PO: New Found Glory- Forever and Ever x Infinity

Do people still like this band? Legitimately, no nostalgia? I will for sure still fuck with some early 2000s NFG but I tried to play this the other day and couldn’t make it through 4 songs. There are 15 or some odd songs on this, WHAT?!? Do they still have an army of fans in their tweens or early twenties? I’m being a bit condescending but mostly I’m just curious if an audience for this type

of generic pop punk still exists...

26 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Do people still like this band? Legitimately, no nostalgia? I will for sure still fuck with some early 2000s NFG but I tried to play this the other day and couldn’t make it through 4 songs. There are 15 or some odd songs on this, WHAT?!? Do they still have an army of fans in their tweens or early twenties? I’m being a bit condescending but mostly I’m just curious if an audience for this type

I’m 35, and I like all types of music(take a look at all the time and money I’ve wasted over the last 25 years by clicking the link below), and personally, I fuck with NFG and, probably, always will.  It’s weird. I can liken it to Blink. I’m from San Diego and one of the first “punk” records I bought in 1995 was Cheshire Cat. From then on, I’ve always loved them, everything they’ve put out. Yeah, fucked, right? NFG, for me, is the epitome of “if it ain’t broke...”. Is that problematic or strange when 40 year old dudes are still making pop punk music 20 years later? I don’t really know, or do I care. They’re doing something they’ve always done, and always done well. For me, “generic pop punk” is all of these bands from the last 10-15 years who start as something, change, go back(or whatever. You know the bands) and never really have or had anything. Nostalgia aside, NFG has been able to be a band that’s able to put out records for 20 years, people are stoked on it, and they still sell out 1k cap rooms, and I really respect and like that. Don’t mind me though, I spent all day drinking, none of this probably made any sense.

Edited by MyEnemy

2 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

I’m 35, and I like all types of music(take a look at all the time and money I’ve wasted over the last 25 years by clicking the link below), and personally, I fuck with NFG and, probably, always will.  It’s weird. I can liken it to Blink. I’m from San Diego and one of the first “punk” records I bought in 1995 was Cheshire Cat. From then on, I’ve always loved them, everything they’ve put out. Yeah, fucked, right? NFG, for me, is the epitome of “if it ain’t broke...”. Is that problematic or strange when 40 year old dudes are still making pop punk music 20 years later? I don’t really know, or do I care. They’re doing something they’ve always done, and always done well. For me, “generic pop punk” is all of these bands from the last 10-15 years who start as something, change, go back(or whatever. You know the bands) and never really have or had anything. Nostalgia aside, NFG has been able to be a band that’s able to put out records for 20 years, people are stoked on it, and they still sell out 1k cap rooms, and I really respect and like that. Don’t mind me though, I spent all day drinking, none of this probably made any sense.

I can subscribe to this. For me NFG broke me out of what could have been a very long nu metal phase in 2001. To me it’s 50 percent nostalgia and 50 percent truly enjoying the new stuff. 

2 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Summarizes me and my love of the band, as well. I will add I generally have to defend my ongoing love of pop-punk and bands like NFG to basically everyone around me. And now I gotta add @dantheriver to that list. THANKS DAN. 

I totally get people not understanding why anyone would be into pop punk or NFG for that matter in 2020. However for me, I grew up in Coral Springs, went to Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS and NFG was our hometown band. I grew up in the 2001 Springs pop punk scene and NFG was kinda always our champion. I still think it’s cool they tag Coral Springs on t-shirts and album covers even though they don’t live there anymore (with exception to Ian maybe). 

I’ll also echo the “It ain’t Broke Don’t fix it”. I can’t really fuck with new blink or any other 2020 pop punk really, but NFG still puts out records that would have been just as good if released in 2001. Resurrection and this new album are actually two of my more favorite releases they’ve put out over the last 20 years. Every time they’re in town I always go to the shows, get fuckin sweaty and feel like I’m 17 again. Except I’m a drunk 34 year old guy. Idk, who cares. I think it’s great, this world has enough negativity and this is one of those things that is really positive. 

12 hours ago, dantheriver said:

I thought some the singles were good, I made it 5-7 songs in and had to turn it off.    I liked the use of hardcore breakdowns, but those lyrics were just too cringy

At this point in time I'd almost prefer someone in the band came out and said something like "lyrics cheesy cuz album title, chill out we know" just so people could step back and enjoy the music for what it is. But I guess people listen more closely to pop punk lyrics than I do and it matters to them? 

Edited by mmhmm

14 hours ago, isavedlatin54 said:

I can subscribe to this. For me NFG broke me out of what could have been a very long nu metal phase in 2001. To me it’s 50 percent nostalgia and 50 percent truly enjoying the new stuff. 

I’m on board with the 50/50 train. I will listen to them when I’m feeling nostalgic but can also get down to this new album without a sense of irony. 

3 hours ago, mmhmm said:

At this point in time I'd almost prefer someone in the band came out and said something like "lyrics cheesy cuz album title, chill out we know" just so people could step back and enjoy the music for what it is. But I guess people listen more closely to pop punk lyrics than I do and it matters to them? 

Yeah I kinda expect the cheesy lyrics at this point. I mean it’s pop punk, what do you really expect. They’re 40. Just have fun with it