Official Record Store Day Thread

• 2 weeks later...

24 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

I read it was because of a mask mandate, or something related, but with 63% of NH adults having at least 1 shot of the vaccine, I didn't buy that. Union busting makes a lot more sense. That's a real shame.

Luke O’Neil spoke to former employees 

On 4/8/2021 at 2:55 PM, JohnMatrix said:

stoked for the Alkaline Trio reissue. That was the only thing that jumped out at me though

Same here, but I'm not really sure how I can get it. I live in the Chicago area, so it's likely that a lot of our stores will have it. Are people calling the stores to see if they will have it on the day?

This Bull Moose shit has me so sad, and also angry as fuck. I've spent thousands of dollars there, including hundreds of visits to the Salem locations (new and old).  

Regarding the mask piece of the equation: it sounds like a large number of the Salem store staff are not yet vaccinated. I've heard tell of at least one of them that isn't and (IIRC) has to help care for their very old grandmother who cannot get vaccinated.

[aside: Salem, NH is a particularly interesting place with, shall I say, special retail challenges. I know this from having worked at the Apple Store up the road from Bull Moose for a couple of years. it's right on the NH/MA border, and because NH doesn't have sales tax, people will drive to NH to save that sweet 6.25%, especially on big purchases like computers in the case of Apple, but also a lot of I'll be kind and say "frugal" peeps will go buy a ton of records at once on a Bull Moose/Newbury trip. Also a heck of a lot of people in southern NH are MA expats who wanted to move to NH for "muh freedoms" and whatnot, particularly in Salem because it's right on the highway to Boston for those people who still work in Boston but think they're being oppressed in MA (I always think this is hilarious because these people pay MA income tax but also the way higher property tax/other local taxes that make up for the fact that NH doesn't have income tax so they're actually kinda getting screwed on both ends, but again, "muh freedoms!" lol). What I'm saying that approximately 2/3 of the people shopping in Salem, which has a mall and miles of strip mall, are either raving assholes or willing to make a scene and start screaming and utterly humiliate a retail worker at the drop of a dime. it sucks ass working in that town.]

So anyway, there's a more-than-acceptable number of people who go to the Salem Bull Moose and in the past year have been shitty about wearing a mask, have complained when asked to put one on, have complained about having to wait outside due to the capacity limit, etc. I've seen it firsthand every time I've gone there in the past year. There are absolutely a lot of people who will go there and say "the CDC says I don't have to wear a mask if I'm fully vaccinated and I'm fully vaccinated so I'm not wearing a mask" and will be lying about being vaccinated. It is absolutely a workplace safety issue for the many as-yet-unvaccinated workers.

On top of that, the workers there have repeatedly been subject to sexual harassment, homophobic and racial harassment, and have repeatedly tried to report these things to management and have been met with pretty poor responses or ignoring the problem entirely.

The Salem store was planning to stop requiring customers to wear masks as of tomorrow, Monday, May 24 (I believe NH dropped its statewide mandate a month ago, but the store had maintained their own mask policy until now). It sounds like some of the workers were talking about staging a walkout out of concern for their safety.

Bull Moose released a pretty weak statement that said closing the store wasn't because of masks, but it sort of was inasmuch as it seems everyone was fired because they may have been organizing because of the mask issue (as well as the abuse issues/etc.). Oh also minimum wage in Maine (where all but 2 of the BM stores are) is $12.15 and in NH it's $7.25 and the Salem store workers absolutely get paid less than the Maine store workers do.

Anyway I'm done with them forever unless some major, major, major changes happen in upper management. It sucks because they've always been so great as far as customer service goes but this shit absolutely cannot stand.

6W7Wua8.jpg

Edited by tape

10 hours ago, yeah_totally said:

I canceled my outstanding pre-orders i had with them. Will find another brick & mortar store to shop at locally or online.

Appalling. 

I have always been one to champion Bull Moose and support them whenever I could, instead of Amazon.

All the employees that were screwed over in Salem need to band together and start their own store, and send out PMs to me, and their other supporters.

I will buy my records from the “new” Salem independent record store then, if Bull Moose wants to act that way. 😠

Edited by Plarocks

On 4/13/2021 at 10:42 PM, dawhizz said:

Some real throwbacks to buzzy bands of the past in these. Post to Wire by Richmond Fontaine and The Thrills’ So Much For the City made me pause to see if I remembered anything of substance  about those albums. 

Along the same lines, I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about a repress of WU LYF’s Go Tell Fire to the Mountain, considering how hard it’s been to find on vinyl since it came out. Maybe not a ton of people know about it, but those who like it generally love it. I think it’s UK only but I’m hoping to luck into a copy somehow. 

I hope to bag a copy or two....not many of them available though. Also, i noticed that Dirty Three's Ocean Songs 4xlp boxset that was cancelled last year is back..this time with larger pressing number.

Edited by Gizzoid

On 6/8/2021 at 6:48 PM, Gizzoid said:

I hope to bag a copy or two....not many of them available though. Also, i noticed that Dirty Three's Ocean Songs 4xlp boxset that was cancelled last year is back..this time with larger pressing number.

Fwiw, I heard that there's only 400 copies allotted to NA.

Edited by OneThreeOneTwo

There's never been a good record store near me, all 40+ minutes away. Forgot that my friend now works at the record store I was planning on going to. He already set aside copies on Anti-Flag 20/20 Division and Alkaline Trio for me. I guess this is why people like record store ha. Now just to find a copy of that Senses Fail at another store.

On 5/23/2021 at 8:23 AM, MacDonals said:

Same here, but I'm not really sure how I can get it. I live in the Chicago area, so it's likely that a lot of our stores will have it. Are people calling the stores to see if they will have it on the day?

Same here. I’m in the suburbs of Chicago and local stores here have told me they didn’t get any. Which sucks. Likely Chicago stores will have it. Worth a quick call or message to stores to see if they even got them in their order.

7 hours ago, bear801 said:

My local shop didn't seem to get more than 1 of anything.  Kind of weird.   

and apparently people are calling him nonstop about the Ariana Grande 3LP.   

we had an angry customer call because apparently we were the only ones in the area who ordered it and he was really perturbed by everyone else opting out on ordering Ari. We got allocated less than half our order so it will probably be a blood bath

• timsimmons changed the title to Official Record Store Day Thread