:::blank stare::: I need help with my setup.

Hey guys.  I'm hoping some of you with more expert knowledge can help me out here.  I feel so in-over-my-head, and my own research isn't helping. 

Here's what's up - I've recently come into some donated gear:  JBL Control SB-2 subwoofer, and a Yamaha RX-V573 receiver.  Both in great shape.  People didn't need them anymore, so I said sure. 

Now, I'm doing my reading and looking at the inputs and control panels....  are these two items compatible for a system?  I'm trying to upgrade over my Logitech setup that's been getting me by while I was in school.  Now I'm done, and ready to throw down.  I just feel stupid here.  I don't know how to integrate these, if I even can.  I'm looking into bookshelf speakers, but I also know nothing there.  Recommendations appreciated. 

I listen mostly to post-rock and Pink Floyd on my vinyl, in case that helps anything. 

1 minute ago, AGB said:

whats your logitech ?? what record player are you using??

I have a Stanton T62 that I've been running for about a decade, and the speaker system is a Logitech X530.  It was working beautifully, and actually sounded really good, but has developed a ground loop hum that I am at a loss for solving.  Checked grounds, new outlets, switching outlets, recoiling cables....  can't seem to get rid of it. 

so short of it is... the receiver wont have enough grunt to power the sub ... imo id sell the sub and buy a small powered woofer...

simply it would go Stanton > Preamp > Yamaha RX-V573 > Sub out and Speaker Out ... as for bookshelves .. look at something around the 100w mark for the reciever  like NS-333B or similar ... 

11 minutes ago, AGB said:

so short of it is... the receiver wont have enough grunt to power the sub ... imo id sell the sub and buy a small powered woofer...

simply it would go Stanton > Preamp > Yamaha RX-V573 > Sub out and Speaker Out ... as for bookshelves .. look at something around the 100w mark for the reciever  like NS-333B or similar ... 

Brilliant, thanks man.  There's a store around here where maybe i can trade for some speakers.  I was confused because the Yamaha simply has one sub out jack, but the JBL has stereo ins and outs.  It was in a middle school gym, but they don't use it anymore so they gave it to me haha.  Big big system they had in there. 

Any suggestions on powered subs? 

Also.....  this means that the Yamaha has a built-in crossover, correct?

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Brilliant, thanks man.  There's a store around here where maybe i can trade for some speakers.  I was confused because the Yamaha simply has one sub out jack, but the JBL has stereo ins and outs.  It was in a middle school gym, but they don't use it anymore so they gave it to me haha.  Big big system they had in there. 

Any suggestions on powered subs? 

Also.....  this means that the Yamaha has a built-in crossover, correct?

the little NS-SW050B is a nice powered sub... or similar... but its all down to taste .. i use an 8" and listen to a LOT of rock .. i found the 10" was way too heavy and drowned out my speakers... but have a listen and trust your ears :)

yeh that jbl is a PA sub.. you would need a big amp to run... 

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest focusing on getting the best speakers you can get, then add a suitable sub down the line. Just see what's available used in your area, if you can listen before buying all the better. You can also research individual makes and models of speakers once you have an idea of what's available. And in general I would say the most important thing to look for in speakers is solid cabinet construction and high quality speaker and crossover components. It matters much less how many drivers the speaker has, or how big it is. It's easy to think bigger woofers and multiple drivers will sound bigger and better, but that's often not the case. Also, since you're using a receiver and won't have a ton of power I'd also look for speakers with higher efficiency, those will be easier to drive and will sound better. 

If you're ready to "throw down", save up and get a good set up. What's your budget? Let's just say it's $1000. 

(Also, I remember doing this years ago, but here we go again with updated stuff.)

Turntables:

AT LP120 w/ AT-VM95E | $250

Orbit Basic w/ Grado Blue Red w/ Cue | $274

Orbit Basic w/ Ortofon 2M Red w/ Cue | $294

Music Hall MMF 1.3 w/ AT3600L | $295
Orbit Basic w/ Ortofon 2M Blue w/ Cue | $430

* Don't skimp on the cart.

Preamps:

Pro-Ject Phono Box | MM | $79.99

Pluto Preamp | MM | $89.99

Pro-ject Phono Box DC | MM & MC | $99.99

Schitt Mani | MM & MC | $129.99

(If you want to get one) Amps:

Audioengine N22 | 22w x 2 | $199

Cambridge Audio AXA35 | 35w x 2 | $349

Yamaha A-S301 | 60w x 2 | $349

Speakers:

Jamos S 803 | $228.99

Q Acoustics 3020 | $229.99

Klipsch R-41M | $229.00

Audioengine P4 | $249.99

Klipsch R-51M | $289.00

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 | $359.99

Klipsch RP-500M | $383.99

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 | $499.99

*Spend a good chunk of your budget here.

