PO NOW: ELDER - OMENS (out: 04/24/2020)

rickker

All the variants until now are:

- 180g grey w/ blue & gold splatter /???

- 180g transparent blue /???

- 180g black /???

https://armageddonlabel.bigcartel.com/product/elder-omens-2lp-w-download

- 180g bronze marbled (stickman exclusive) /???

- 180g azure marbled /???

https://www.stickman-records.com/shop/elder-omens/

- Gold & dark blue swirl /??? (Tee Pee/Outer Battery exclusive)

https://teepeerecords.com/products/elder-omens-2lp-gold-and-dark-blue-swirl-out-april-24th

https://www.outerbatteryrecords.com/products/elder-omens-2lp-gold-and-dark-blue-swirl-out-april-24th?_pos=5&_sid=1edb22b14&_ss=r

- Gold/light blue mix /300 (DW exclusive)

https://deathwishinc.com/collections/elder/products/elder-omens

https://deathwishinc.eu/products/elder-omens?_pos=1&_sid=2754d5fe8&_ss=r

- Black w/ blue & gold splatter /??? (Midheaven/Revolver USA exclusive)

https://www.midheaven.com/item/omens-by-elder

- Metallic gold in clear w/ blue splatter /250 (Newbury Comics exclusive)

https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/vinyl-new-releases/products/elder-omens_exclusive_2lp?variant=32003500376169

Edited by fizio59

Does anyone have a complete Elder collection?  What an onslaught of variants.

Not yet sure how I feel about the new single yet.  As much as I enjoy[ed] ROAFW, some of the vocal segments took me a while to get acquainted with.  The band is at their best when they spring into those lengthy jams, and I do suspect we’ll have no shortage of them on Omens.  Feel inclined to PO in good faith.

Edited by Derek™

5 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

not feeling that song at all

Not feeling it that much either. At least, the first part. Second (instrumental) half sounds good though. 

Also, what’s up with that Deathwish price? €37? Outrageous, compared to Stickman’s €20/22,50

Edited by Jim Steele

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Does anyone have a complete Elder collection?  Wha an onslaught of variants.

Not yet sure how I feel about the new single yet.  As much as I enjoy[ed] ROAFW, some of the vocal segments took me a while to get acquainted with.  The band is at their best when they spring into those lengthy jams, and I do suspect we’ll have no shortage of them on Omens.  Feel inclined to PO in good faith.

That would be pretty impressive to see.

And I'm a little mixed on it as well. The vocals threw me a bit. Maybe I just need to get used to them. The long instrumental parts are great though. Really good flow. 

19 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

The long instrumental parts are great though. Really good flow. 

It’s when they’re at their peak, right?  I wouldn’t hate it if they went full-on instrumental at some point.  I think the album will deliver, I’m not too worried.  That single isn’t a weird departure from the sound they’ve established and have working for them, in my opinion.

Only been listening to this band for the past few months but damn if you told me this was the same band I would not have believed it. The vocals are very loud in the mix compared to their other material. I still thoroughly enjoyed the single but I can see how any long time fans of these guys would be turned off.

Seems like a ton of variants, and seeing as almost every press of Reflections is still available through Armageddon's discogs, I'll probably wait out to see what variant turns out the best.  

20 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It’s when they’re at their peak, right?  I wouldn’t hate it if they went full-on instrumental at some point.  I think the album will deliver, I’m not too worried.  That single isn’t a weird departure from the sound they’ve established and have working for them, in my opinion.

Exactly. They are playing Richmond in May. Probably gonna have to go see them. And yah, it isn't so out of left field to where I'm worried about not liking the whole album. Agreed, I'm sure it will deliver. 

Yeah, this song felt weird to me. Felt like them getting burned out on writing the song and then plopping it out after a bunch scratch tracking and rewrites. There's nothing here that feels like a moment to me. Like most songs of theirs may seem to plod along for a while but I usually find that some melody or attack or some expression of the execution of the song feels like the "feature" of the song. That thing or things that generate excitement in the listening. This song just felt a little bit unsure of itself.  I'm hoping the rest is better. Nick's vocals feel like a drop in skill. There were a lot impressive, enthusiastic vocal passages on ROAFW and this vocal take seems to sprint in the opposite direction of that path.

Ordered at Stickman! Can't wait for the whole thing...

Mixed feelings about the song atm...enjoying the second half way more than the first! Nick sounds somewhat different...

Wouldn't have complained about a ROAFW pt.II; but loved their changing styles reg. their back catalogue! So, I'm pretty sure this one will grow!

Really like their previous albums, so I blind preordered, then listened to the single. Wow, those vocals are bad. I’m actually thinking about canceling, and I NEVER think about canceling.

the vocals sound like a bad vocal line from a 90’s indie/emo band. I was embarrassed listening to it, and kind of baffled thinking about it as I type this. The music is definitely more upbeat, again, think 90’s indie emo bad, which isn’t bad, but is getting further away from what I like these days. I get the need to change things up consciously or unconsciously, but this is not appealing to me.

Are these guys just at the forefront of the 90’s revival. Beating everyone to the punch? I mean the 80’s revival has mostly run its course (I hope), right? 

I’m perplexed by the disdain for the new single.  Feels like it takes a new angle for the first couple of minutes, and then falls right into place from what I’d expect to hear from Elder in 2020.  ROAFW is riddled with equally cheesy “90s” vocal moments, borderline fantasy metal shit.  It’s sprinkled in there but justified by the killer passages and behemoth runtimes.  Other than the production placing them a little closer to the forefront on the new song, I’m not hearing a massive leap...?  At least from their last album.  Not talking about early Elder records.

I’m reading that this new single is apparently the brightest cut from the album.  Which, I guess, makes sense as a single — gotta’ get those hooks and accessible melodies, right?  I can’t imagine the album goes a “90s emo revival” route or whatever everyone is concerned about.

47 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I’m perplexed by the disdain for the new single.  Feels like it takes a new angle for the first couple of minutes, and then falls right into place from what I’d expect to hear from Elder in 2020.  ROAFW is riddled with equally cheesy “90s” vocal moments, borderline fantasy metal shit.  It’s sprinkled in there but justified by the killer passages and behemoth runtimes.  Other than the production placing them a little closer to the forefront on the new song, I’m not hearing a massive leap...?  At least from their last album.  Not talking about early Elder records.

I’m reading that this new single is apparently the brightest cut from the album.  Which, I guess, makes sense as a single — gotta’ get those hooks and accessible melodies, right?  I can’t imagine the album goes a “90s emo revival” route or whatever everyone is concerned about.

Is “everyone” saying that? I don’t know what to tell you. I can assure you that if the previous albums sounded like this, I wouldn’t be a fan. Again, to me, it’s not just the vocals.

^ same. I'm not intimately familiar with all of Elder's catalog, but everything that I've heard I've enjoyed. I loved ROAFW. This new song sounds really lame, and it's not just a vocal departure. I'm going to be open minded and give the album a chance, but I'm keeping my expectations low.