Moving with your record collection---How did ya?

6 hours ago, Kanye West said:

hard to believe that grown men living their pop punk fantasies on the internet need to try to bring other people down for no other reason than short-sighted malice in 2019

What exactly is a pop punk fantasy on the internet?

You're just typing random buzzwords lol.

Like others have said here. Buy boxes, I got mine at the local hardware store for less than a buck each. 

They fit a little less than one "Ikea Kallax Shelf' cube per box. Handles all ended up ripping, dont even bother if its a full box.

Also, I laid a 'U' of bubble wrap in the bottom, in case they were jostled, dropped, or set down to hard to avoid instantly dinging up like 12 corners.
Probably was unnecessary but gave me some piece of mind. 

Oh and each box ends up being heavy A.F. make sure you use proper lifting  technique when picking them up so you dont Shrek your back. 😂

Lordy

Thanks y'all UShip + Packaged boxes, got it

I realized I worded the OP in more of a logistic way rather than like a "was it worth it, how did you decide what to keep way" which I'm more curious about--tho UShip looks handy as fuck and will definitely be taking advantage of it

Sorry if I apparently missed a thread like this already, I searched but not well enough 

As others have said, the U-Haul small boxes are great. If you're storing your records on an IKEA Kallax, you need probably one fewer box than you have shelf cubes because the boxes are a few inches wider. They're the perfect size and you can fit a little bubble wrap in there too, if you want.

8 minutes ago, ryanthellama said:

As others have said, the U-Haul small boxes are great. If you're storing your records on an IKEA Kallax, you need probably one fewer box than you have shelf cubes because the boxes are a few inches wider. They're the perfect size and you can fit a little bubble wrap in there too, if you want.

Small boxes are way to go but unless the Kallax and Expedit dimensions are way different, the small boxes fit inside the Expedit cubes, so.... I packed about 3/4 of a cube into each box and padded the empty space with crumpled newspaper/bubblewrap - then slid the packed boxes into the cubes until moving day.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:56 AM, Shitty Rambo said:

Put it all in your mom's attic and pick it up when you stop bouncing around logistically. 

Tbh that was originally the plan but I'm pretty sure she's going to sell the house and move back to Belize because America is a nightmare 

I'm just going to bury them in a time capsule on someone else's property 

3 hours ago, andynz said:

At some point in the next few years, I’m going to have to transport my collection from New Zealand to the states. I haven’t wrapped my head around how I’m going to safely do that without ending up with a whole lot or warped or damaged records. 

Have you considered teleportation?

On 12/9/2019 at 9:12 AM, rooks said:

Small boxes are way to go but unless the Kallax and Expedit dimensions are way different, the small boxes fit inside the Expedit cubes, so.... I packed about 3/4 of a cube into each box and padded the empty space with crumpled newspaper/bubblewrap - then slid the packed boxes into the cubes until moving day.

They fit inside the Kallax cubes too but stick out a little, so you get an extra few inches of packing length out of the boxes. They're about 16" long.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Derek™ said:

They can also be slid into any IKEA shelf with just a bit of overhang, in case unpacking them is not a priority and you don’t want a ton of record boxes cluttering up your floor space in the meantime.

Considering that I am moving this weekend, this is News I Can Use! I hadn't even considered this but since a Kallax/Expedit cube is 13" and the U-Haul box is 12.625" it's perfect.

3 minutes ago, tape said:

Considering that I am moving this weekend, this is News I Can Use! I hadn't even considered this but since a Kallax/Expedit cube is 13" and the U-Haul box is 12.625" it's perfect.

It really is.  As several others have mentioned, the U-Haul boxes are actually a tad longer so you can stash a bit more in them, but there’ll be some overhang if you slide them into the shelf.  For this reason I didn’t stuff them to the brim.

I forgot to mention it in my first post, but I also wanted to echo what a few folks were saying about fortifying the boxes.  In addition to taping the bottoms thoroughly - which I can’t recommend enough - I also threw a 12” x 12” cardboard insert or two at the bottom of each box, and then some bubble wrap along the bottom and sides.  I plan on transporting them carefully so that’s probably (entirely) overkill, but I had the time and resources to do it, so... why not?  Hopefully your collection isn’t too massive — the process felt pretty monotonous towards the end, for me.

Good luck with the move.

22 minutes ago, tape said:

Thanks! I'm only moving about a mile so it shouldn't be too bad. Aside from the 300 trips back and forth in my Honda Fit. And all the lifting and carrying and reassembling.

On the cusp of a very similar struggle over here, too.  Dreading it a bit but also excited to finally set up my second Kallax.

On a related note, but sort of off-topic: does anyone have experience with a large collection [1,500+] in an apartment or townhouse that’s not on ground level?  Filling out some forms that ask about weight capacity and ownership of pianos / organs.  Got me thinking about significantly sized collections; multiple, fully loaded 4x4 Kallax shelves, etc.  Anything worth noting or to be otherwise concerned with?

39 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

On the cusp of a very similar struggle over here, too.  Dreading it a bit but also excited to finally set up my second Kallax.

On a related note, but sort of off-topic: does anyone have experience with a large collection [1,500+] in an apartment or townhouse that’s not on ground level?  Filling out some forms that ask about weight capacity and ownership of pianos / organs.  Got me thinking about significantly sized collections; multiple, fully loaded 4x4 Kallax shelves, etc.  Anything worth noting or to be otherwise concerned with?

I live in a third floor apartment and have a full 5x5 Kallax and a 4x2 that’s partially full. Probably around 1200 lps total. Never had any issues with weight, granted it’s a newer building though.