Pro Ject Debut Carbon DC versus vintage turntable

dgroce

I currently have a Pioneer 750 receiver and Pioneer PL 100 turntable. The TT has a fairly new Grado stylus. I also have Infinity bookshelf speakers set up on stands. They produce a great sound especially the bass.

I've been reading about the Pro Ject Debut Carbon Esprit turntable. Would this provide a richer sound than the Pioneer, especially the high and low ends? Would it do this with my current receiver?

Not to say I am an expert, but I can't imagine it is going to be a huge upgrade - given that the Debut Carbon Esprit is a little bit above the good entry level turntables in Pro-Jects line. If I were you I would want to wait and do a bit of a bigger upgrade if you are set on upgrading your turntable. For example I had a Debut Carbon (non-Esprit), and waited until I could upgrade to a Rega Planar 6 (w/Rega Exact) and I am suuuuuper happy with it after a year and a half.

20 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

I for one would stay clear of Pro-ject turntables.

Especially the lower end units that STILL have motor issues that Pro-ject refuses to acknowledge.

I for one have enjoyed my Pro-ject turntable for 5 years with zero issues. Has sounded great from day one. 

I'd personally go for the esprit it's much better than a PL 100. If I was going to go Rega I would not spring for anything less than a P3 (ideally a P6 but would also consider marantz and clearaudio if spending in the $1200-2000 range). I've had mine for about 5 years, Only repair needed was a reoiling of the motor just in the last 6 months and that is with an average of 2 to 3 hours a day of play. Other than stylus replacement over time of course. I would agree with vinyl addict they do have cheap motors but it still outclasses other tables in that price point and with the built in speed box makes playing 45 rpm records less of a pain and is as speed accurate as a direct drive. We have a tachometer at work and it was within .01% accuracy