Official Record Store Day Thread

15 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Does Mexico have RSD?

I ask because there's a record I stumbled upon on eBay for a Mexican pop artist and it's being labeled as an RSD release. 

That's pretty cool.  I'm finding that I'm enjoying collecting more "obscure" stuff these days. In rifling through my records when I unboxed everything after the move. I found some interesting stuff from Russian groups. Some from the USSR days. 

Edited by Direct driver

28 minutes ago, Direct driver said:

Well, I've survived without it so far.  But most stores will let me in without a mask. It's not really an issue.

BTW, this year I did a lot of driving around the US. I like to collect "record store branded" turntable mats. I got one in Waco Texas, Dallas Texas, Seattle Washington, Chicago Illinois, Indianapolis Indiana and Nashville Tennessee. I did have to wear a mask going into one store, but was able to take it off once I got inside. I stopped at dozens of gas stations, typically Loves and Pilot. Never had to wear one. Nobody said anything. 

The US may take this differently than the UK. It's pretty harmless to those of us outside nursing homes.

Yeah, only 400K plus people have died from it in the US, so pretty harmless you fucking dunce.

29 minutes ago, ZeroNowhere said:

Yeah, only 400K plus people have died from it in the US, so pretty harmless you fucking dunce.

This thread is about RSD 2021. I didn't mean to create a chitstorm just by mentioning I don't wear a mask. It's important to remember, regarding pretty much everything, that opinions vary. I don't think this thread is the place to argue it. I don't think it's the place to argue the usefulness of profanity so I let all that go as well. 

Edited by Direct driver

2 minutes ago, Direct driver said:

This thread is about RSD 2021. I didn't mean to create a chitstorm just by mentioning I don't wear a mask. It's important to remember, regarding pretty much everything, that opinions vary. I don't think this thread is the place to argue it. I don't think it's the place to argue the usefulness of profanity so I let all that go as well. 

Please go away 

23 minutes ago, IndigoHollow said:

Like what groups?

I'll have to pull it out when I get a second. I'm still in online meetings. I will say this: On is a DG recording of an all men's choir. The other is "ethnic instruments" and also a relatively large group. Both are from my "shopping at estate sales" days in Seattle around 2009. They are pristine, including the jackets. 

About five percent of the music I acquired at that time is "obscure ethnic stuff". But I did get this one, which is absolutely amazing. South African artist:

spacer.png

Edited by Direct driver

3 hours ago, Direct driver said:

It's important to remember, regarding pretty much everything, that opinions vary. I don't think this thread is the place to argue it.

Probably should have left the arbitrary and unnecessary detail that you refuse to wear a mask out of your og post.  Anyone with half a brain could have seen this coming.

47 minutes ago, Dub said:

Probably should have left the arbitrary and unnecessary detail that you refuse to wear a mask out of your og post.  Anyone with half a brain could have seen this coming.

It's a critical part of who I am and no, I did not see it coming. Most of my friends and even "virtual" relationships on the internet either agree with me or have room for the opinions of those who disagree with them. 

But as a newbee, it did give me a feel for the culture of the site. That's a good thing.

Edited by Direct driver

10 minutes ago, daegor said:

Please don't confuse opinions with science.  Unless you start wearing a mask we have not come to any agreement.

We have come to agreement on the concept you very succinctly described in that previous post to which I was referring. And I appreciate that. Regarding whether or not you or anybody else should be wearing a mask is highly controversial and the subject for another thread. This is my last word on it.

I hope we all enjoy RSD this year! I really am looking forward to the crowd as long as I don't have to wait in a long line. I was at Waterloo records in Austin Texas a few weeks ago and the line was crazy. I ended up going online and just ordering from my phone in the parking lot, and the guy came out with my bag of goodies - and we were off to Waco. :)

Edited by Direct driver

9 minutes ago, Direct driver said:

Regarding whether or not you or anybody else should be wearing a mask is highly controversial and the subject for another thread.

It is not controversial, you are being willfully ignorant.  But I agree that this off topic for this thread so I will also drop it at this point.

1 hour ago, MicLima said:

I am once again asking....

Does anyone have a Skid Row they're willing to sell, that won't charge me my left testicle and first-born?

TIA!

I have one, but not willing to let it go at this point.  If that changes, I'll try to keep you in mind.

• timsimmons changed the title to Official Record Store Day Thread