was Seattle in 2015. @The Butcha was there with me.

I feel like Portland the night before or so was good, but I don't remember the exact set. 

Trying to remember all the shows I've been to, but it's tough. I know I'm missing some, but they all blend over the years. Especially after seeing them in 8 or more states. Haha.

Seattle

Darkfield

Echo and Abyss

Of Foam and Wave

Rioseco

The Dove

ASA

Halls of the Summer

Gone In Bloom and Bough

Arcs of Command

Loft

Fire Made Flesh

Sycamore

My dream set is improbable, so I tend not to think "I wish they played 'this' or 'that'" any time I see them, and just enjoy what they play cause it's always good. 

11 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

The records were pressed via Pirate Press LA. 

Why are Triple Crown still using record brokers? This actually means it's pressed at GZ in the Czech Republic so the black copies are fucking worthless if you bought one to sound better than a colored variant. Nice.

The black variant is now off the Townsend Music page. It has been replaced with the Clear w/ Green Splatter.

From the looks of it, and some insight, I believe all of these are getting pressed via PP, will all have the same bar code and label (TC), while White gets sent off to EU/UK for distro through various shops / online retailers, the rest will be sent off to TC, Newbury Comics, and brick and mortar stores. The White might have a different bar code and label on the back, but I'm inclined to think not since the few places I've seen the White variant pop up are just shops, and not a label like BSM or Hobbledehoy. But only time will tell. 

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Where’s that indie exclusive link at?  I get that Newbury variants are released on a weird schedule, but word on the street was that we’d have that coke bottle announced this week.  I’m ready.

I tweeted at them today. Haven’t heard anything yet. 

9 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Jesus christ.

Triple Crown Webstore Exclusive:

BLACK

SPLIT

Triple Crown Worldwide Retail:

CLEAR W/ GREEN SPLATTER

Triple Crown Europe Exclusive:

WHITE

Triple Crown US Indie Exclusive:

COKE BOTTLE

Newbury Comics Exclusive (PRESSED BY TRIPLE CROWN):

PINK

Give me numbers or give me death. New VC motto.

1 hour ago, Sasan said:

I just gave it a listen...it’s horrible. 

What's your issue with it?  I'll admit it sounds like a major key, happy version of Arcs.  Starts with a loop, and kind of just is a one-way trajectory upwards with layers and layers, etc.  A lot of the newer songs felt this way to me too, being more a uniform ascent upwards in build fashion rather than deviating through different riffs and sections.  I like it more and more with each listen.  It was really good live, too. 

I actually never got around to listening to Barfly so I'm running that right now.  Very interesting, with the prominent synth melody.  I like it, and how it breaks into that mellotron riff halfway through before getting heavy.  This is good.  Definitely a new overall identity for Caspian.

It makes me think of Deafheaven - gone are the tortured, exorcising songs where they were working through stuff and now that they're in good places in adulthood, the songs are taking on more happy, upbeat tones while still retaining the signature musical elements that were present from the beginning.  I'm okay with it.  Barfly gets fucking heavy though!  Nice!