Moving with your record collection---How did ya?

2 hours ago, Daswami said:

I've moved a few times in Vegas summer heat (because I'm an idiot and always ended my leases in like August) and used these boxes with no issues:

BOXES

Not cheap but super sturdy and have nice handholds/lids on them so it's easy to pack, move, and unpack them.

I used this style of box to move 1000+ records from coast to coast with zero issues. Saved a bunch of them and used them again to move out of my last place years later.

2 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I used this style of box to move 1000+ records from coast to coast with zero issues. Saved a bunch of them and used them again to move out of my last place years later.

What did you do to actually move them though? Moving company, uship, drive yourself, etc?

1 hour ago, DecayToDeath said:

What did you do to actually move them though? Moving company, uship, drive yourself, etc?

I don’t think there’s one answer to this. It’s going to depend on the distance you’re moving, the size of the collection, how much other stuff you have to move, if you’ve got help, if you’ve got time, etc…

51 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

I don’t think there’s one answer to this. It’s going to depend on the distance you’re moving, the size of the collection, how much other stuff you have to move, if you’ve got help, if you’ve got time, etc…

approximately 20 uhaul boxes' worth (~1200-1300) plus another much larger box with my turntable, amp, and speakers / i'll be moving a half hour to another part of SoCal with the remaining 300ish in my collection so that'll be easy, but all the other records are coming from storage in Pittsburgh where I used to live / I've got help / I'm quitting my job with a full month to coordinate this stuff

• 4 weeks later...

my concern would be less about direct damage and more about the elements. Like if they promise delivery in a week or whatever then what climates are visited and how long are thy sitting out. Plus if they are combining shipments theres always the possibility a box gets mixed up or has to go through several instances of loading and unloading. It may be the best option however, assuming you arent going up there and driving them back yourself. Im sure they offer a choice of timelines, would be interesting to see the brealdown.

When I moved in town about 10 years ago the collection was about 1K and I used the boxes in this thread and moved them all myself while movers did the other stuff. That was more my OCD sensibility than anything.

12 hours ago, shamrocks said:

my concern would be less about direct damage and more about the elements. Like if they promise delivery in a week or whatever then what climates are visited and how long are thy sitting out. Plus if they are combining shipments theres always the possibility a box gets mixed up or has to go through several instances of loading and unloading. It may be the best option however, assuming you arent going up there and driving them back yourself. Im sure they offer a choice of timelines, would be interesting to see the brealdown.

When I moved in town about 10 years ago the collection was about 1K and I used the boxes in this thread and moved them all myself while movers did the other stuff. That was more my OCD sensibility than anything.

I've unfortunately got a chronic pain condition that worsened in the last few months and can't drive long distances anymore, which is really a wrench in my plan because I have made this cross-country drive many times in the past and always assumed that's how the move would go.

When I moved across the country, I bought these mailers from bags unlimited: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/7238/lp-record-mailer-box-holds-bfont-colorredup-to-20bfont-vinyl-records-br-snug-fit-12-1116-x-12-1116-x-3-brdouble-walled-edges-help-ensure-safe-delivery

They fit a bunch of records in each box. They were really nice. I didn't send them in the mail, but felt like they would have held up pretty well if I had. I put them in a uhaul trailer and drove that. Everything made the trip perfectly fine. I think they would work great if you're using a moving company too. The records fit perfectly in the box and they are double walled. 

44 minutes ago, tipyourbartender said:

When I moved across the country, I bought these mailers from bags unlimited: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/7238/lp-record-mailer-box-holds-bfont-colorredup-to-20bfont-vinyl-records-br-snug-fit-12-1116-x-12-1116-x-3-brdouble-walled-edges-help-ensure-safe-delivery

They fit a bunch of records in each box. They were really nice. I didn't send them in the mail, but felt like they would have held up pretty well if I had. I put them in a uhaul trailer and drove that. Everything made the trip perfectly fine. I think they would work great if you're using a moving company too. The records fit perfectly in the box and they are double walled. 

I said somewhere else in the thread but the records are already all boxed up, it's transport I need to figure out

• 1 month later...

I moved 2-3K LP's & 45's + equipment from New Orleans to Dallas last August. I packed everything in Uhaul boxes. I had my 45's in white boxes already and made sure there wasn't any movement. I put the LP's in Uhaul small boxes. I wrote fragile on all of them. I hired a 3 man crew to pack my apartment into a Uhaul. I drove to Texas. Hired two guys to unload all my shit into a storage unit. Each loading/unloading event cost $250 + I tipped them. 

On 3/16/2022 at 1:39 AM, DecayToDeath said:

approximately 20 uhaul boxes' worth (~1200-1300) plus another much larger box with my turntable, amp, and speakers / i'll be moving a half hour to another part of SoCal ....

Just saying "yo" from a fellow Pittsburgh --> Cali transplant. (But Im Norcal)

Not going to be able to add to much *helpful* info here, other than to say I have used "PODS" for long distance transport and had an acceptable experience. Its basically a small shipping container you can load yourself, or pay to have loaded, then they freight it around and deliver it to your new address at a time of your choosing (or they can keep it stored for a low monthly rate).  The ability to delay delivery can be really helpful if you need some time to sort out your living arrangements, or get the stuff your bringing in your own car moved and settled first rather than doing it all at once.

Good luck!