PO: Nada Surf - Never Not Together

Don't know how popular this band is around these parts, but they are one of my favorites. This news flew under the radar for me when it broke yesterday.  New album Never Not Together out February 7, 2020.

Standard black anywhere or gray from http://store.landlockedmusic.com/product/nada 

6 minutes ago, backpackoat said:

Don't know how popular this band is around these parts, but they are one of my favorites. This news flew under the radar for me when it broke yesterday.  New album Never Not Together out February 7, 2020.

Standard black anywhere or gray from http://store.landlockedmusic.com/product/nada 

I see what you did there.

16 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

I love Nada Surf with all my heart but I did not love YKWYA. Hopefully this one sticks with me. The orchestra album was amazing tho.

I feel the exact same. Didn't care for that album much at all. Interesting single, though, and I have hope this will be a great record

In hindsight, Lucky and Astronomy were dips for me. I thought YKNWYA was a more textured version of Astronomy and I liked it more. 

This single is the most ‘experimental’ and shabby thing they’ve done since some of the demos and b-sides for Weight is a Gift. The talking part is the most awkwardly sincere thing they’ve done since Proximity Effect too (on top of being a fun nod to Popular), IMO. I’m excited by the idea of a shabbier, less tight Nada Surf after two albums of really really tight guitar ditties.

15 minutes ago, backpackoat said:

Duuuuuuude... my two favorites!

I like both! But if I had to choose my least favorites of the post-Let Go era, I'd choose those before You Know Who You Are (which I think was a needed return to a more dynamic and textured place after the straight-forward, workman-like Astronomy).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

so far none of these are blowing me away, but the beauty i have found with nada surf is that eventually everything they do hits with me. matthew caws has an amazing ability to write earwigs that burrow in my head, only to reveal themselves sometimes after repeated listens. love this band so much, and so glad they are still making music 30 years or so later.