Discogs complaint..

Alright, I've been thinning out my collection on Discogs for around 4 months or so, and up until about a week ago everything was great. I had it set up to receive payments via Discogs payment and Paypal. Apparently, once you've sold a certain dollar amount worth of records Discogs puts a hold on your payout through their payment system and requires you to upload a copy of your bank statement showing your full account number or a voided check. The statements I get from my bank don't have my full number on there and I don't have any checks, so I decide just to cancel the orders I have on there where the buyers have paid with Discogs payment and tell them to re-purchase through PayPal. All good right? Wrong. Apparently me cancelling the orders does not refund the buyer. So now I don't have the money they've sent and they haven't been refunded either and it's a huge headache. And discogs has no support chat whatsoever, just an email system that usually takes at least a day. Just thought I'd vent about it.

Edited by diabretic
spelling errors.

I constantly get those notifications that encourage me to set up my Discogs payments, going on and on about how people are more likely to buy, etc. I haven't yet out of pure laziness - now I'm glad I didn't.

However, checks are pretty easy to get. I have checks solely to pay the rent, I don't use them for anything else, so one book lasts me a long time. Shouldn't take longer than a week or so to acquire them.

Would they accept an online printout or something?

1 hour ago, crossedoutname said:

Wow that sucks, I just started selling through discogs and was contemplating using  that.  

Also discogs also charges just a little more for creating shipping labels through their site over PayPal, but still directs you to PayPal to pay for the shipping label

I noticed that too! It’s .30 more for the Discogs media mail label than it is through PayPal. And I will keep you guys updated for sure, it’s just frustrating all around! The guys mad because he’s out 40 bucks and doesn’t have a record to show for it, and I don’t have his 40 bucks to give him. All around shit show. 

1 minute ago, HoneyFrosted said:

I constantly get those notifications that encourage me to set up my Discogs payments, going on and on about how people are more likely to buy, etc. I haven't yet out of pure laziness - now I'm glad I didn't.

However, checks are pretty easy to get. I have checks solely to pay the rent, I don't use them for anything else, so one book lasts me a long time. Shouldn't take longer than a week or so to acquire them.

Would they accept an online printout or something?

The online one is the one I have that only shows the last 4 of the account. I could get checks, but I feel like if they needed this from me shouldn’t they have asked for it up front? I dunno. 

Just now, diabretic said:

The online one is the one I have that only shows the last 4 of the account. I could get checks, but I feel like if they needed this from me shouldn’t they have asked for it up front? I dunno. 

Yeah, not a fan of those shadow policies that suddenly come into effect. I know Paypal does that sorta thing. For newer labels just putting out first product thru Bandcamp or whatever, if they make a certain amount of money in a short time like that, they just freeze your funds until things are reviewed and accounted for, or something like that. Meaning you can't accept money for the product, and any money you have collected is unusable until they decide to free them up, so if it's a preorder (you need the money to make the thing) it just jams up the whole process for weeks or months. I suppose it's to stop shady or criminal behavior, but it looks like 95% of the time it's just a huge headache for people attempting to do legitimate business.

I'm surprised Discogs, being the company it is now, doesn't have a man on deck at all times to fix these financial issues. Or like, a phone number. Especially after rolling out some shiny new payment method. I'm sure you're not the only one who's had an issue like this. Sorry bro.