Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone

last album was horrendous, two singles have been very meh. bringing nothing new to punk, just like the menzingers. theyre like a bad version of mom jeans. is this pop punk for people who havent heard better recent lyricists and songwriters like Posture & The Grizzly, Graduating Life, (old) Modern Baseball, or didn't grow up with that Alkaline Trio- type "alt rock" sound in the early 00's that we've now heard a million times? cool twinkly guitars like the ole days of TWIABP, but way too fast-paced to create the right mood. what am i missing? cheap low iq lyric anthems. refrain x40: "it gets harder, doesnt it?!??!?". Like come on. might as well be matchbox 20's "how far we've come". unpopular opinion, i get it

But for real, as someone who was never into Alkaline Trio or a pop-punk phase, it’s a fun record.  It doesn’t reinvent the wheel.  It doesn’t just totally, like, speak to me on a relatable level, man.  And maybe some bands have honed in on elements of their sound more proficiently, in years prior.  Totally willing to accept all of those things.  But at the end of the day it’s still an enjoyable album.  And in a timeline where Green Day is still churning out records in 2020, I’m gonna’ go this route.  If we tried to compare each and every new release with what’s been done before, modern music would be pretty fucking dull.

33 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

last album was horrendous, two singles have been very meh. bringing nothing new to punk, just like the menzingers. theyre like a bad version of mom jeans. is this pop punk for people who havent heard better recent lyricists and songwriters like Posture & The Grizzly, Graduating Life, (old) Modern Baseball, or didn't grow up with that Alkaline Trio- type "alt rock" sound in the early 00's that we've now heard a million times? cool twinkly guitars like the ole days of TWIABP, but way too fast-paced to create the right mood. what am i missing? cheap low iq lyric anthems. refrain x40: "it gets harder, doesnt it?!??!?". Like come on. might as well be matchbox 20's "how far we've come". unpopular opinion, i get it

yeahhhh you can fuck off. 

figured it was an unpopular opinion. didn't expect this type of well thought out rebuttal, but i expect you'll see many tweens fresh off of the paramore tour at whatever show of these guys you attend, so to each his own i guess. it sounds like others have heard the entire album, and if it is anything like the singles, I guess no one wanted to mention how much more formulaic and less "hearty" these tracks are than schmaltz, and this is coming from someone who deleted that album after 3-4 listens.

29 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

But for real, as someone who was never into Alkaline Trio or a pop-punk phase, it’s a fun record.  It doesn’t reinvent the wheel.  It doesn’t just totally, like, speak to me on a relatable level, man.  And maybe some bands have honed in on elements of their sound more proficiently, in years prior.  Totally willing to accept all of those things.  But at the end of the day it’s still an enjoyable album.  And in a timeline where Green Day is still churning out records in 2020, I’m gonna’ go this route.  If we tried to compare each and every new release with what’s been done before, modern music would be pretty fucking dull.

look, i respect your opinion and i'm pretty sure you've turned me on to a few great albums/bands here before. your posts in this thread contributed to me even considering listening to this album. but i heard schmaltz a bunch of times and ive heard plenty of menzingers. seems you are coming around on the latter's later stuff being rubbish, but I just think it needs to be said that there is such better stuff out there than all of this - and better stuff in this specific genre subset. if tmv has become a meme or coheed-esque joke, so be it. their albums remain some of the best songwriting and lyricism i have ever heard

edit: also, I agree with the general sentiment of Derek's post about enjoyable albums and the music landscape being pretty barren. to each his own very much... i just feel that people I talk to in public about punk bring up the menzingers all the time like they are some revelation (im guessing this is the next version of that), and it irks me a lil bit.

Edited by Chrundle The Great

1 minute ago, Chrundle The Great said:

look, i respect your opinion and i'm pretty sure you've turned me on to a few great albums/bands here before. your posts in this thread contributed to me even considering listening to this album. but i heard schmaltz a bunch of times and ive heard plenty of menzingers. seems you are coming around on the latter's later stuff being rubbish, but I just think it needs to be said that there is such better stuff out there than all of this - and better stuff in this specific genre subset. if tmv has become a meme or coheed-esque joke, so be it. their albums remain some of the best songwriting and lyricism i have ever heard

the mars volta fuckin' sucks dude. get out of here.

7 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

I liked this new album a whole lot more than Schmaltz for what it’s worth.  When Dan said that album has “a few bangers” [paraphrasing], he wasn’t exaggerating.  Some standout moments but nothing as a whole that floored me, if we’re being honest.  Didn’t feel compelled to snoop on Discogs immediately after, as I usually do when I’m late to the party with something that impresses me.

I don’t know if I fully grasp that TWIABP comparison.  Does anyone else get the same vibe or connect those dots?  Just going over my head, then?  Okay.

(And to be fair, a lot of TMV’s discography is pretty whatever in my books.  But De-Loused is pretty timeless.  I was mostly just baiting.)

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

I liked this new album a whole lot more than Schmaltz for what it’s worth.  When Dan said that album has “a few bangers” [paraphrasing], he wasn’t exaggerating.  Some standout moments but nothing as a whole that floored me, if we’re being honest.  Didn’t feel compelled to snoop on Discogs immediately after, as I usually do when I’m late to the party with something that impresses me.

I don’t know if I fully grasp that TWIABP comparison.  Does anyone else get the same vibe or connect those dots?  Just going over my head, then?  Okay.

(And to be fair, a lot of TMV’s discography is pretty whatever in my books.  But De-Loused is pretty timeless.  I was mostly just baiting.)

Ha - I knew I shouldn't have even acknowledged the tmv reference last time. my mistake entirely.  the TWIABP comparison was whatever of the released spanish love songs songs i was listening to when i typed that. just another reference point of albums i erroneously think are "better" without having listened to this one yet. also edited my last post with a general aside about your comment on the music landscape of 2020, in agreement. but yeah, i will definitely give this album a shot. there is so little out there, as you said. i wouldn't put it past a band like this to impress on a second attempt.  thanks

36 minutes ago, IanRees said:

Not a big fan of these kind of things going up after albums have come out instead of with the pre-orders (the same thing happened with the Microwave album).  I might have opted for this in a pre-order, but since I've already gotten, opened, and listened to the album, and as someone who is trying hard not to get multiple copies of the same album (THE HOBBY!), I'm going to politely decline. 

40 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

looks like a new pressing went live: Brave Faces Everyone Blood Red & Bone Pinwheel w/ Heavy Black Splatter Vinyl LP

its leftovers of the original variant that went up

200 - PN - Blood Red & Bone Pinwheel w/ Heavy Black Splatter