Vinyl Collection Survey

hms1108

Hi Everyone, I am currently in my final year of my music business degree and I am looking at creating an app based around vinyl and vinyl collection.

In order to do this I have created a survey for market research based around Vinyl purchasing and collecting. 

It is only 2-3 minutes long and I would be grateful if anyone with a spare moment would be able to fill this in

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PBDKFP8

Thank you in advance 

5 hours ago, hms1108 said:

Hi Everyone, I am currently in my final year of my music business degree and I am looking at creating an app based around vinyl and vinyl collection.

In order to do this I have created a survey for market research based around Vinyl purchasing and collecting. 

It is only 2-3 minutes long and I would be grateful if anyone with a spare moment would be able to fill this in

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PBDKFP8

Thank you in advance 

Discogs has an app already, FYI

In a lot of cases these surveys are for hypothetical projects that are not intended to be developed (I can't speak for this one). When you do the survey you're helping someone graduate. As someone who had 3 internships and is finishing his master's this year I can assure you it's a big help if you have a couple minutes no matter what the topic is.

39 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

In a lot of cases these surveys are for hypothetical projects that are not intended to be developed (I can't speak for this one). When you do the survey you're helping someone graduate. As someone who had 3 internships and is finishing his master's this year I can assure you it's a big help if you have a couple minutes no matter what the topic is.

I'd be sympathetic if this forum wasn't already rife with discussion regarding this exact topic.  It's all there for them to find with the search function.

Edited by daegor

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Discogs has an app already, FYI

And it fucking blows. I downloaded it at launch and instantly deleted it. Much easier to use the site itself in most cases. 

If Discogs put a fraction of the millions of dollars they make annually into their app, it could be amazing. Someone like OP could easily come along and make a better one, but Discogs is the only company that has the pre-existing database & infrastructure. 

OP seems to be focused on an app that deals in new vinyl. and that's something people might find useful... if it works.

Give me an app that scrapes prices from all of the major retailers in real-time, utilizing price history (like camelcamelcamel) in order to sort by discounted price trends, in addition to the ability to apply discount codes (like the Honey extension), and I'd use the shit out of it.  

1 hour ago, N8TRU said:

I literally did this when I was getting my BS in Music Business. I had to "start a company" by writing out a full business proposal with fully fleshed out 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year and 3-5 year plans. I came to VC and asked people to take a survey as well. My paper was just over 80 pages, which was the longest thing I'd ever written, and it wasn't even for a real business. 

Also, who cares if Discogs "already has this." Just because there was one website to store your documents in the cloud, does that not mean that someone couldn't develop something to do it better? Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, Box, etc... they're all the same, but different. We all know that you don't just stop creating things because something already exists. 

Edited by Daniel Dopp

1 hour ago, cannonfunk said:

Give me an app that scrapes prices from all of the major retailers in real-time, utilizing price history (like camelcamelcamel) in order to sort by discounted price trends, in addition to the ability to apply discount codes (like the Honey extension), and I'd use the shit out of it.  

Not an app but there was some dude on here who developed a website that basically does what you’re asking, it was pretty slick. I’ll link it when I find it

found it

Edited by Tommy

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Not an app but there was some dude on here who developed a website that basically does what you’re asking, it was pretty slick. I’ll link it when I find it

found it

Thanks for the bump Tommy!

I'm still working on this in my free time. I use it a lot. It's also very handy to save a little list of records you're looking for while in brick and mortar stores. I've wanted to add a bunch more features but I've been mainly focusing on making sure the scrapers are staying up to date and showing relevant data. I have a long list of things I'd like to add to it. Open to making anything a priority if it's useful.

Also, just guessing if it was a member with any previous posts, people would be more likely to help. (You know unless he was me).

But coming in and posting only one post thats basically fill out this survey so I can graduate and then providing nothing additionally to community.

Get the fuck out.

18 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

There is an entire message board worth of information. Trying digging through old threads rather than having people do your work for you. 

It's not enough to simply dig through a message board for posts related to the topic (which in itself is not a simple task), it requires getting answers to a set of specific questions that are tailored to the right audience.  Having the ability to successfully conduct a market survey and then share the results of said survey is typically a requirement of these types of projects.

Telling OP to fuck off isn't going to stop other people from making these threads. It's also not going to encourage OP to want to contribute anything else to this message board. Next time you see a thread with "survey" in the title maybe just don't click on it.

Edited by ex lion tamer

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

I get that we’re all just passing time on the internet and all, and that it’s basically consequence free to be a dick to people, but this survey took less than a minute. I don’t see what the big deal is about this. 

But it's so cool to be a dick on the internet to a stranger looking for some help! 

Hi everyone. 

Just thought I would hop on to clarify a little bit. 

The app I am talking about is already in development and this survey, while also for my university project was also to do some general market research to find out what vinyl collectors would like from an app. 

Sorry that this is my first post and it is asking for something, I am relatively new to the world of vinyl collecting and wasn't aware of this collective until I began to do some deeper research into this. 

Thank you to everyone who has filled this in for me, hopefully once the app is fully developed I will be able to generally release it