Official Record Store Day Thread

Thing is, will online sales be good or bad for people trying to get what they want? Will the tech savvy flippers have an easier time snatching things up now? Will the slobs who crawl out of their hovels on RSD have the acumen to engage in such things as bots? It may be wise to hit up the usual purveyors of online sales and encourage them to put precautions in place.

So, it appears there was a since-deleted tweet that said the whole event was being moved to June 20:

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/record_store_day_2020_is_about_to_be_postponed

Also found a reference to it here;

http://www.noise11.com/news/record-store-day-2020-postponed-until-june-20200313

42 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

I don’t want to be an alarmist but am I the only one that thinks June 20 is optimistic?

I'm surprised they didn’t just postpone until “summer” without giving a specific date yet.

I think even the most pessimistic projections have June as OK

43 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I think even the most pessimistic projections have June as OK

I don’t know about that: E3 was cancelled and it’s June 9-11.  Apple moved their June developer’s conference to online only. A lot of Gay Pride events which traditionally take place in June have been cancelled or postponed. 

I think it’s just a matter of being so far out that organizers of May/June events are taking a wait-and-see approach for now, but it seems weird to me to go to the effort of postponing something in April only to move it two months later. Again, most of the stuff I’ve seen postponed (rather than flat out cancelled)  is up in the air in terms of rescheduling.

(Though I guess much later than June and it would practically overlap with Black Friday...)

Edited by unknown pleasures

• 5 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, erikness said:

Crazy how much has changed since the last posts itt.

RSD will probably be postponed again, right? Or will ultimately be an online thing this year.. Can't see record stores opening back up for huge crowds/lines in June.

I just want my copy of Nativity in Black!!

I thought June was optimistic back then and I don’t feel any better about it now.

I think we’re looking at online RSD this year whether they want to or not, another delay seems unlikely. 

14 minutes ago, erikness said:

Crazy how much has changed since the last posts itt.

RSD will probably be postponed again, right? Or will ultimately be an online thing this year.. Can't see record stores opening back up for huge crowds/lines in June.

I just want my copy of Nativity in Black!!

I agree. If it's moved online that's totally understandable, so long as I can still get the hand poured Let It Bleed 😋

Edited by zackdumbass

• timsimmons changed the title to Official Record Store Day Thread
  • jhulud pinned this topic