Official Record Store Day Thread

15 hours ago, Sh100by said:

I think yall are forgetting the best part about RSD... the prices! Imagine how absolutely stupid it'll be seeing a single LP release with a $50 tag? I think it's entirely possible if not probable at this point.

Fuckin' meat and ammo are scarce and marked up. These releases will for sure get the red marker treatment, especially since businesses are severely struggling right now and will be absolutely desperate in a few months (if they're even around by then).

I wonder if a couple stores will be like, "yeah, fuck this, we have them in stock and bills to pay, buy em online now." If even one did this it would snowball and kill this entire dumbass idea lol

I'll try and attend at least one of these dates but it's not just about the limited releases for me anymore. The last 5 years or so I've taken my Dad to a couple of shops and we grab a beer and lunch after. We don't stand in line or anything, we tend to shop in the afternoon and usually there's a RSD release or 2 we were looking for along with some used stuff we end up grabbing. If we miss anything I just go online and grab them on discogs the week after.  My Mom has even started framing the exclusive RSD posters my Dad picks up while we're out. So yeah, it's become more of a father and son thing over the years, which is awesome and we both look forward to it every year.

6 minutes ago, morfiend said:

I'll try and attend at least one of these dates but it's not just about the limited releases for me anymore. The last 5 years or so I've taken my Dad to a couple of shops and we grab a beer and lunch after. We don't stand in line or anything, we tend to shop in the afternoon and usually there's a RSD release or 2 we were looking for along with some used stuff we end up grabbing. If we miss anything I just go online and grab them on discogs the week after.  My Mom has even started framing the exclusive RSD posters my Dad picks up while we're out. So yeah, it's become more of a father and son thing over the years, which is awesome and we both look forward to it every year.

That's actually really nice/ wholesome. Be safe out there.

6 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Fuckin' meat and ammo are scarce and marked up. These releases will for sure get the red marker treatment, especially since businesses are severely struggling right now and will be absolutely desperate in a few months (if they're even around by then).

I wonder if a couple stores will be like, "yeah, fuck this, we have them in stock and bills to pay, buy em online now." If even one did this it would snowball and kill this entire dumbass idea lol

Especially if they're facing the closure of the business, which I'm sure A LOT of smaller stores are.

23 hours ago, IanRees said:

GZ is definitely still open, we have quite a few records currently in production.

Was gonna say so is Pirates Press, but then remembered that's the same company. But now I'm saying it anyway. I'm signed up for their emails for some reason.

Edited by MyckelJay

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yeah this should 100% be online and I also think once a month is a great injection of cash flow for the record stores, which lets all be honest is the most important thing here

RSD replied to a comment on Instagram saying that the RSD rules are laced this year and shops are more than welcome to sell RSD stock online, either partially or completely. It's 100% at the shop's discretion.

1 hour ago, MyckelJay said:

RSD replied to a comment on Instagram saying that the RSD rules are laced this year and shops are more than welcome to sell RSD stock online, either partially or completely. It's 100% at the shop's discretion.

This is the only reasonable option as far as I'm concerned...

Let the horses loose!

3 hours ago, MyckelJay said:

Maybe their big announcement should have hammered this home instead of making a big deal about three specific calendar dates?

22 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Maybe their big announcement should have hammered this home instead of making a big deal about three specific calendar dates?

I completely agree. I should probably clarify, this came from the recordstoredayUS account. UK says they can sell online after 6pm on the dates specified. The US account says it'll be up to the stores to decide what they want to do, so long as it follows "relaxed RSD" rules, which I assume they'll share more information about soon? Based on their comment though, it doesn't look like the 6pm launch rule will be in effect for US stores. But this is just what I gathered from their comment. I don't work for them, so I'm not positive.

• timsimmons changed the title to Official Record Store Day Thread
  • jhulud pinned this topic