(Out Now) - The Almost - Southern Weather (Colored Repress)

14 minutes ago, xthricex said:

MFers better just put up that studio album for sale by itself. Not everyone wants a huge bloated deluxe version of things. What a stupid way to repress this album. 

While I consider myself in the camp of those who actually look forward to all the extra with this one, I completely agree. Every time this album gets a repress it sells out. Might as well print money if it was me

5 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

damn i woke up this morning thinking wish i could put the almost demos and acoustic versions on my turntable, so glad they did this 85 dollar box set, instead of having a stand-alone repress for 25, good, fan friendly thing to do, big up.

Sad Happy Hour GIF

😉😁

37 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

besides you seem like someone who swallows everything bands/labels push down in your throat, please tell me one thing why is this a justifiable release? I'm listening

seth meyers lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

My friend, I could careless whether it's "justifiable". Justification is primarily relative anyway. Is it justifiable by your terms? Doubtful. Seems literally every release on this god damn site isn't by the way your recent activity/comments from other posts read...

If you're no longer into paying for the crack, then simply quit and let the rest of us addicts use in peace

17 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

seth meyers lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

My friend, I could careless whether it's "justifiable". Justification is primarily relative anyway. Is it justifiable by your terms? Doubtful. Seems literally every release on this god damn site isn't by the way your recent activity/comments from other posts read...

If you're no longer into paying for the crack, then simply quit and let the rest of us addicts use in peace

but where (how high) is the end? I just want to understand a mindset of people who don't even raise their eyebrows on recent prices, let alone clapping for this huge price increase like it it's totally normal. You really don't question these things? What was the need to this instead of a single LP + bandcamp pay what you want for the demos (they don't meant to be pressed on vinyl, it was never their intention with them)?

I started collecting when LPs were 10-12 bucks with 10-12 dollar shipping to my place. now it's 25-30 + 25-35 shipping, sorry if my crying disturbs you, but I think we have way passed the rationality of this business.

4 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

but where (how high) is the end? I just want to understand a mindset of people who don't even raise their eyebrows on recent prices, let alone clapping for this huge price increase like it it's totally normal. You really don't question these things? What was the need to this instead of a single LP + bandcamp pay what you want for the demos (they don't meant to be pressed on vinyl, it was never their intention with them)?

I started collecting when LPs were 10-12 bucks with 10-12 dollar shipping to my place. now it's 25-30 + 25-35 shipping, sorry if my crying disturbs you, but I think we have way passed the rationality of this business.

Mindset? Personally I can afford it. At the same time, I don't find it respectful or in anyway cool to have to talk about that side of things. I think it's pretty obvious that within the vinyl collector and vinyl hi-fi world there are drastically varying gaps of wealth. I'm not here to argue with people about what a commodity/good/service should or shouldn't cost. If I can afford it and I want it, I will buy it. If I'm unable to afford it, then I wont. 

Case-and-point being the recent Linkin Park 20th Anniversary of Meteroa coming up. Regardless of anyone personal opinions about LP or nu-metal in general, that album was a game changer in my life musically and as a musician. The Live in Texas CD/DVD was everything to me in 2004. So when the anniversary was upcoming, I was so excited that they may be pressing that live album for the first time ever on vinyl (officially). And low and behold they did...except they decided to only include it with the 'Super Deluxe' bundle version for.. $200. That made me quite sad, because that album is all i need. And though, yes, I was a bit peeved in the thread, I simply said: "The fact that they didnt include the Live In Texas 2xLP in the 'vinyl boxset' is a bit upsetting. But alas, looks like I will be dropping $200+ at some point to get the super deluxe as Live In Texas is one of my grails..."

It is what it is. This shit shouldnt be that important to us man

7 hours ago, ethanpricington said:

Mindset? Personally I can afford it. At the same time, I don't find it respectful or in anyway cool to have to talk about that side of things. I think it's pretty obvious that within the vinyl collector and vinyl hi-fi world there are drastically varying gaps of wealth. I'm not here to argue with people about what a commodity/good/service should or shouldn't cost. If I can afford it and I want it, I will buy it. If I'm unable to afford it, then I wont. 

