PO Now: Caspian - On Circles (1/24/2020)

zaoza

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

I don't think anyone said they're terrible, but I have like 5 double LP releases in the same type of sleeve that were priced normally and not $65. This new pressing is also a downgrade at 33rpm instead of 45 like the original so there's not a high chance it'll sound better either. The Bon Iver anniversary release had this same type of embossing (but far more detailed) for half the price too. Shit this is the same price the nicest white on white embossed package ever designed (mwY untitled and imo of course :p) originally cost and that was a triple LP in a box plus a crazy detailed hardcover book. 

Whoever owns Triple Crown now looked at hip-hop vinyl to price this and poor Caspian are gonna take another L because of it. Sold like 30 copies today vs a few hundred yesterday and probably less tomorrow.

The one ‘positive’ is that it’s Triple Crown’s loss and not the band’s. But they do have to deal the perception of people think this was their choice. Also those PVC can give off gases that will warp / discolor the gatefold over time. So I’d store it separately on any of your releases just to be safe. Do you have the Castles 7”? Cause that PVC sleeve is warped as shit for me. I specifically bought two in case it happened, which it did. I still don’t see how the packaging costed so much. It really isn’t anything special. 

Got mine in today. This is just insultingly bad. So first off the PVC sleeve has a strip of glue on it, so once you peel the tab up that’s pretty much it. You couldn’t even close it again if you wanted. The packaging was just a mailer so the PVC sleeve is creased and folded anyway; good thing it’s being discarded - but I paid for it. Secondly this packaging is basically two sleeves. That’s it. There’s no gatefold. The embossed white cover that makes you think it’s a gatefold via the picture is just an embossed sleeve. It’s not even wide enough for it to count as housing for two records because that’s not what it is. The other sleeve is just a standard sleeve made out of the same card stock / paper. The discs are definitely under 180g. I don’t have a scale, but I can tell. Lastly the wording on the site made it seems the entire release was mastered, but the wording on the PVC clarifies just the unreleased songs were “mastered for vinyl”. 

Even better is that is the most marred record I’ve ever received. It’s full of scuffs and scratches. Those paper sleeves really did a great job…

How Tc could charge anything over $25 for this is beyond me. And that’s putting aside how I’m going to need replacement discs. Wow. If I didn’t need this to keep up my collection I’d do a return / charge back. 

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

Edited by Sad Heart

On 6/23/2023 at 2:14 AM, Shelby said:

Whoever owns Triple Crown now looked at hip-hop vinyl to price this and poor Caspian are gonna take another L because of it. Sold like 30 copies today vs a few hundred yesterday and probably less tomorrow.

How did you figure this out? 

Also damn, I am SUPER glad i didn't buy this.  sucks that Caspian is now on the "skip" list.  what a sad day that is. 

@Sad HeartI'm reading that PVC sleeve as meaning everything to be mastered for vinyl, but who knows. 

I think this could actually be one of the most offensive vinyl releases ever. Making it vinyl only to sell out faster is also devious and something I've seen the band themselves pushing ("this is the way music is intended to first be listened to" lmfao) so they aren't completely off the hook. That's a crock of shit.

TC have a HELL of a lot of audacity to sell that for $65.

Having the paper "jackets" also be the vinyl sleeves themselves essentially means the release did not come with a proper jacket at all. Just two cardstock 'inners' with embossing, in a PVC sleeve. (Though feel free to correct me on this, as I don't own this release. Just going by what I've seen in pictures.) They could have at least put them in a double-wide single-pocket proper jacket, right? Did they really not do that?

I don't personally understand how embossing unprinted heavy cardstock and making a single-color print on a PVC sleeve would even remotely end up with a per-unit price of $65. Something must have went terribly wrong in the production process because I've seen releases much more lavish than this (lol) go for the same price.

Edited by deer

1 hour ago, deer said:

TC have a HELL of a lot of audacity to sell that for $65.

Having the paper "jackets" also be the vinyl sleeves themselves essentially means the release did not come with a proper jacket at all. Just two cardstock 'inners' with embossing, in a PVC sleeve. (Though feel free to correct me on this, as I don't own this release. Just going by what I've seen in pictures.) They could have at least put them in a double-wide single-pocket proper jacket, right? Did they really not do that?

I don't personally understand how embossing unprinted heavy cardstock and making a single-color print on a PVC sleeve would even remotely end up with a per-unit price of $65. Something must have went terribly wrong in the production process because I've seen releases much more lavish than this (lol) go for the same price.

My thoughts exactly. I mean hell, Jonny and I were talking about how Tertia releases had damn gold foil on it, among other ‘cool’ packaging extras. The new owners of TC are out of their mind. I’m curious if the packaging designer shopped for the printer or if TC did it, and didn’t shop around or just approved it at a ridiculous price. I’d say ‘oh they probably are just being greedy assholes and marked it up a lot’, but I know that the packaging is expensive so they’re just incompetent and got taken for a ride. I’m curious if they found a new printer and they got a new customer price and were dumb enough to approve it. I believe the band are gonna make a response to this, per my last convo with them, cause this release is too bad for them to not address it. Triple Crown is sending me replacement discs, but sending it in the same sleeves I think. I asked for just regular sleeves and no ‘deluxe’ packaging, but said they can’t do special requests cause of ‘volume’. Thanks, SCP, for the standard macro responses in emails (classic Zendesk bullshit answers). 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, SpazzyMcGee said:

Been going through Caspian's disco. recently and ended up realizing there was a deluxe edition and was toying around with getting the new version but glad that I looked at the forum. Big yikes.

Enjoyed spinning Waking Season today, all timer right there

If it helps, I did get a replacement that was clean. Phil also has a bunch of copies that are clean too. So it hopefully was just a few bad ones in the batch or screwed up in shipping. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 3:44 PM, SpazzyMcGee said:

Been going through Caspian's disco. recently and ended up realizing there was a deluxe edition and was toying around with getting the new version but glad that I looked at the forum. Big yikes.

Enjoyed spinning Waking Season today, all timer right there

Waking Season is so good.  One of the reasons i got into this genre. 

• 4 months later...