Official Record Store Day Thread

The Bull Moose cancelations are kind of dumb.  Can someone explain to me the real strategy of keeping these exclusive for October?  The idea of splitting up RSD into multiple dates was to stagger the mass appeal of releases, thereby reducing the number of bodies in a store... right?  Why not have a day - last weekend - to celebrate the "in store" experience, and then take the rest online?  If people want to place orders and spend money now – which won't actually leave their bank until end of October – why halt it?  Seems pretty dumb to me, and gives customers a chance to lose interest or shop around.  As a seller, I'd want to lock that shit in now.  I know it's more an RSD policy than a Bull Moose one, so clearly my critique needs some redirection.  But RSD spirit is in the air, and we're all in it, doing our best to not breathe it in too much.  But just on VC, I mean: helping one another with links.  Rejoicing in those clutch restocks that seem too good to be true, but actually end up shipping.  Finding that 1 sweet listing on Discogs and racing through checkout.  Banding together and covering our assholes from scalpers on the prowl.  It's community.  It's a good vibe for as shitty and frustrating as RSD tends to be.  Why part that out into a bunch of tiny, frustrating days?  There's two more scheduled releases of this shit?

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

The Bull Moose cancelations are kind of dumb.  Can someone explain to me the real strategy of keeping these exclusive for October?  The idea of splitting up RSD into multiple dates was to stagger the mass appeal of releases, thereby reducing the number of bodies in a store... right?  Why not have a day - last weekend - to celebrate the "in store" experience, and then take the rest online?  If people want to place orders and spend money now – which won't actually leave their bank until end of October – why halt it?  Seems pretty dumb to me, and gives customers a chance to lose interest or shop around.  As a seller, I'd want to lock that shit in now.  I know it's more an RSD policy than a Bull Moose one, so clearly my critique needs some redirection.  But RSD spirit is in the air, and we're all in it, doing our best to not breathe it in too much.  But just on VC, I mean: helping one another with links.  Rejoicing in those clutch restocks that seem too good to be true, but actually end up shipping.  Finding that 1 sweet listing on Discogs and racing through checkout.  Banding together and covering our assholes from scalpers on the prowl.  It's community.  It's a good vibe for as shitty and frustrating as RSD tends to be.  Why part that out into a bunch of tiny, frustrating days?  There's two more scheduled releases of this shit?

I wish the pre-orders went through because my only other option is to hit up resellers because I work every weekend and im not about to take a vacation day in hopes I might get 1 or 2 things I want at a store 40 minutes away. This rsd there was only 2 records I really wanted and was only able to get one at retail and im not about to drop $125 on spacehog. The September rsd  wants are about $300 so after I hit up ebay they'll cost like $600? Sorry but there's no excitement there for me.

58 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I live in Los Angeles and I can't imagine a world (or shop no matter how much I love my local spots) where I want to social distance line up at the crack of dawn for 1 or 2 items. I don't know what the best way to handle it is but this was truly worse than usual.

51 minutes ago, punkrockjeff said:

I wish the pre-orders went through because my only other option is to hit up resellers because I work every weekend and im not about to take a vacation day in hopes I might get 1 or 2 things I want at a store 40 minutes away. This rsd there was only 2 records I really wanted and was only able to get one at retail and im not about to drop $125 on spacehog. The September rsd  wants are about $300 so after I hit up ebay they'll cost like $600? Sorry but there's no excitement there for me.

F.  No way I'd try to scoop up a "would-be" $300 haul of vinyl on the aftermarket, either.  I can especially relate to the struggle of having to drive just for a chance to show up and maybe buy something – that was my situation for years.  I've never taken a day off for RSD, either, so they weren't even feasible when I used to work weekend.

5 minutes ago, vinny0190 said:

I live in Los Angeles and I can't imagine a world (or shop no matter how much I love my local spots) where I want to social distance line up at the crack of dawn for 1 or 2 items.

Was that what you witnessed this year?  Gotta' be an especially grueling / boring lineup if everyone is spaced out and encouraged not to socialize too closely.  I've never done an overnight lineup for RSD but I imagine they're only manageable with good company.  Remove that aspect and it's just a bunch of pretentious assholes waiting in the cold to get dibs on a limited record.

Just now, Derek™ said:

F.  No way I'd try to scoop up a "would-be" $300 haul of vinyl on the aftermarket, either.  I can especially relate to the struggle of having to drive just for a chance to show up and maybe buy something – that was my situation for years.  I've never taken a day off for RSD, either, so they weren't even feasible when I used to work weekend.

Was that what you witnessed this year?  Gotta' be an especially grueling / boring lineup if everyone is spaced out and encouraged not to socialize too closely.  I've never done an overnight lineup for RSD but I imagine they're only manageable with good company.  Remove that aspect and it's just a bunch of pretentious assholes waiting in the cold to get dibs on a limited record.

I didn't go out this year since I was pet-sitting but it seems like every shop near LA I would go to was doing some sort of distance line-up or other way to limit people. Your right too, the best memories are being out super early and chatting with people, making plans to help each other so everyone gets what they want.

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I waited in line for 8 hours and didn’t talk to anyone until 60-90 minutes before the shop opened. I was perfectly fine not socializing with anyone. It was a bunch of old dudes and hypebeasts. Beer helped.

Also, perfect weather in Southern California.

Edited by MyEnemy

3 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I waited in line for 8 hours and didn’t talk to anyone until 60-90 minutes before the shop opened. I was perfectly fine not socializing with anyone. It was a bunch of old dudes and hypebeasts. Beer helped.

Also, perfect weather in Southern California.

Damn.  I don't know if I could do it.  What'd you do to pass the time for the first 7 hours?

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Damn.  I don't know if I could do it.  What'd you do to pass the time for the first 7 hours?

There was a lot of stuff I wanted and didn’t want to have to deal with buying everything from 8 different shops or ebay/Discogs. Helps I live 10 minute walk away from one of the main shops in San Diego. 

I just listened to pod casts I’d been slacking on and drank 8 beers. Pissed 5 times and didn’t sit down for 6 hours haha

31 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

I just meant like, standing alone, in public, with no one to hold your spot...I'm vaguely familiar with concept of male urination. Vaguely.

I was alone until 2 AM. Probably did once or twice when no one else was there. Once someone else showed up, they knew what was up, didn’t even have to ask them to hold my spot, and I just left and pee pee’d around the block, like a true deviant.

36 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

I just meant like, standing alone, in public, with no one to hold your spot...I'm vaguely familiar with concept of male urination. Vaguely.

In some states, you can get arrested for holding someone’s “spot” while they pee. 

I did overnight for RSD a few times. My roommate and I went at like 2am. We just hung out and the weirdos provided entertainment. At one point some drunk frat bros knocked over my roommates scooter. So we chased them down (after we got some dudes to hold our place in line) and got in a fight in the middle of the road (was really close to U of U campus) and the cops came. There was also this weird dude who wandered by and just stood around for hours until the store started grilling pancakes for everyone. He honestly waited for like 4 hours for a free pancake. Me and my old roommate just refer to him as “pancakes” and laugh about it years later. I did it the following year and I think the year after not. No good stories out of it. Just really cold in Portland that year. But that’s when we were getting In Utero Albini Mix and then Polaris Pete and Pete. Nothing this year would make me stand outside all night, especially during a pandemic. 

• timsimmons changed the title to Official Record Store Day Thread