PO Now: The Strokes - The New Abnormal

Local finally came through with a copy for pickup! This album is fantastic. The reviews where the first two albums are referenced are stupid, imo. They havent put out anything like ITI or ROF since..well 2003. The last decade of Strokes is it's own class, for better or worse depending on the listener. I personally loved Angles, and put it on more than most along with FIOE. CM had its moments, but lapsed a little for me. This album sounds so fresh and progressive for them and makes me excited for what could come. If people want to listen to ITI in 2020, go for it, but don't expect a band to put out the same shit when they are in their 40s now. 

26 minutes ago, kjkenney said:

but don't expect a band to put out the same shit when they are in their 40s now. 

Unfortunately it really does seem like there's always going to be a selection of any band's fanbase that will wish for "a return to form" 5+ albums deep into a discography, 2 or 3 decades later.  I still think ITI holds up well in 2020 but I can definitely respect the angles they took on this new one, and I'm finding myself enjoying it way more than I thought I would.  Everyone saying that it takes a couple of full plays to really "click" is right on the nose.

46 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Unfortunately it really does seem like there's always going to be a selection of any band's fanbase that will wish for "a return to form" 5+ albums deep into a discography, 2 or 3 decades later.  

Yeah definitely true. I will never understand the mentality I suppose 🤷‍♂️ some bands are lauded for progression in sound while others are immediately panned. 

• 2 weeks later...