New Bright Eyes Album 2020

20 hours ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Honest fan review:

I took all this in just now, liners, lyrics, art, and even bonus 7".

Packaging: would've loved a gatefold with die cut, and that's my only complaint. More of a preference, even.

It's good. There is no denying that. If you like Cassadaga and/ or The People's Key, this album will stand strong for you. There really are mild callbacks to older albums, especially in the lyrics.

TPK is probably one of my favorite BEs LPs, probably due to life experiences, and this will more than likely follow closely especially because of oddly specific relatable content (recently dead brothers and the like), but I'd argue the album as a whole is largely vague enough to be prophetic (as is not uncommon in later Bright Eyes albums) and even specific enough (to me) to be eerie. Overall, as a huge fan who has waited a long time to hear this: on first listen 8.5/ 10. 

+Bonus points because the LPs sounded really clean. I usually only get listening time at night, so I have $120 headphones to really listen. They are usually really good at bringing out noise, clicks, and pops 🙄 However, these LPs were very quiet despite side C being a little warp-y.

The 45, on the other hand, was a little more noisy. It's like if 45 were turned into a 45: orange, obnoxiously loud where it needn't be, and covered in blood. 

bonus 7"? Was that advertised somewhere?

It's good, but it's a little long and meandering. The beginning of the album is especially a slow start, imo.

One and Done is head and shoulders above the rest of the album for me, maybe Hot Car in the Sun is up there too.

I think it'll grow on me. I knew it could never be QUITE like old Bright Eyes, but it's nice that it's not another People's Key/Cassadaga

Edited by rooks

1 minute ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

I thought it was a lot like both, but in a GOOD way. 🤷

I like both, but I didn't think it was a rare opinion that they both don't sound like the majority/rest of Bright Eyes' discography. I like them both for what they are, but I guess I'm just glad it's not 100% midwest/country vibes.  I actually like Cassadaga more than People's Key, even though it's more of departure from the "Bright Eyes" sound as I identify with it -- I just think for a guy with so many side projects/bands it could have been released under a different moniker.

@rooks oh I see. Yeah, totally agree with liking the musically non thematic aspect. It's kind of all over. Also it does kind of have a theme of being big, in my opinion, but I guess not universally throughout. 

I do like it. Not as much as I'd hoped but People's Key took awhile to really settle in and is one of my favorites now.

12 hours ago, kas1985 said:

Expound. 

I ordered the STAR from the bright eyes bundle..

and I almost deleted the email but it's like...

"The star coordinated at RA 19h36m13. ---' dec 11.06 mag is now registered in the Online Star Register as Kristian S.. Attached are all the PDF-documents that are part of your Online Star Gift.

- Personalized star certificate
- Personalized letter
- OSR code explanation sheet
- Personal message

Enjoy your star gift!"

24 minutes ago, mizzle said:

The album is really good. Calais to Dover, fuck.

That song was really good, and Hot Car In the Sun really stood out on first listen. PNG and Mariana Trench are both growing on me more too. I gotta spend some more time with it. Kids make everything more difficult. 

19 hours ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

That song was really good, and Hot Car In the Sun really stood out on first listen. PNG and Mariana Trench are both growing on me more too. I gotta spend some more time with it. Kids make everything more difficult. 

Minus the kids, I agree with everything here! Hot Car in the Sun felt like the most classic Bright Eyes to me and along with Stairwell Song it stood out on the first listen. 

Someone else up there mentioned that the first half of the album is especially slow, and I would also agree. The album takes a while to pick up, and I think it does once Tilt-a-Whirl starts.