I would highly suggest you go to a hi-fi shop the listen to speakers. I started with cheap Polks, and eventually wanted to upgrade. I went to the shop having a leaning towards Klipsch. I brought a handful of records of various genres, played them, and the Def Techs easily won me over. They could have everything I listened to and sounded great. Klipsch were great, but more so in the rock area. I'd say cart and speakers play the biggest part. Just don't get a crap table with a crap cart. Spend around $250-300 to get a solid table, with a solid cart, and upgrade the cart after you wear that first one out. That Staton is a budget DJ table. Take all the move you've saved using that for a decade and invest in a nice table. All those nice post rock records you have deserve it. I know you've spent $80 or more on a single record. You can, and should, focus more of that money into the table. Just some advice. 

I have upgraded my table once, my cart three times (every time once has spun its life, I upgrade to the next tier), my amp three times (mostly due to technology changing and doing home theater - I still have one of them as a back up), my speakers once (and added the Klipsch towers as home theater), and never my pre amp, over about 10 years. 

You can always do open box, search used online / in store, etc. and pinch  a few more pennies. 

But seriously, for speakers, go listen in person. Don't blind buy or go just on reviews. One person loving it for their taste doesn't mean you will. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

3 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

If you're ready to "throw down", save up and get a good set up. What's your budget? Let's just say it's $1000. 

(Also, I remember doing this years ago, but here we go again with updated stuff.)

Turntables:

AT LP120 w/ AT-VM95E | $250

Orbit Basic w/ Grado Blue Red w/ Cue | $274

Orbit Basic w/ Ortofon 2M Red w/ Cue | $294

Music Hall MMF 1.3 w/ AT3600L | $295
Orbit Basic w/ Ortofon 2M Blue w/ Cue | $430

* Don't skimp on the cart.

Preamps:

Pro-Ject Phono Box | MM | $79.99

Pluto Preamp | MM | $89.99

Pro-ject Phono Box DC | MM & MC | $99.99

Schitt Mani | MM & MC | $129.99

(If you want to get one) Amps:

Audioengine N22 | 22w x 2 | $199

Cambridge Audio AXA35 | 35w x 2 | $349

Yamaha A-S301 | 60w x 2 | $349

Speakers:

Jamos S 803 | $228.99

Q Acoustics 3020 | $229.99

Klipsch R-41M | $229.00

Audioengine P4 | $249.99

Klipsch R-51M | $289.00

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 | $359.99

Klipsch RP-500M | $383.99

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 | $499.99

*Spend a good chunk of your budget here.

I would highly suggest you go to a hi-fi shop the listen to speakers. I started with cheap Polks, and eventually wanted to upgrade. I went to the shop having a leaning towards Klipsch. I brought a handful of records of various genres, played them, and the Def Techs easily won me over. They could have everything I listened to and sounded great. Klipsch were great, but more so in the rock area. I'd say cart and speakers play the biggest part. Just don't get a crap table with a crap cart. Spend around $250-300 to get a solid table, with a solid cart, and upgrade the cart after you wear that first one out. That Staton is a budget DJ table. Take all the move you've saved using that for a decade and invest in a nice table. All those nice post rock records you have deserve it. I know you've spent $80 or more on a single record. You can, and should, focus more of that money into the table. Just some advice. 

I have upgraded my table once, my cart three times (every time once has spun its life, I upgrade to the next tier), my amp three times (mostly due to technology changing and doing home theater - I still have one of them as a back up), my speakers once (and added the Klipsch towers as home theater), and never my pre amp, over about 10 years. 

You can always do open box, search used online / in store, etc. and pinch  a few more pennies. 

But seriously, for speakers, go listen in person. Don't blind buy or go just on reviews. One person loving it for their taste doesn't mean you will. 

Yeah thanks, there's just so many options it feels overwhelming.  Done a lot of cart research and I actually liked the Nagaoki MP110 over the Ortofons. 

no clue what to get table-wise.  I have a BBE preamp, had it for years but may give it to my girlfriend so we can get a 2nd table going at her place. 

What about subwoofers? 

As far as amp goes, I have my buddy's Yamaha V573.  Works fine, and is quiet.  Seems to do the trick, I hooked it up to some junky old speakers today to try and make sure it'd be good. 

$1000 is probably doable; would have done this sooner but my band keeps getting busier and busier with bigger gigs and my amp went out so I threw $4 into a new guitar/pickups/pedals/custom amp to handle all the gigging we are doing.  Def worth it, but.... that left nothing now for the vinyl.  Once that's paid down though, I will have some room on my 0% interest credit card which I have until February ;)