Jump to content
timsimmons

Once more unto the breach, dear friends...Record Store Day 2020: Pt. Deux

Recommended Posts

Guest deletemyaccountplease

Will The Weeknd be hard to find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest deletemyaccountplease

My friend is looking on the west coast but 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2020 at 1:26 PM, museummouth said:

Luckily nothing i want this year except Cherry Bomb which shouldn’t be too hard to get online after. 

Curious to see how this one does. 7250 is quite a lot but it seems like absolutely everyone wants a copy, and I'm sure people will be trying to flip them (some successfully, even) on reddit before they're sold out online

 

It's still hilarious to me how one of the most polarizing and vulgar rappers of the early 2010s has turned into this wholesome, mainstream pop artist in such a short span of time. I guess this album is like right smack in the middle of that transition. (I too will be trying to get it, of course)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, al-naafiysh said:

It's still hilarious to me how one of the most polarizing and vulgar rappers of the early 2010s has turned into this wholesome, mainstream pop artist in such a short span of time. I guess this album is like right smack in the middle of that transition. (I too will be trying to get it, of course)

That’s what he wanted to be the whole time. Wholesome now? Not so much. Short span? 9-10 years? For someone who was in their teens when they started making music, that’s almost half a lifetime and his entire early adulthood, wouldn’t necessarily call that brief span of time. Are you familiar with David Bowie’s discography from 1970-1980?

Edited by MyEnemy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

That’s what he wanted to be the whole time. Wholesome now? Not so much. Short span? 9-10 years? For someone who was in their teens when they started making music, that’s almost half a lifetime and his entire early adulthood, wouldn’t necessarily call that brief span of time. Are you familiar with David Bowie’s discography from 1970-1980?

That's true, maybe it just seems fast to me because I watched it happen (unlike Bowie).

But to be fair, Wolf was 2013 and has Trash Wang, Pigs, Tamale, etc. Not as crazy as Bastard, but definitely continuing  many of the same themes. Flower Boy was a pretty big departure in 2017, Igor took it further in 2019 - they're not that far apart. The dude's only 29.

Wholesome may not be exactly the right word, but by the standards of his hip-hop and r&b contemporaries, Tyler's gotten pretty positive and (relatively) PG.

 

Even with other hip-hop acts that have seen radical or broad career evolutions - Kanye, Mos Def, arguably Kendrick - I think Tyler is unusual in how his message and attitude have shifted as he's 'grown up.' It does make sense, but it would be funny to put an early Tyler show side by side with a current one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 11:15 PM, al-naafiysh said:

That's true, maybe it just seems fast to me because I watched it happen (unlike Bowie).

 

 

But to be fair, Wolf was 2013 and has Trash Wang, Pigs, Tamale, etc. Not as crazy as Bastard, but definitely continuing  many of the same themes. Flower Boy was a pretty big departure in 2017, Igor took it further in 2019 - they're not that far apart. The dude's only 29.

 

 

Wholesome may not be exactly the right word, but by the standards of his hip-hop and r&b contemporaries, Tyler's gotten pretty positive and (relatively) PG.

 

Even with other hip-hop acts that have seen radical or broad career evolutions - Kanye, Mos Def, arguably Kendrick - I think Tyler is unusual in how his message and attitude have shifted as he's 'grown up.' It does make sense, but it would be funny to put an early Tyler show side by side with a current one.

Yep. Went to an early show and it basically felt like a metal show. Even had a trash band opener. Was sick AF, def a shift in vibe since then, but all good stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. Looks like I may shit outta luck on Saturday. 

 

The two stores that I would have considered going at all. One didn't get any Slint nor June of 44. The other did get the Slint but just one copy. And maybe they also got Robyn and Charli XCX

 

So I am either going to have to resort to wait online if and when any go up...or reply on someone who may also be braving the day and help me out. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Well. Looks like I may shit outta luck on Saturday. 

 

The two stores that I would have considered going at all. One didn't get any Slint nor June of 44. The other did get the Slint but just one copy. And maybe they also got Robyn and Charli XCX

 

So I am either going to have to resort to wait online if and when any go up...or reply on someone who may also be braving the day and help me out. 

 

 

 

 

My stores (2 in Rehoboth with 1 owner) got 1 Charli... My friend already has the first appointment to get it. This year might be the worst.

Edited by N8TRU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jhulud said:

Well. Looks like I may shit outta luck on Saturday. 

