Apollo/Transco Lacquer Production Facility Burns Down

a lot of labels set test press deadlines for December for RSD (smart)

this is a MASSIVE blow to anything new. While DMM is safe, there are only a few places that do it (and none in the US, in fact the only 2 DMM lathes in the US are owned by the church of scientology). What is going to happen is the few DMM capable places -- the big one being GZ in the Czech Republic-- will be the go to for everyone. So not only will we see fewer new releases but the majors will back them up with their larger orders. In the meantime, most of the smaller plants esp. in the US are going to take a massive hit. 

This is not good for any aspect of the music industry.

I’ve been assuming “the whispers” of another party entering the lacquer making game that TMRs Blackwell said in the p4k story is such a typical TMR way of saying TMR is looking into it. 

and it makes sense. If a business has 98% of the marketplace, there’s plenty of room for someone else to come in and take some of that market share. Jack White, while unconventional, has been pretty good in the records business.

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

I’ve been assuming “the whispers” of another party entering the lacquer making game that TMRs Blackwell said in the p4k story is such a typical TMR way of saying TMR is looking into it. 

and it makes sense. If a business has 98% of the marketplace, there’s plenty of room for someone else to come in and take some of that market share. Jack White, while unconventional, has been pretty good in the records business.

It’ll take some time to get the process going (materials and facility, etc) but TMR has already established mastering and pressing, so it would be not a surprise they step up and take a leadership position in the industry.

Edited by MtrCtyWx
Facility, not faculty.

3 hours ago, 30SecondsOfFranchiseFame said:

Is there a place anywhere in South America that cuts lacquers?

I wonder if North American labels will do business with the Japanese plant? If I were based on the Pacific Coast, I would maybe see if the costs make sense.

the problem is, the Japanese lacquer plant (MDC) is not taking on any new clients, they said as much when this happened. So any cutters not already getting supplied by MDC and that were using Apollo are literally shit out of luck.  What Apollo was making (and MDC in Japan) is literally an insanely specialized thing that is the first step of ANY record getting made. This is really bad. 

The vinyl releases reddit page was funny when this broke. People were pissed that their current pre-orders weren't gonna happen and people were looking to cancel pre-orders in case they got ripped off. 

I would assume, outside of Frank Ocean pre-orders, most records have already been cut when orders go up. 

4 hours ago, pizza face said:

To think 3/4 month Pre-orders were bad, can't wait to see what it will be as a result of this event. At least my bank account will be happier 

i think you will find that a lot of newer releases do not come out on vinyl at release date for a bit. You may see CD/Digital with "vinyl at a later date". You also might see a lot of already released things coming out in NEW versions (since the lacquers wouldn't be needed if the plates still exist from prior pressings).  GZ is going to get slammed because it is common knowledge this doesn't effect them. So there are going to be longer lines in production there.