New Bright Eyes Album 2020

58 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

Haha. I'm not worked up and it doesn't matter how many will be pressed. They're under the assumption it will sell out (regardless of pressings) so their plan will prevent someone from getting one. Only under their assumption and context. I agree with you in that I don't think anyone here will have a problem getting one but they are saying I want to make sure I get one even if that prevents someone else from getting one that is able to order before me.

I appreciate your perspective. I disagree with all of it. I don't really care about someone else missing out. I care about me missing out. I don't think there will be an insanely limited one, but JUST IN  CASE I want to double down. I don't really see a problem having a friend order for me if I'm at work. Nor should you. It'd be different if we were skirting household limits to resell. Either way, you can disagree. Doesn't matter to me. I'll have a copy.

Edited by Fowty Dollaz

Just now, Fowty Dollaz said:

I appreciate your perspective. I disagree with all of it. I don't really care about someone else missing out. I care about me missing out. I don't think there will be an insanely limited one, but JUST IN  CASE I want to double down. I don't really see a problem having a friend order for me if I'm at work. Nor should you. It's be different if we were skirting household limits to resell. Either way, you can disagree. Doesn't matter to me. I'll have a copy.

Both of you ordering two is very different than one of you ordering for both. 

To me it's like people that go to a place where you have to order before you get a table but they put their jacket on a table anyway. Or people that park in a no parking spot because they're "going to be quick". Or people that stand in a parking spot to hold it. It's just all social structure that most of us subscribe to but a few people feel entitled. As George Costanza says "we're living in a society!"

I say order when you can order and let the chips fall where they fall.  All I was ever saying was that , in your words (I don't really care about someone else missing out. I care about me missing out) was the mentality of teaming up to order and I think that's lame. I don't think you're lame... but that is.

25 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

Both of you ordering two is very different than one of you ordering for both. 

To me it's like people that go to a place where you have to order before you get a table but they put their jacket on a table anyway. Or people that park in a no parking spot because they're "going to be quick". Or people that stand in a parking spot to hold it. It's just all social structure that most of us subscribe to but a few people feel entitled. As George Costanza says "we're living in a society!"

I say order when you can order and let the chips fall where they fall.  All I was ever saying was that , in your words (I don't really care about someone else missing out. I care about me missing out) was the mentality of teaming up to order and I think that's lame. I don't think you're lame... but that is.

A few things and then I'm done. Again I appreciate your perspective and analogies. It's a fair perspective. However, I could care less about parking or eating first. I actually care about collecting records. I imagine most of us here do.

We come on here and share knowledge, rumors, and discussion...about music and records. I have to assume that you will order when you can and that's fine, but IF there is some limited variant I miss, I'll just end up spending all my chips on it via the bay. I'd rather not. However, if I had some way to order before the public and could share access, folks would come out of lurking to pm me for a link. It's the nature of all this. 

Imagine that I like Spider-Man comics instead,and couldn't get the limited cover variant first thing on Wednesday, but my pal Anthony was off and going to pick up some comics anyway. It'd be no different if he bought us both one. Is that just as wrong? Was I wrong to buy tickets to BEs in NY before general onsale because Spotify sent me access?

I think everyone here, who collects records, cares more about if they get what they want over a stranger or some other user here. If it is limited to one per hh, Veggie will order for him/her/them self/ves. That's fine. Same here. I just don't see the harm in trying. Worst case I end up with 2 bundles of junk and sell one at cost to someone who was busy working or sleeping or completely oblivious. If that's the case, you want dibs? Or would that be wrong?

17 minutes ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

A few things and then I'm done. Again I appreciate your perspective and analogies. It's a fair perspective. However, I could care less about parking or eating first. I actually care about collecting records. I imagine most of us here do.

We come on here and share knowledge, rumors, and discussion...about music and records. I have to assume that you will order when you can and that's fine, but IF there is some limited variant I miss, I'll just end up spending all my chips on it via the bay. I'd rather not. However, if I had some way to order before the public and could share access, folks would come out of lurking to pm me for a link. It's the nature of all this. 

Imagine that I like Spider-Man comics instead,and couldn't get the limited cover variant first thing on Wednesday, but my pal Anthony was off and going to pick up some comics anyway. It'd be no different if he bought us both one. Is that just as wrong? Was I wrong to buy tickets to BEs in NY before general onsale because Spotify sent me access?

I think everyone here, who collects records, cares more about if they get what they want over a stranger or some other user here. If it is limited to one per hh, Veggie will order for him/her/them self/ves. That's fine. Same here. I just don't see the harm in trying. Worst case I end up with 2 bundles of junk and sell one at cost to someone who was busy working or sleeping or completely oblivious. If that's the case, you want dibs? Or would that be wrong?

