Official Record Store Day Thread

I’m totally for online RSD. It sucks that stores won’t be able to sell as

much non-RSD stuff, which is huge for our local stores. But if you’re not buying and supporting your local stores right now, DO THAT!!! 

Personally it’ll be easier for me to pick up what I want, if it were online. Or I can just wait, like every year, and get 75% of what I want, and buy in stores, on Discogs for 25-50% cheaper. 

Edited by MyEnemy

48 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I’m totally for online RSD. It sucks that stores won’t be able to sell as

much non-RSD stuff, which is huge for our local stores. But if you’re not buying and supporting your local stores right now, DO THAT!!! 

Personally it’ll be easier for me to pick up what I want, if it were online. Or I can just wait, like every year, and get 75% of what I want, and buy in stores, on Discogs for 25-50% cheaper. 

Except The Crow...

1 hour ago, MyEnemy said:

Your local shop sucks.

Well, this was an unusual occurrence for them. In the past, they would get more RSD stock than the other stores surrounding them, and often sell them at, or even BELOW list price.

It was my “camp out” location.

Last year was just weird.

Edited by Plarocks

26 minutes ago, Number11 said:

If it is done online, some type of system needs to be put in place. My local record stores always struggle when they release left over stock online. No way can the servers handle this.

There's ways it can be done but it requires a lot of work. Only accepting orders for local addresses for the first day is one way, although tedious. Submitting orders through email to verify locality could work too for smaller shops. 

Most stores don't have an online presence. Maybe they do discogs or ebay, but I'm willing to bet, most are store fronts only. If the June date won't work or will be difficult to pull off, just forgo this years event and let the stock come out like any other release. Its a shame it wouldn't be a surge for the business, but at least theres stock that they can sell over the course of the summer and they can get sales that way.

1 minute ago, hookups96 said:

Could RSD or labels sell these items direct to customers  and then allocate money back out to independent shops based on previous years RSD stock revived. This way one place for everyone to shop online and less server errors.  

Not fairly no. Especially with less people buying retail items in general. This would result in most of the money just going to the big stores only. 

If it were up to me I’d allocate the stock to stores as promised and let them do as they please. Sell online in one day, trickle it out over weeks or months, save it for when they reopen to the public, hold it all black until RSDBF - if it’s not going to be possible to do a single holiday like past years and any further delay will start bumping up against Black Friday, let the stores do as they wish, they should know what works best in their situation.

1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

If it were up to me I’d allocate the stock to stores as promised and let them do as they please. Sell online in one day, trickle it out over weeks or months, save it for when they reopen to the public, hold it all black until RSDBF - if it’s not going to be possible to do a single holiday like past years and any further delay will start bumping up against Black Friday, let the stores do as they wish, they should know what works best in their situation.

Perfectly said.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

But still be a cluster fuck

Oh absolutely, but without sitting outside for 8 hours and having to piss into your friend's gatorade bottle without telling them. Also a flipper's paradise. Click, buy, next store, repeat. Rarelimiteds and lazylabrador should be stocked the day(s) after.

Dumbfuck edit: My apologies, I don't know why, but I just assumed it would be online sales for 3 different days. Assumtive I guess.

Edited by Fowty Dollaz
I'm an idiot?

3 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Oh absolutely, but without sitting outside for 8 hours and having to piss into your friend's gatorade bottle without telling them. Also a flipper's paradise. Click, buy, next store, repeat. Rarelimiteds and lazylabrador should be stocked the day(s) after.

This is still in store. Just split into 3 days so that in theory the crowds will be smaller each day.

• timsimmons changed the title to Official Record Store Day Thread
  • jhulud pinned this topic