 

The two stores that I would have considered going at all. One didn't get any Slint nor June of 44. The other did get the Slint but just one copy. And maybe they also got Robyn and Charli XCX

 

So I am either going to have to resort to wait online if and when any go up...or reply on someone who may also be braving the day and help me out. 

 

 

 

 

Whoa whoa whoa. There’s a Slint release? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I know this is a shitty move, but I haven't been paying attention and I can't be assed to go back through 18 pages and figure this out.  What are the rules this year with these stupid ass drops?

Is it going to be easier than usual to just shop online?  Where are you guys shopping online?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no rules. It depends on the store. 


Some stores are doing online only. Some stores are scheduling 15 min shopping windows. Some stores are allowing lineups but only letting the minimum amount of people in the store at a time.  You have to check with your local. 

 

 

But yeah, its just gonna be easier to do wait here for the online links and discogs updates and buy them IMO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are really no rules. The RSD folks left everything up to each store that will be open and take in customers. 

 

The stores here in my area that are open and running are doing things to avoid people lining up and risking close contact. One store is doing appointments where you sign up for times throughout the day to go into the store at 15-20 minute intervals. They started it out yesterday with the sign-ups. 

 

Another store, and one I may go to, they're doing random wristbands and sign-up by email. I swung by the store yesterday to get the signed T-Swizzle folklore CD, and went for the wristband. They started that out yesterday. Essentially you had to reach into a bag a pull out a wristband. The bands were designated group numbers for times to be allowed into the store and browse and shop. I got #34 so that put me in the 10am group. And they're allowing 5 people per 30 minutes I believe. And if you couldn't make it to the store for the wristband, they're having people email and they'd pull up the bands for them. 

 

As for online sales...I think they're leaving that up to stores' discretion also. I could be wrong. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jhulud said:

There are really no rules. The RSD folks left everything up to each store that will be open and take in customers. 

 

The stores here in my area that are open and running are doing things to avoid people lining up and risking close contact. One store is doing appointments where you sign up for times throughout the day to go into the store at 15-20 minute intervals. They started it out yesterday with the sign-ups. 

 

Another store, and one I may go to, they're doing random wristbands and sign-up by email. I swung by the store yesterday to get the signed T-Swizzle folklore CD, and went for the wristband. They started that out yesterday. Essentially you had to reach into a bag a pull out a wristband. The bands were designated group numbers for times to be allowed into the store and browse and shop. I got #34 so that put me in the 10am group. And they're allowing 5 people per 30 minutes I believe. And if you couldn't make it to the store for the wristband, they're having people email and they'd pull up the bands for them. 

 

As for online sales...I think they're leaving that up to stores' discretion also. I could be wrong. 

 

 I've updated the thread title so people know exactly what to expect this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Another store, and one I may go to, they're doing random wristbands and sign-up by email. I swung by the store yesterday to get the signed T-Swizzle folklore CD, and went for the wristband. They started that out yesterday. Essentially you had to reach into a bag a pull out a wristband. The bands were designated group numbers for times to be allowed into the store and browse and shop. I got #34 so that put me in the 10am group. And they're allowing 5 people per 30 minutes I believe.

“I think we need to be smart with RSD this year and limit the number of people that can shop the store at one time.”

”For sure.  How would we even determine that though?”

”I’m thinking we just have everyone reach into a giant bag and feel out a wristband to grab.  Makes a lot more sense than just one of us drawing a raffle number or something, right?”

”Nice, nice.  I was just gonna’ suggest grabbing a sticky note at random off a table using just their mouths but that really works too.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jhulud said:

^^ In the store's defense...they had a big ol' bottle of hand-sanitizer on the counter right by the bag and the store lady told me to use before reaching in and right after....

 

But yeah...that is funny though. 

Nice.  I was hoping there was a piece of the puzzle I was missing there.  Sounds like a fair approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

early intel appears to indicate that it looks like a lot of stores are receiving very few copies of titles, and it seems like amoeba and bullmoose are getting a shit-ton -- presumably for online sale overstock. who the hell wants to camp out in heat wearing a face covering, anyway? even if you have a store that has "appointments" -- what if you're lucky to be first (or close to it) and the store lets in 5 people at a time and the store only received, say, 3 copies of one title and those others are interested in the same one. you may be screwed even in that scenario...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×