PO NOW: ELDER - OMENS (out: 04/24/2020)

rickker

• 1 month later...

I just saw this new Elder song and was pumped up! Pressed play and turned up the volume. I had to do a double take and check to make sure I was indeed listening to Elder when the vocals came on. It's not that they are bad, just not the same as before. Actually I feel the vocals might be a improvement as I always thought Elders vocals where the weakest link in the band. 

The music is great in this new track. The addition of keyboards worked well. The song established a nice groove that builds over time and makes some cool movements. I think it's going to be a great album.

• 2 weeks later...

Reviews are starting to come in and it sounds like this Omens is "still Elder", but decidedly the least heavy and most melodic they've ever sounded.  Tears will run rampant for metal purists, that's for sure.  Some fans who've received their copies or heard the album in full seem pretty happy with it, but it's tough to say how much hype or fanboyism are factors there.

[edit]

Didn't realize a quality rip is already out in the wild – makes sense given the recent chatter – so I guess I know what I'm taking for a spin this morning.

Edited by Derek™

This album is definitely growing on me with each listen. I'm not bothered at all by the vocals, in fact, I think they're a slight improvement over previous albums. I like the proggy elements they've added as well, it's nice Elder can continue to still sound like themselves but also evolve and not get stale. Looking forward to when my vinyl copy arrives.

4 hours ago, morfiend said:

I'm not bothered at all by the vocals, in fact, I think they're a slight improvement over previous albums.

I felt the same way when the first single came out, and I feel it holds true now that the project is out in full. Not that I thought the vocals were really lacking on previous records, but I sense an improvement here. 

So I’ve listened to the album a couple of times through, and it’s much better than my initial impression of the lead song would have me believe. The music isn’t as dark, but it’s still heavy and driving, with a lot of new ideas that really work well. The vocals aren’t great, but on most of the songs they’re not bad. It’s just the vocals on the pre-release song that I think are bad. If more songs had similar vocals, I think it would hurt the album. Because it’s just one song, I can live with it, especially because the music is so great. Glad I never cancelled. 

Edited by kannibal

Ended up giving Gold and Silver Sessions another shot after feeling lukewarm about it at first, starting to really dig that one as well. For those who need some Elder LP's,  Tee Pee Records has most of them for pretty cheap and if you use the code "QuarantineBlues" you get an extra 15% off your order.

https://teepeerecords.com/

15 minutes ago, bubb4 said:

Has anyone received their copy? My pre-order from Armageddon was delayed. 

Armageddon printed my shipping label five days ago - package has not shipped as of today. With the amount of records I have in USPS limbo right now I wouldn't mind if they held off for awhile.

• 4 weeks later...