PO Now: Caspian - On Circles (1/24/2020)

zaoza

• 2 years later...

3 minutes ago, fizio59 said:

That packaging must be something never seen before for $65.. do you know if any European store will have it?

Not sure about the EU store. I do know that they’re making almost no profit on these and didn’t find out the cost of the packaging until after the process was done. So that’s why these are a little high, but could be higher. I think these are exclusive to their site, but I’ll ask Johnny just in case. 

I think the biggest draw is the 3 exclusive songs, to be totally honest.  Rearranging everything around them feels more like a "let's get this to fit neatly on 2 LPs" decision, more than an artistic one, but that's just speculation on my end.  I just know I'm not the biggest fan of completely rearranging an album I've been consistently listening to in its original sequence.  But I guess it's better than just re-releasing it and having 3 songs tacked on the very end or something.

I gotta' agree with Shelby, I think – with that price-tag, a little teaser video would go a long way.  It's possible that this could blow your dick off once you've got it in hand (the packaging, not your dick) – but based on the photos above, it reminds me of something you'd see from someone who works at a print factory and won a test press of this album.  Kinda' neat, but also super bare-bone.  If they're going for a hyper minimal thing, they could have at least taken a page from mwY and made the vinyl clear or white or something, I dunno.  It sounds like that would have driven the price up even further but once you're in $60+, you may as well go big or go home I suppose.

7 minutes ago, mrewest said:

I love this band dearly but they’ve lost their mind with pricing things lately.  $65 for 3 extra songs.  And then previously that ridiculous cancelled Fest they tried throwing.

I forgot all about that. Such a bummer but expected. I feel like this is one of those bands that looks like they have more fans than they actually do, by a lo

2 hours ago, mrewest said:

I love this band dearly but they’ve lost their mind with pricing things lately.  $65 for 3 extra songs.  And then previously that ridiculous cancelled Fest they tried throwing.

The band didn’t know the pricing for this thing until it was already made. The pricing is due to the packaging. If they knew it was going to be this much they wouldn’t have done it. Also, the fest was its own challenge. Feel free to PM me, as it was pretty much Johnny and I trying to make the entire thing work. I’ve explained it before, buts it’s much more costly than you think, especially when it’s not for thousands like a festival. 

This is more of a TC issue than a band issue. Another reason that Caspian will be leaving TC in due time and managing themselves. 

2 hours ago, fizio59 said:

Detailed pics of the release here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtwskxrRGj6/?igshid=MTk0MGU0NTkxNA==

it looks nice but definitely not what one expects for $65..

despite I always loved their music and this album, I’m going to pass on this one. 

Once they found out it was gonna cost that much they tried to figure out how to make it more fair, cause they weren’t picturing a $65 price point. But there is more stuff in the pipeline that they are happy about, and you’ll be. Can’t say much but they got the rights to the Cabot show so that’s coming soon(ish). 

Oh god I didn’t even see the PVC sleeve either. Man, this is so underwhelming. I’m gonna have to store this in a separate poly bag. This release is a great example of what not to do. Sucks cause I was pretty much relaying what Johnny was told by Triple Crown. I was expecting much more than this by what he / they told us. Sigh. 

What's so terrible about the PVC sleeve? Of course a transparent plastic O-card would look nicer, and I've had some PVC sleeves split on me... just curious.

I like the standard layout a lot, but my records sound pretty bad, so I would definitely be interested in this edition. I understand that all that embossing and premium paper entails a fair amount of extra effort and cost, but I'm not sure if I'm enough of a minimalist to actually get excited about it. This is the kind of thing I might buy at a show, but there's just no way I can justify shipping it to Europe and also paying import taxes.

16 minutes ago, bjorn said:

What's so terrible about the PVC sleeve? Of course a transparent plastic O-card would look nicer, and I've had some PVC sleeves split on me... just curious.

I like the standard layout a lot, but my records sound pretty bad, so I would definitely be interested in this edition. I understand that all that embossing and premium paper entails a fair amount of extra effort and cost, but I'm not sure if I'm enough of a minimalist to actually get excited about it. This is the kind of thing I might buy at a show, but there's just no way I can justify shipping it to Europe and also paying import taxes.

I don't think anyone said they're terrible, but I have like 5 double LP releases in the same type of sleeve that were priced normally and not $65. This new pressing is also a downgrade at 33rpm instead of 45 like the original so there's not a high chance it'll sound better either. The Bon Iver anniversary release had this same type of embossing (but far more detailed) for half the price too. Shit this is the same price the nicest white on white embossed package ever designed (mwY untitled and imo of course :p) originally cost and that was a triple LP in a box plus a crazy detailed hardcover book. 

Whoever owns Triple Crown now looked at hip-hop vinyl to price this and poor Caspian are gonna take another L because of it. Sold like 30 copies today vs a few hundred yesterday and probably less tomorrow.