Again, Anthony buying a comic for you because you can't is very different than both of you buying two and then just figuring out what to do with the extras later. As far as the spotify example, I don't follow the logic of how that applies here. I appreciate you explaining your perspective but it's still selfish. And if you or Anthony didn't get a comic because people bought more than they needed, I'm sure you'd see my point.

13 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

Again, Anthony buying a comic for you because you can't is very different than both of you buying two and then just figuring out what to do with the extras later. As far as the spotify example, I don't follow the logic of how that applies here. I appreciate you explaining your perspective but it's still selfish. And if you or Anthony didn't get a comic because people bought more than they needed, I'm sure you'd see my point.

I don't think you understand. The goal is NOT to buy 4. It's just an accident if that happens. If I buy 2, I'll tell Veggie. Vice versa.

And I know the feeling of missing out. Hence the plan. 

Spotify: I bought tickets before most people knew they were available. Some people don't use Spotify or even understand presales and general on sale.

It is selfish, but buying records isn't a selfless thing. Spending that money on feeding homeless people would be. 

Anyway, if we know presale date and time, if it's just a standard release, etc. ahead of time none of this will even matter. 

Have a great evening! 

2 hours ago, deftbarley said:

Chill, nerd.  Everyone who wants a copy will have the opportunity to purchase one.

2 hours ago, deftbarley said:

What a headache of a thread.

I agreed to be a part of said "group" of helpers, with the assumption that it'd only be 2-4 people max helping. And I also assumed whatever "extra" records are ordered could just be cancelled and then therefore re-stocked for other people to get. Absolutely nothing wrong with this. Also you're new around here it seems, but people are just trying to help out fellow vinyl collectors on here typically.

Edited by corey.

Just now, corey. said:

What a headache of a thread.

I agreed to be a part of said "group" of helpers, with the assumption that it'd only be 2-3 people max helping. And I also assumed whatever "extra" records are ordered could just be cancelled and then therefore re-stocked for other people to get. Absolutely nothing wrong with this. Also you're new around here it seems, but people are just trying to help out fellow vinyl collectors on here typically.

That's cool. I just think helping out fellow vinyl collectors means not buying more than you need to just cancel. I think it's in poor taste. I'm not calling anyone a terrible person. It's just a fact that when you do this on variants that are super limited (not the case here, not sure why people are teaming up for this) you take stock from other people who just want one copy. Even when it's canceled. The odds of getting a couple restocks are way worse than getting one on pre-order day.

15 minutes ago, anchorclose said:

Chill, nerd.  Everyone who wants a copy will have the opportunity to purchase one.

Yeah, I'm not the one worried about getting one before they sell out. 

15 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

That's cool. I just think helping out fellow vinyl collectors means not buying more than you need to just cancel. I think it's in poor taste. I'm not calling anyone a terrible person. It's just a fact that when you do this on variants that are super limited (not the case here, not sure why people are teaming up for this) you take stock from other people who just want one copy. Even when it's canceled. The odds of getting a couple restocks are way worse than getting one on pre-order day.

Yeah, I'm not the one worried about getting one before they sell out. 

I'm not really that concerned about missing out on something, I don't think anyone here is taking it as serious as you, but I'm down to help on the off chance that there is. And okay, so the cancelling of an order isn't okay, then I'd just say that they'll be sold to someone worthy of receiving a copy who missed out (when this never actually happens)

I just thought I could help some people on here since I have a friend who is working on this release and will give me a heads up on the pre-order drops, I never assumed multiple copies would truly be ordered. Maybe you should just worry about yourself though lol.

Edited by corey.

13 minutes ago, corey. said:

I'm not really that concerned about missing out on something, I don't think anyone here is taking it as serious as you, but I'm down to help on the off chance that there is. And okay, so the cancelling of an order isn't okay, then I'd just say that they'll be sold to someone worthy of receiving a copy who missed out (when this never actually happens)

I just thought I could help some people on here since I have a friend who is working on this release and will give me a heads up on the pre-order drops, I never assumed multiple copies would truly be ordered. Maybe you should just worry about yourself though lol.

1 minute ago, corey. said:

That's literally what I just said if you can see past the sarcasm.

I have no idea what you're saying. You're making a plan to team up on a record pre-order that doesn't even have a release date but you're telling me to chill because everyone will get one. And you called me a nerd!

2 hours ago, corey. said:

I never called you a nerd (or anything else)

Oh yeah. Apologies for the accusation. I'll try to swing this back to the topic. 

I'm from Indiana too. I live in Los Angeles now but did you go to the bright eyes show back in 2005 at the IU auditorium when David Dondero opened? It was great!

20 hours ago, deftbarley said:

Oh yeah. Apologies for the accusation. I'll try to swing this back to the topic. 

I'm from Indiana too. I live in Los Angeles now but did you go to the bright eyes show back in 2005 at the IU auditorium when David Dondero opened? It was great!

Yeah I was at that show with David Dondero. Definitely incredible

• 3 weeks later...