PO Now: The Strokes - The New Abnormal

the strokes are band I only know a couple songs by and I liked this 'at the door' single so much that I went through their singles to try to find some other songs I like by them and came up with a holy cow moment...

the song "you only live once" has the first 10 seconds the same as the song "in too deep" by sum 41.  seriously check it out here:

listen to the first 10 seconds of this:

and then the first 10 seconds of this:

boom!

Edited by gutterball1

6 hours ago, kjkenney said:

Listen to American Girl by Tom Petty and Last Night by The Strokes. Your mind will 'holy cow' in a beefier way. Also, two bands palm muting a section does not make them the same. K, thanks!

Nah, Sum 41 famously created the concept of palm muting in the intro to In Too Deep and everyone else that palm mutes anything is copying Sum 41.

On 2/16/2020 at 2:29 PM, lethalenforcer said:

spacer.png

On 2/16/2020 at 7:35 PM, kjkenney said:

Listen to American Girl by Tom Petty and Last Night by The Strokes. Your mind will 'holy cow' in a beefier way. Also, two bands palm muting a section does not make them the same. K, thanks!

On 2/17/2020 at 1:44 AM, burdenx said:

Nah, Sum 41 famously created the concept of palm muting in the intro to In Too Deep and everyone else that palm mutes anything is copying Sum 41.

not sure what any of you are talking about.  no need to take offense to my comment and not sure why you would.  point is that the first 10 seconds of each song are exactly the same (if you play them with your eyes closed you would not even know what one is playing until 10 secs in) and anyone with ears would agree. 

also...new song debuting at noon...

Edited by gutterball1

5 hours ago, gutterball1 said:

(if you play them with your eyes closed you would not even know what one is playing until 10 secs in)

It's more fun to be in a department store and hear on the radio what you think is the first 10 seconds of Stevie Nicks' Edge of Seventeen when it's really Destiny's Child's Bootylicious lol

Edited by wiscodeman
Forgot the apostrophe-S on Destiny oops

13 hours ago, chaz725 said:

Is it ironic the whole song comparison thing that just happened in here and their new song has the same hook as Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol?

Billy Idol &Tony James have writting credits on Bad Decisions so either it was intentional or they realised the similarity afterwards and credited them

On 2/12/2020 at 7:17 PM, hxcoliver said:

Oohh Im digging the song. But that album cover...damn what a hide sound cover. What is going on there. They should’ve used the artwork from the single instead 

sssooooooooo fucking excited for this new album 

On 2/12/2020 at 9:10 PM, Smellman said:

It's Bird on Money by Basquiat

On 2/12/2020 at 9:22 PM, corey. said:

And it's amazing. Tempted to buy it just for that

strokes use a lot of famous art pieces for their albums... I remember room on fire using a bunch too.  any others?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, nycmale said:

Overpriced but tempting for anyone looking for a deluxe edition of the new album on white vinyl. It should come signed by the band for this price 

https://shop.thestrokes.com/products/the-new-abnormal-deluxe-photo-book-digital-album

fck i really want that but $100 bucks is crazy and white vinyl is just ehhhh

4 hours ago, nycmale said:

Overpriced but tempting for anyone looking for a deluxe edition of the new album on white vinyl. It should come signed by the band for this price 

https://shop.thestrokes.com/products/the-new-abnormal-deluxe-photo-book-digital-album

1 hour ago, CVHX said:

fck i really want that but $100 bucks is crazy and white vinyl is just ehhhh

1 hour ago, nycmale said:

Same here. Probably a cool package. Wonder how many there are. 

51 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

You can get to the checkout pages with 9999 in your cart so I'm assuming this is essentially an open pre-order at the moment.

40 minutes ago, nycmale said:

Cool. Thanks for that. Maybe it will drop in price in time if they sit in the store for a while

or only $95 if you don't care about getting the digital download https://shop.thestrokes.com/collections/merch/products/the-new-abnormal-deluxe-photo-book?variant=33161400549508