Moving with your record collection---How did ya?

56 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

On the cusp of a very similar struggle over here, too.  Dreading it a bit but also excited to finally set up my second Kallax.

On a related note, but sort of off-topic: does anyone have experience with a large collection [1,500+] in an apartment or townhouse that’s not on ground level?  Filling out some forms that ask about weight capacity and ownership of pianos / organs.  Got me thinking about significantly sized collections; multiple, fully loaded 4x4 Kallax shelves, etc.  Anything worth noting or to be otherwise concerned with?

I have what is effectively an 8x4 Kallax to make use of my high ceilings. I remember reading something somewhere (Hoffman?) about floor construction and how you could basically never get too heavy with records in a properly constructed building. 

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

8x4 is what I’m looking at and I can’t wait to finally stop sweating shelf space and “getting creative” with storage.  I figured it’s nothing to overthink but still wanted to pick any willing brains that are reading this thread.  Appreciate both of your guys’ input.

If you’re going 8x4 vertical like me, I would highly suggest gluing everything together on each unit, and also getting a sheet of MDF cut to size and nailed in on the back of each unit. The added strength and rigidity is key to keeping the bottom level from collapsing, from what I’ve read. Wall anchors are also worth considering for the top level, especially if you can get them into studs. 

1 minute ago, fondfarewell said:

If you’re going 8x4 vertical like me, I would highly suggest gluing everything together on each unit, and also getting a sheet of MDF cut to size and nailed in on the back of each unit. The added strength and rigidity is key to keeping the bottom level from collapsing, from what I’ve read. Wall anchors are also worth considering for the top level, especially if you can get them into studs. 

I think you’ve actually got a 4x8 setup, unless I’m just being super dense right now.  Which would make way more sense with your comment about vaulted ceilings.  But yeah, I tend to add wall anchors regardless... even on the 4x4.  For good measure if nothing else, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

U-Haul sells boxes that are perfect for records. Each box holds a out 100 records or so. They are heavy duty and under $1 each.

They also buy back any boxes you don't use.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Standard-Sized-Moving-Boxes/Small-Moving-Box/?id=3245

Edited by vinyl addict

44 minutes ago, tonyfranciosa said:

if at all possible, I can't recommend enough paying someone else to do the moving for you. we sold our house in 2016 and I had to move 65 uhaul boxes of records (~2500) and my record room is on the 3rd floor of the new house. worth every penny to hire the movers.

I moved into a 3rd floor walk up a few months ago and had 25-30 boxes of LPs (not the uhaul ones, but similar size).  Movers were absolutely worth the money.  Everything was done significantly faster and probably better than if I'd used some friends.

Edited by jonrawks

One school boy error I made was using those large plastic tubs. They get heavy real quick, buckle and bend under the weight and eventually the bottom breaks and handles snap. I was lucky to get mine in the house as one of mine broke.

Besides cardboard being a bit more sturdy (and smaller, so you don't overload them and easier for removals), they have the power bonus of becoming mulch once all the tape was removed!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Don't know why this thread was resurrected, but I suppose I can chime in on this now. Don't overthink it. I went to a storage place near me and bought like 20 of their small boxes, which I'd have to measure, but were basically perfect vinyl dimensions in one direction. I padded both sides with a sheet or two of bubble wrap for giggles. I moved all 800+ of my records like that last month and no damage as far as I know. They're in my office now and I've listened to them more than I ever have, so I probably would have noticed a broken disc or something by now.

On 2/26/2022 at 9:43 PM, Multiverse said:

I've reused the same small U-Haul boxes for two moves, both were totally fine. I absolutely hate moving them but nothing was damaged. 

I have reused the U-Haul boxes a couple times too and am surprised that they held up so well. I’m finally settled into a house and really hope I never have to move my records again. It was 115° where I live the two days I spent moving last June and transporting those things in that billion degree U-Haul truck was so fucking sketchy. 

1 hour ago, Bronchitis said:

I have reused the U-Haul boxes a couple times too and am surprised that they held up so well. I’m finally settled into a house and really hope I never have to move my records again. It was 115° where I live the two days I spent moving last June and transporting those things in that billion degree U-Haul truck was so fucking sketchy. 

I dread the day I'll have to move everything at once because it's a far move. I usually do a few boxes at a time in my air conditioned car and take a few days since Florida will definitely ruin them.