This is so capitalist way of thinking but whatever, if you think that I can accept it, but at the same time I work differently. I can also afford it, but the price is way-way less in pair with it's value day by day and I keep asking myself if I need this more and more. What is not respectful? talking about overpriced items? towards the band/label? I think if anywhere here is the place to talk about it and have different opinions to clash let it be the music itself, or in this case the price. I think music shouldn't be a high-end commodity like this is going towards.

Edited by xfactor675

@xfactor675 @ethanpricington the part of your discussion that resonates with me is the fact that the demos really don’t need to be pressed to vinyl. No demos need to be. The only instance where I was okay with it was the Armor For Sleep repress a few years ago, because that was only $30 for what was a really excellent package. $85 for an expanded box of this album? Not good value for money, IMO. 

On 3/7/2023 at 1:00 PM, xfactor675 said:

This is so capitalist way of thinking but whatever, if you think that I can accept it, but at the same time I work differently. I can also afford it, but the price is way-way less in pair with it's value day by day and I keep asking myself if I need this more and more. What is not respectful? talking about overpriced items? towards the band/label? I think if anywhere here is the place to talk about it and have different opinions to clash let it be the music itself, or in this case the price. I think music shouldn't be a high-end commodity like this is going towards.

Inflation exists and the packaging on this limited run is expensive to print, not to mention shipping on their end before it even ships out to us. Then after production costs the label, artist, unoriginal vinyl, etc take a cut of the sale. I doubt anyone is getting rich off of this release. If it's not in your willingness-to-pay, don't buy it. But, some of us enjoy high-quality packaging, demos, and other bonus items. I'm excited to dive into this set and revisit an album that meant a lot to me when it was released.

1 hour ago, illuminographer said:

Inflation exists and the packaging on this limited run is expensive to print, not to mention shipping on their end before it even ships out to us. Then after production costs the label, artist, unoriginal vinyl, etc take a cut of the sale. I doubt anyone is getting rich off of this release. If it's not in your willingness-to-pay, don't buy it. But, some of us enjoy high-quality packaging, demos, and other bonus items. I'm excited to dive into this set and revisit an album that meant a lot to me when it was released.

yeah exactly inflation exists pretty hard these days and this is a time where you cut costs (for yourself and your buyers) if you are a fan-friendly label, and not make pointless stuff. Will you really listen the demos and acoustic tracks on vinyl more than 1 time ever? it should have just added digitally while keeping this a 1LP release. I just don't get this, ok I never cared about this record, but i was angry at the fsf book last year as well, so pointless while I just wanted the record, so skipped it. So yeah unoriginal is tend to do the flashy stuff instead of just sticking with releasing records, but I guess i have the issue here as I want records for the music, not for books...

feels like the way to go would be to do deluxe + standalone single album version LP for sought after, OOP cult classics like FSF or Southern Weather when it comes time for a (re)press. you've already got the plates and it's easy to order a few hundred extra jackets for a standard edition while you're making a boxset. though i'm sure it requires some tradeoffs (i.e. i'd be willing to bet having a standard edition available depresses deluxe sales in a way that UOV doesn't feel good about), why not attempt to do collector-minded editions (higher quality components, expensive deluxe editions) and fan-friendly ones at the same time?

1 hour ago, copelandkid said:

feels like the way to go would be to do deluxe + standalone single album version LP for sought after, OOP cult classics like FSF or Southern Weather when it comes time for a (re)press. you've already got the plates and it's easy to order a few hundred extra jackets for a standard edition while you're making a boxset. though i'm sure it requires some tradeoffs (i.e. i'd be willing to bet having a standard edition available depresses deluxe sales in a way that UOV doesn't feel good about), why not attempt to do collector-minded editions (higher quality components, expensive deluxe editions) and fan-friendly ones at the same time?

This is essentially what Mewithoutyou did and they had no problem selling out of the deluxe multiple times while still providing standard as well