New Bright Eyes Album 2020

The shades of blue do work with the cover art but are making it super hard to tell what one I ordered lol. I grabbed the US Secretly one which I think I'll sell, just needed the bundle. I also grabbed a German variant from HHV which is the last color and digging it, but think I like the Newburry shade of coke clear slightly better.

9 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

The shades of blue do work with the cover art but are making it super hard to tell what one I ordered lol. I grabbed the US Secretly one which I think I'll sell, just needed the bundle. I also grabbed a German variant from HHV which is the last color and digging it, but think I like the Newburry shade of coke clear slightly better.

Yeah this is prime "mockups may not match actual products" 

Stoked for my arrivals: bundle, Euro for signed cover + CD, Secretly Society, Newbury, and black.

Also awaiting 2 Mariana Trench paintings.

I guess all that money I got back from tickets went right back to em.

11 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

I like the Newburry shade of coke clear slightly better.

Newbury’s really caught my eye, too, as I was thumbing through those photos above... but I think a big part of it is the background that they’re taking the photos against.  I believe Newbury’s edition is a basic clear that looks much nicer and “coke bottle” esque in that photo vs. reality, just for what it’s worth.  Could be wrong but Newbury seldom deviates from the descriptions or mockups they advertise, and they’re pretty good at spelling out when there’s a shade of color in their translucent variants.  Food for thought.

35 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Newbury’s really caught my eye, too, as I was thumbing through those photos above... but I think a big part of it is the background that they’re taking the photos against.  I believe Newbury’s edition is a basic clear that looks much nicer and “coke bottle” esque in that photo vs. reality, just for what it’s worth.  Could be wrong but Newbury seldom deviates from the descriptions or mockups they advertise, and they’re pretty good at spelling out when there’s a shade of color in their translucent variants.  Food for thought.

I kinda hated NC version when I thought it was white, but clear is neat. Kinda hoping that Euro version I ordered ends up being blue

I still can't decide on a variant, there's too many of them. I feel so weird having not PO'd this yet, but also, there's just so many variants still available that it doesn't feel like the usual mad rush to get the one I want before its gone. I'm sure I've missed out on plenty of the variant combos by now, but it's a weird feeling. 

17 minutes ago, rooks said:

I still can't decide on a variant, there's too many of them. I feel so weird having not PO'd this yet, but also, there's just so many variants still available that it doesn't feel like the usual mad rush to get the one I want before its gone. I'm sure I've missed out on plenty of the variant combos by now, but it's a weird feeling. 

at this point you're probably better off just picking up the indie exclusive on Friday at your local shop! That's what I usually do when I have an indifference to all the variants available haha

Just now, drewberinger said:

at this point you're probably better off just picking up the indie exclusive on Friday at your local shop! That's what I usually do when I have an indifference to all the variants available haha

Yeah, for sure. Which is cool! Too many times I've been hit with that HOBBYist buyer's remorse after a trip to a local shop coming home to add things to the Discogs collection and see I could have just bought a prettier/rarer/more colorful variant online for the same price.  Would be cool to one day post-quarantine see this in a shop and be happy with the variant haha.

Honest fan review:

I took all this in just now, liners, lyrics, art, and even bonus 7".

Packaging: would've loved a gatefold with die cut, and that's my only complaint. More of a preference, even.

It's good. There is no denying that. If you like Cassadaga and/ or The People's Key, this album will stand strong for you. There really are mild callbacks to older albums, especially in the lyrics.

TPK is probably one of my favorite BEs LPs, probably due to life experiences, and this will more than likely follow closely especially because of oddly specific relatable content (recently dead brothers and the like), but I'd argue the album as a whole is largely vague enough to be prophetic (as is not uncommon in later Bright Eyes albums) and even specific enough (to me) to be eerie. Overall, as a huge fan who has waited a long time to hear this: on first listen 8.5/ 10. 

+Bonus points because the LPs sounded really clean. I usually only get listening time at night, so I have $120 headphones to really listen. They are usually really good at bringing out noise, clicks, and pops 🙄 However, these LPs were very quiet despite side C being a little warp-y.

The 45, on the other hand, was a little more noisy. It's like if 45 were turned into a 45: orange, obnoxiously loud where it needn't be, and covered in blood.